“La Ducale, Ghent”
Review of La Ducale

La Ducale
Ranked #97 of 116 Ghent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The staff in La Ducale were extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. The 'comfort room' was clean and very comfortable. It is within easy walking distance of the centre and the number 24 tram takes you straight from the train station to the hotel. The breakfast was simple but tasty.

The tram can be heard from the room and although it wasn't loud enough to bother us, it could bother light sleepers. Also the water pressure was a little variable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We went to gent for a night clubbing a group of girls.The apartment was clean and great value for money, very spacious although we could not figure out how to use the wifi, The breakfast box was small for 5 people but overall the apartment was great value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Avoid at all costs. Broken dishwasher, broken curtain in main room and no curtains in bedroom, broken toilet seat, bulbs out in bathroom, broken tv, whole building smells of drains, toaster kept shorting out the whole apartment, very noisy. Worst of all, the proprietor was exceptionally rude and aggressive when we complained about the above and told us he would sort things out “the hard way” if we withheld money. Clearly not the first time there have been problems – the tourist office are aware and have stopped working with this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 88PJ
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed in one of the more expensive apartments that accommodates 4 people. I can't say anything too terrible about the apartment itself. It wasn't bad considering the price and the central location. However, the owner seemed to dislike me because I mentioned that they misadvertised the price of the parking (it was 10euro and not 2.50). There were some complications with our booking (which was our mistake) and we ended up being forced to upgrade to the more expensive apartment room. I do not feel like I was rude to the owner in any way, but she clearly disliked me. When my boyfriend came by later to ask about check-out she told me that she did not like me and she thought I was rude and basically was suggesting that "he could do better". I was deeply offended that she would say something like this about someone she doesn't know at all. She said that I'm a typical "russian girl". Although I know how some russian people can be, I did not feel like I did anything to deserve her saying something like this to my boyfriend.

Other comments: there are lots of stairs , and they do not have a very good communication system with each other. We were forced to walk around several of their buildings back and forth before they figured out which apartment was actually free for us (note that we had 4 heavy bags we carried up and down with us).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2012

So we spent 4 nights in the Ducale for a long weekend in Ghent. The owners are very friendly and overall we are very pleased that we stayed there. We stayed in the comfort room, and the bed was really comfy, and it was very quiet at night.

The location is spotless, you are about a 5 minute walk away from St Baafs and the Beltower, and Ghent is such a stunning city that you are very pleased to be very close to it.

We had a slight problem with the shower, but we let the owners know and it was fixed by the time we got back to our room.

The breakfast was really nice, and we learnt to look forward to it!

Some people may not like this as it was not a luxury hotel, there is some work that needs doing in the bathroom. There is no room service but I'm sure that if you asked the owners they would do anything to make your stay comfortable.

I would recommend this place to people who just want to have a reasonably-priced and comfortable stay in Ghent.

I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The comfort room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarlyWhit
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at La Ducale in September 2012. This B&B is very centrally located, and provides a good value for the price. It is easy to miss - we walked by a few times before we noticed the bell and the little sign beside it. The owner is a very nice lady, helpful and cheerful. She showed us to the room and gave us a map of the city. The only option to pay for this accommodation is in cash, so get some cash ready if you stay at this place.

We got a room on the 2 floor of the building (the B&B is a multi-story apartment, with the owners living on site). No elevator - which did not bother us at all as we were backpacking and had very little luggage to carry. The room was very basic, no frills whatsoever, not even an electric kettle, super-weak Wi-Fi and the shower that took some skill not to spill all over the tiny bathroom (no shower curtain). But the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast next morning was quite good as well: eggs, soft bread, cheese, butter, cold cuts, orange juice and coffee (to be honest, the coffee was quite bad, around 10 on my scale of badness - something along the lines of weak drip coffee made of the cheapest coffee on the market). The owner offered second helpings of everything, which we did not need as what we got was quite sufficient.

If we wanted to stay in Ghent for a few days, and also to have some comfort during our stay, we would have picked a different place. But for one night's rest, this B&B provided a perfect combination of location and price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We rented a room at this B&B. A local friend luckily took the trouble of doing a 'pre-inspection' of the room and, not being satisfied with the standards of the rooms, reported to us that he had re-negotiated for us to be given an 'upgrade' instead, one of the apartments the owners 'renovated' - read "make look good at first impression" - in a house just across the road.

The place is simply an insult to Belgian hospitality (and I am a Belgian!).

I can simply suggest you to read all other negative experiences expressed in all other TripAdvisor Reviews about La Ducale:
We, and the other occupants at the same time we came across and whom we asked for feed back, experienced all of them: No soap anywhere (WC, bathroom, kitchen), dirty floors and kitchen (and we saw the ‘cleaners’ leaving!), NO curtains in bathroom (just a clear, wide window), no proper curtains in the bedroom, just a cloth hanging over the (permanently open) window, dirty linen and in too short supply, no mattress covers, old bread for breakfast, no lift but 59 steps to get to the top floor, rubbish piled together on the landing next to the top floor apartment, rotting smell (no surprise there), NO cheap car park close to La Ducale, but, contrary to La Ducale’s own description, in reality a 20 minutes walk away (nearby car park cost £14.50/day !), poor facilities to load/unload your car at La Ducale, creepy crawlies which leave skin bites in the morning, ...

The couple who own the place has definitely no intention to improve the situation, as can be concluded from the dates the previous similarly negative reviews are written and posted on TripAdvisor .

We simply decided to decant La Ducale after a few hours, and moved 150 metres down the same street, towards the Cathedral, to the IBIS Hotel (there are 2 of them in the Centre of Ghent/Gent, both very well located, if not better than La Ducale), where a very friendly and efficient receptionist gave us the last last-minute room, although smaller than the ‘apartments’ at La Ducale, much cheaper, cleaner and quieter than La Ducale (I love the sound of the Cathedral bells on opening the window).

Breakfast was enjoyed Al Fresco on one of the many heated terraces just opposite the IBIS.
I still love Ghent!

Room Tip: Read my review please and stay out of there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple