“Fantastic base from which to explore Ghent”

Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Walking into the building you got a sense that this was a friendly, welcoming place - something some hotels fail spectacularly to achieve.

The room was large and comfortable, with an excellent memory foam mattress. Breakfast was plentiful and with good variety. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Wellness centre was great, as long as you're the only people using the pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Beautifully renovated hotel that integrates the new and old components very well.
Check-in was very quick, informative and friendly. Rooms were fab. The spa area was pretty good if a bit small but so what you have all of Ghent to explore. We stayed here during the festival in July and as this hotel is about 3 mins walk from the epicentre of activity, we still got a great nights sleep.
Umbrellas loaned for a fee is a nice touch and the open courtyard is superb with the hydrangeas in full bloom. The staff are very accommodating and friendly.
I can highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again, particularly if the prices remain appropriate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony :)
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Free parking for bikes in the garage. Upgraded to fantastic room. Good quality bed. Lovely bathroom. Balcony on two sides of the room. Very close to the centre of Gent. Very helpful staff. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We've just had a fantastic stay in this beautiful hotel. We feel we were very lucky to have had a room in the old part of the hotel. Beautiful high ceilings and old styled windows reaching up to meet it. The staff were all extremely pleasant and friendly. Breakfast was taken in bright surroundings, which every time you looked you noticed another 'little extra' and breakfast itself was one of the best we've had - plenty of everything - such choices. Spotless. Lovely bathroom - enormous shower - air conditioning. What more could you want? The hotel has a pool, and although small, adequate to have a refreshing dip. Would highly recommend on every point.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

What can I say but Wow. Beautiful old style and Art Deco mixed . A 4 star Hotel with 5 star service
Spacious room overlooking the courtyard
Breakfast was continental style and full English if you prefer a hot breakfast
Mr Ludwig on the front desk very accommodating Lots of information on what to see. Hotel
Costs a little more but well worth the price. They have parking .We will go back in a heart beat
Plan to return in September A gorgeous place to stay. Enjoyed every second. Trust me you must go. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: Try for a courtyard room.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel is truly beautiful. We were a bit tired from our trip, this was to be the last 2 days of our holiday. Once I saw the room and gardens, I was so relaxed! Our room was very spacious and homey. The bed was so comfortable, and we had a small terrace overlooking the courtyard. Instead of going into town, we decided to stay and enjoy a meal in the hotel restaurant. It was the best meal I had the whole trip. They did a fantastic price-fixed menu with wine pairings that evening, and the chef had done his/her homework!! Everything was paced well, and the service and staff were friendly and welcoming. Those of you who read my reviews know that I need gluten free foods, and once I made the request just once, they ensured the availability of GF foods each morning for breakfast, and for any other meal I had at the hotel. Very thoughtful indeed. The location was just a short walk to town, close enough, but far enough away to keep it quiet. We enjoyed the small pool, and they have a spa that I did not have time to use, but it is very beautiful. You really must experience this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the courtyard.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I LOVED this hotel during the Gent Jazz Festival. Even my friend visiting from Brussels loved the decor--modern, fresh, clean. There is old and modern European charm, smart design. It's pretty gorgeous. There is a great spa building that's free to use except you have to pay for services like massage. The hamman, sauna, pool are free. Generally you need your key to get in. Sometimes you can walk in. It's very quiet there (the spa house). I loved the breakfast and lunch--very well prepared and displayed--the croissants are very delicious and require no reheating. There is special cheese that's supposedly "rare" to get. You have a great selection of sliced or whole cheese, smoked salmon, yogurts (in a giant glass jar) or the mini portable jars, lots of fantastic teas, coffee, pastries, fruit salad, hagelslag (sprinkles), juice, etc. It's quiet in the morning. Lunch during the Festival in the garden is beautiful--there are musicians who play while you eat. In the morning, the spa is very quiet and empty--I was once the only person there, and I loved the freedom, kind staff. Rooms--My simple room was great, the decor was a stripey fun, simple look. Across from me, my friend had a big room, beautiful, roomy, airy. A huge warning: Avoid the first floor right above the dining/bar rooms. The DJ set went all night till about 4am since it was the Gent Festival's official hotel. I couldn't sleep with earplugs on, so I got no sleep. The staff tried to close the doors to the staircase, but it didn't work. I hate to give this 4 stars just because of the DJ noise, but it is a major problem because I only got 1 hour of sleep a night. Otherwise, no real complaints. Take the stairs or elevator to your floors.

Toiletries are super, I got a free bottle of water of nice water in my room (mini bar will charge, but if it's on your desk, it's gratis.) The bed was nice, but I was surprised it didn't come with an extra sheet between the fitted sheet and the blanket--maybe I just noticed it that 2nd night I was there. All in all, the staff was pretty nice. Oh, wait, I did see that breakfast opened at 7am and my friends were in a rush to leave town--the woman kicked us all out 10 minutes before even though it was set up, so my friend wasn't happy. I just returned later since I had the time (but my friends didn't).

Reception--check out--they were pretty nice with the craze of musicians having to leave abruptly.

Business room was very beautiful inside, near the reception area. Unless that's another room. I didn't explore upstairs, so someone can comment. There was water in that room--good quality! And apples, so very very welcoming.

The only unfortunate thing aside from the noise/DJ set was that it took quiet a long time to check in one day during the festival since they only had about 2 people working the desk.

A very clean and lovely place. I heard the executive suites were gigantic. The food is yummy and well presented. I would love to return in a heartbeat, but not stay above the bar.

Room Tip: Pick a room not above the bar if you can help it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo