“Nice and modern art-deco hotel - AWFUL service!”

Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Ghent, Belgium
“Nice and modern art-deco hotel - AWFUL service!”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed one night, in a standard room at the rate of 89 EUR. We had no over-expectations as we traveled from Brussels to Brugges through Gent.

Price is more than attractive, that should be the main reason for such a high rate on Tripadvisor.

Rooms are decent indeed: large bathroom, minibar, extra pillow, villeroy boch and so on. No argue, that’s the best you can get for that price.
But what stunned as absolutely is the disastrous service – I would say non-existent.
1. We first asked for slippers as they were missing in our room. I called the reception twice and went there twice – no result (“We are out of supplies, sorry”)
2. Three (3) light bulbs were dead in our room, both bedside lanterns – so we asked to possibly replace them, but mentioned that it is not critical. Guess what – nothing happened, no lights.
3. Although you have the temperature control switch in your room, we soon figured out that does not impact the temperature, as it is centrally heated. (source – cleaning lady) It was quite cold in our room, hence on Jan 2.
4. Finally, there is a large restaurant in the hotel + lobby bar, but when I asked for two cups of tea, or just hot water, room service proudly mentioned that they are out of teapots/boilers/cups whatsoever… out of service, to put it short.

Eventually, 20 EUR per breakfast in pretty expensive (in Gent)
You will be also recommended to part your car at hotel’s parking (at the rate of 20 EUR).

Nobody said there is a public one 120 meters close to the hotel at the rate of 7 EUR/day.
Absolutely not recommended, there are plenty of other decent hotels in Gent.

Room Tip: Park your car at Sint Micheals parking lots, 120 meters close to the hotel and pay 7 EUR/day instead...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 911YLP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We had a fantastic stay at this hotel over New Year just gone.

As soon as we walked into the hotel we knew we had made the right choice in Ghent. Beautiful high ceilings and still very festive. As we had arrived early, check in wasn't possible until 15.00 due to the hotel being sold out the night before, no problem we parked the car under the hotel and went to explore beautiful Ghent for a few hours.

Upon returning the room still wasn't ready, which wasn't a problem, as the staff where very helpful especially Jelle who gave our young Daughter Emily a bag of toys,which was very nice touch and kepy Emily pre occupied. We then had a drink from the bar relaxing on a massive couch in one of the 2 lounges. The bar area is very nice serving a wide range a reasonable priced Belguim beers.(beer drinker)

Once the rooms where ready Jelle gave us our key cards, and off we went down the slightly psychedelic corridors, which are very much to our tastes. It's a very unique old building mixing classical and modern! Our rooms where standard doubles but where very nicely decorated with a massive bed, the bathrooms where lovely and our room had a balcony which would be more appreciated in the summer months!

After a beautiful meal at Du Progess where returned early to the hotel, as you would when you have such a beautiful hotel at your disposal. Where we had a few drinks right under the beautiful Xmas tree in the bar, lovely night! The next morning we had a fabulous breakfast in the restaurant. Our rooms where 129 euro per night with breakfast which i thought was a great deal due to the hotels quality.

During our stay all the hotel staff where very nice, but special mention to Jelle who went out his way to make our trip very special he is a credit to the hotel, although his weather predictions aren't very good. As we left the hotel on New Years Eve he informed us the rain would only last 45 minutes, think it was still raining New Years Day morning(ha) it didn't stop our fun.

We didn't use the spar facilities as I was worried with its relatively small size with a very busy hotel, plus we had a young Daughter who may spoil other guests relaxation time. I did have a quick look and it looked very nice, will use next time! In the same breath I'm not the type of person to walk through a busy hotel in a robe and slippers!

After another great day and night in Ghent on New Years Eve, we had another great breakfast in a very busy hotel, credit to the hotel that they manage to keep everything topped up. One slight compliant from the night before was in the cocktail bar where we had some amazing cocktails for my wife's birthday, we where slightly miffed when we checked the bill we noticed a 8.50 euro cocktail( non alcholic obviously) made for our young Daughter Emily(18 months), when it was kindly offered we wrongly thought it was a kind gesture to her.

