Ibis Gent Centrum St-Baafs Kathedraal
Orbitz.com
US$187
US$159
1,245 results
All reviewsgreat locationrooms are smallfree wifitrain stationcomfortable bedcity tripwalking distancechristmas marketthe main squarebreakfast buffet iscannot commentthe hotel car parkbars and restaurantscentral locationhotel barparking spaceshort stay
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Hotel is in a poor condition, peeling paint and generally scruffy. Found a giant furball of hair and dust in my room. Rooms are small, my double was in fact two twin beds near each other rather than one bed. No safe for valuables. Staff a little surly but eventually helpful. No room service so you have to go an fetch it yourself from the front desk. I can't honestly say I'd recommend it for anything other than the location. The bed was quite firm and comfy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2012

If you're one of those who'd prefer to spend their money on food and drink rather than accommodation then this is the place to stay in Ghent. Literally opposite the cathedral in the historic centre it's no more than 5mins walk to all the sites. Don't expect any frills though - it's Ibis so the rooms will be small, plastic and a bit soulless. BUT - they'll also be clean, cheap and in a great location. Brekkie costs €14 per person but there are plenty of cheaper and better places to walk to. Staff are all very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

It's an Ibis hotel, so don't expect much. Location is very central; great if you stay for the weekend and don't intend to stay at your room all day. The room is adaquate, bathroom is bit tiny, but okay clean.
Check-in took quite some time though (>20 minutes).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed here for one night, the check in desk was polite and helpful, informing me of the light festival taking place that weekend which I was not aware of. (This was either fortunate or unfortunate due to the non existent crowd control). The hotel is right next to the cathedral in the centre of town, and I found my room to be clean, with a view of the square and belfort tower. Some (larger) people might find the bathroom small but it was fine for me. I was woken up in the middle of the night when a fight broke out in the square, but you have to expect a few drunks in that location. The heater was not working in my room, and if you stay in room 518 I would be careful sitting at the very edge, it collapsed as it is not attached to the wall and only supported by one pole in the middle.

I didnt have dinner as I was out fighting my way through the crowd so I cant comment on that, but breakfast was varied. There was hot breakfast, sausages, beans and eggs, as well as a varierty of bread with meat and cheese slices, a toaster, cakes and croissants, fruit, salad and cereal and yogurts.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers might need earplugs if there happen to be drunks in the square
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Many years ago I stayed at this hotel and decided never again but decided due to limited accommodation in Gent to give it another try. It had to have been renovated after all those years..... It has and first impression were - you get what you pay for but fair enough it is a reasonable standard. You can park on the street nearby after 7pm for a few Euros, your greeted pretty well, and the room seems reasonable for what you (normally) pay (think the prices were a little high due to the high demand that week). A few things then started to nag, the bathroom at first seemed clean, but the walls were a bit grubby, the first towel I picked was clean-ish (there was something on it), and you can't sit straight on the toilet as the wall is so close! Then best of all was the AC/heater that even after you have turned it off made a noise. This plus the trams going regularly from 5am meant little sleep (I wasn't the life and soul of the meeting the next day). Breakfast wasn't bad but it was 14€! I complained the next day about the AC/heater and was told it was the bathroom ventilation - it wasn't as chucking a blanket over the one in the room shut it up! All the towels next day were clean and the receptionist I complained to gave me ear plugs. I wanted to like this place but will avoid if I can in the future, if you have to stay here avoid room 206 as my colleagues didn't have the issues with the AC/heater and trams (lucky them).

Room Tip: Avoid room 206 in fact any room over looking the cathedral if you don't like having to use ear plugs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
BMAES, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum St-Baafs Kathedraal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. All input is useful for improvement of our standards and quality level.
According to the issues that you have mentioned we have already taken some steps to make sure that in the near future those kinds of problems won’t reproduce themselves any more. To be confronted with this is almost Murphy’s Law. I do apologize and I hope that this want damage you image of the global Ibis Brand in the Belgium network.

Best regards