“Good cheese!”

Ranked #95 of 116 Ghent B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Good cheese!”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

After annoying slow train journey from bruges we arrived in gent, pie eyed from the night before. We took a taxi from the gent station to the hotel which cost 10 euro between 3 of us, which in general consensus was deemed reasonable value by the group. On arrival to the appartments/hotel/B&B we walked in and up some stairs and banged on the door marked 'office', after about 5 mins of banging an italian man with heavily gelled hair appeared from the stairs looking at us in a partially confused manner. we showed him our reservation and he explained that we were in the wrong building and this wasn't a hotel, but infact La Ducale was next door...woops.

When we did ring the bell for La ducale there was no answer. I rang the number on the door and the hotel manager seemed flustered and didn't expect our arrival. We ate an overpriced margeritta whilst we waited cooked by the italian fella who pointed out we were in the wrong building several minutes earlier. After the pizza had been eaten and afew glasses of Jupiler had been consumed we rang the bell again the manager answered. By the look of him, he enjoyed a good glass of port but was a very friendly chap and apologised for the error. we showed me to the room, a very nice appartment style building on the 3rd floor which was clean and spacious. He asked us to keep the room tidy and think he was abit nervous about the large Keg of jupiler we had brought with us on arrival. We had to pay in cash which was abit annoying as i had to go down the road to withdraw when all i wanted to do was relax and get the keg flowing, but it wasnt a major issue.

We got ready for the night out in the apartment, polished off the keg, had a nice shower and moved out to the last night gent ten day festival (a must do, the whole city was alive till the early hours). there was only one key to the apartment at La Ducale which was taken by a member of our group (Dufrais) as he left the gent festival early to catch some shut eye. However this proved a huge problem, as when the rest of our firm arrived back at La Ducale the door had locked behind him and he had decided to turn his phone off and shut the windows. WE WERE STRANDED. Reality hit home...we could be spending the night on the streets of gent!! We paniced, started to bellow DUFRAISSS as loud as we could but there was still sign of movement from the selfish camper. then we found our saving graces, an orange and a coca cola bottle, was it fate? After around 20 minutes of pelting these items at the windows of our appartment (and some of the others due to bad drunker aim) we finally woke Dufrais and made it in at 6am! after a small cerfuffle throwing his matress on the floor and some heated words we got to bed for a good 4 hours sleep.

upon waking it was great to find a tray of cheese and cold meats in the fridge with some bread also, the soft cheese was especially nice!! the breakfast was a little small for 6 of us so we banned Dufrais from eating any after his antics the night before! The beer we drank also meant we the toilet was used heavily and not long after waking the last of the toilet roll had been used with no spares in the whole apartment!! this proved problematic, but using the shower in a Bidet-esq fashion was a fair compromise.

When checking out the manager said he'd had afew complaints about us from other guests, but i don't think this was much our fault as the one key and self locking doors caused the issue along with Dufrais' ignorance!.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Belgium
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Last week I stayed in La Ducale for one night, and though I have travelled to many poor countries, I never slept in such dirty sheets as in La Ducale.
I choose La Ducale because it is really in the centre of Ghent. The location is just perfect. That is not the case for the accomodation, though it has just been refurbished. When I arrived they said I had to go to the other side of the street. There was a big appartment on the third floor (no elevator). I noticed many spots on the floor and a big one on the wall. Unfortunately I didn't take a look at the sheets on the bed.

When I returned to my room in the night, I discovered someone else already slept in those sheets.There was a spot of blood under my pillow, and the bed was full of man's hair! Since there was nobody available in the house, I couldn't even ask someone for new sheets.

When I wanted to take a shower in the morning, I discovered that there was a big window in the bathroom without any curtain. On the other side of the street is a big building so no privacy at all.

When I sent a mail to complain about this, I received no reaction.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Shropshire, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Although we booked and received email confirmation in advance for a 5 bed apartment at La Ducale, when we arrived at 4pm the owner had no recollection of our booking and we had to hang around for 2 hours for the owners to prepare the apartment. The accommodation was extremely minimal with scuff marks all over the walls and very thin floors, we could hear everything the party of people upstairs were saying like they were in the same room. The breakfast was also very minimal, basically comprising a tiny piece of cheese and ham each, a yoghurt and some sliced not very fresh bread, plus a cheap carton of orange juice. The coffee machine had a fault which caused it to overflow all over the kitchen and there was nothing to mop it up with. The baby cot completely fell to pieces and was a serious hazard but we were informed by the owner that we had no alternative but to use it. To top it all we were all covered with insect bites overnight which still haven't gone a week later. Ghent itself is a beautiful town it's just a shame we were let down by the accommodation. The location is good and easy to walk everywhere but it was noisy due to the restaurant below, the constant trams and traffic outside.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
haarlem
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I was traveling with my family and reserved a room for 5 people, we stayed for 1 night. We were really surprised with how spacious the room/apartment, it was newly refurbished, very neat & clean, fresh towels and linens, breakfast was adequate, very friendly manager/owner and last but not least GREAT GREAT location! right in the middle of the city! the only downside: No sign in front of the hotel/b&b, you could easily miss the place if you were just quickly passing by!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Worthing
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The room was dirty, inadequate, with a very difficult door lock, and the shower had very little water pressure and did not have any running hot water to use for a shower. The electrics were dangerous as the plugs were bare wire exposed and loose. The room was under construction, holes for lights in the ceiling, a make shift bathroom door frame with securing tacks protruding, un painted. The boiler was in the bathroom, un housed and bare plaster exposed. Above the bed was a display ledge, displaying many months of dust and dead insects. Where the room was situated in the house, you could hear everyone walking and moving about. Lastly, the bedroom floor was very squeaky and disturbingly noisy.

Room Tip: do not trust the photo's as they had ben edited and cropped
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The place from the moment you enter the building gives you the idea of being hosted to a friend's house. The owners are very hospitable and pleasant people!

The room that we stayed in was at the second floor, and according to the owner was the big one. And it was actually very comfortable. It was also very quite!

I wouldn't say it was the cleanest place I have ever stayed in, but the bathroom was very clean and so were the sheets! So all the important hygienic areas were more than appropriate!

The building is located 5 minutes from the heart of the city on foot, which is very helpful especially if you return back to the room with a stomach full of belgian delights! (or after a night full of clubbing!) :P

Finally, the breakfast was very nice! It felt like your aunty was preparing you a meal! we totally enjoyed it!

In general, if you're looking for a good value for money solution in Ghent, there you have it!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: The big room at the back of the building is very quite and comfortable!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I actually did not stay at this B&B, but I had a weird experience with it. I made a reservation through Booking.com for a 5 persons room. When I received the confirmation message it stated that this room was in the 5th floor of the hotel. The hotel homepage shows that the hotel has only three floors. Thus, I wrote to the hotel manager and he told me that this room is on the first floor and that there is a lift in the hotel to the other floors. But reading the customers' reports I saw that many of them wrote that there was any lift in this hotel. Finally, considering these contradictory data, I decided to cancel my reservation.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family