Overall a fantastic stay in a beautiful hotel and city. Will definatly return, I hope for the Light Festival at the end of he month!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Snozzledog
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights between Christmas and NY as a change from Bruges and we were not dissapointed. The hotel is ideally located just a few minutes walk from the City centre and luckily we managed to get a parking space in the basement. Be careful where you park at the front of the hotel as we narrowly missed a parking ticket - there is metered parking available.
I would suggest taking the inclusion of breakfast when booking as you would struggle to get one of such a good quality at that price elsewhere.
The front of house manager Nikolaas was exceptionally helpful as was Laura in the cocktail bar NJOY - in fact all the staff we met during our trip were friendly and accomodating.
We had a deluxe room with balcony on the top floor which was clean, had a spacious bathroom and a really comfortable bed. The decor in the hotel is a quirky blend of modern art and classical designs and there are plenty of ares in which to relax and enjoy the surroundings.
I booked this hotel based on previous Trip comments and we will definately be returning in 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 night, stayed in a beautiful room on a corner plot where I had windows on 2 walls so let in lots of natural light.
The bathroom was lovely and the bed was big and really comfortable.
Breakfast here was fantastic- I do recommend getting breakfast if you're not sure to only pay for room only or get bed and breakfast. There's so many options for breakfast you won't be disappointment, and the restaurant area is massive so you don't get queues for food and have a wide variety of breakfast foods.
Only downside is the heating in my room was hit and miss and I couldn't get the right temperature or the unit switched itself off during the night which left me frozen when I awoke in the morning! Also I had no idea the main light was a dimmer switch (I didn't read the welcome leaflet!) so I was sat in the dark for a while before I decided to head to reception and ask for help! When I did get down to reception, the queue there was just as long as when I checked in, so I think they need more people on the front desk!
Last annoyance was the different lifts depending which part of the building you were staying in! I was on floor 1a, but the first lift I got to didn't have a floor 1a!! So i got help from a delightful cleaner who showed me to my room. Minus a point for the confusion but plus a point for such lovely and friendly staff :-)
Would definitely stay here again, only a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area so great location in a beautiful building. Worthy of the 140 euro/night rate, and so much cheaper than what I pay for horrible hotels in England sometimes!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Service at this hotel was excellent and the highlight for me was the restaurant. The food served was innovative and perfectly prepared.

Location is very convenient as Ghent is easily navigated on foot. Within 5 mins walk there are plenty of shops and restaurants plus the pretty historic city centre.

Rooms are clean and modern in decor, with a quirky style that I loved. Huge shower was a bonus too.I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed December 2012
London, England
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three nights over a long weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel is in a central location just a short stroll from most of the major sights; it's also directly on a tram route for those wishing to go further a field. The building itself is quite grand and the interior decor whilst probably not to everyone’s taste was, I thought very stylish and individual and a refreshing change from bland corporate hotels.

We stayed in the main building in a room on the third floor; the room was a very good size although it was a little dark as it only had one window; however as the ceilings were so high it still felt very airy and spacious. The room overlooked the main road and whilst you could hear the road at night I felt the noise was minimal and in my opinion would only disturb the lightest of sleepers. The bed itself was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was again a good size with a particularly large shower and what my wife described as the best robes she's come across, that said the towels could have done with being a lot bigger. The room had a desk, TV, sofa and a safe and minibar in the wardrobe; we thought that the free bottles of water in the minibar were a nice touch.

Our room included breakfast which we both thought was very good with a wide selection of both sweet and savoury items, we particularly like the fact that you could make yourself a take away coffee and would love to see other hotels take this idea up. We had a drink in the hotels main bar a couple of nights and whilst the price was quite reasonable we did have to wait quite a while to be served on some occasions, I think this may be due to there not being a dedicated "barman" rather it seemed to be waiting staff that were also doing to orders for the restaurant, this wasn't a major issue but is an area I think the hotel can improve on. We also had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night and it was excellent, really tasty food presented very well, the only thing to be aware off is that they stop service at 10 on a Sunday (possibly other nights too) our waitress didn't mention this to us so when we asked for the desert menu we were told that it was too late, again not a major issue but something to improve on.

The hotel has a separate spa which is housed in what I believe was the old stable house, whilst the gym and pool are not the biggest they were certainly adequate for a light work out and quick dip, the spa itself was a nice relaxing place to be, my wife had a massage which she thought was excellent and really good value for money.

We found all of the staff to be very pleasant and professional but feel that the stand out was the receptionist Nikolass, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for him and it felt like he genuinely wanted us to have a great time, a real credit to the hotel.

We would definitely stay in this hotel again if we were in Ghent and we would certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I spent 3 nights at this nice hotel in Gent , most probably the best one in town. it is very close to the centre, just a few meters from the major attractions, and convenient even if u need to use public transportation, i.e. the tram nr 1 stop is just half a block away. the staff is very nice, high quality food and great breakfast. i also had a nice dinner, not too expensive, and with interesting dishes. I defenetively recommend this hotel. i was in a deluxe room, very silent one, bith big marble bathroom and amenities. the room even had a small balcony facing a nice internal garden. very relaxing env. and very cosy!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business