“Really good hotel”

Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I really like this hotel I stay almost once per month in it. It is on a walking distance from the city center which makes going out at night really easy. I highly recommend this hotel if you go in Gent. Some of the rooms are small but they are always in good order. Normally my trips to Gent are for business reason but I also went couple of times with my family and we are all happy and without complains for the hotel and their staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,591)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed in the Presidential Suite for two nights the room was an excellent size with two bedrooms and two bathrooms fully equipped with modern equipment and very good value for money. The personal touches where lacking and we found the hotel nice in design but low on friendly the staff are not used to dealing high end travelers from outside of Belgium. The suite backs onto an apartment block and we were disturbed one evening by women trying scam money from us via the intercom connected to the apartment block which was a big shock.The food was also average. .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a very nice hotel and excellent quality for the price we paid. Both the room and other facilities were of a high quality.
Staff were very helpful, especially on the reception when we told them that our ferry from Amsterdam back to the UK had been cancelled.
Whilst the breakfast may appear expensive at €20 per person, it is actually very good value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I booked based upon reviews on here. Overall my comments:

1. Frenzy at 3pm to check-in. We must have waited 30mins to check-in as everyone had been told to come back at this time to check-in. Only 2 people were working for about 10 couples waiting to check-in.. this needs addressing as a matter of priority.

2. Foul smelling room. Our room (on floor 1B I think) stank whenever we walked in. Upon turning the water tap on, it's clear that this is because of the tap water. Run the water and take a deep breath and it smells stale. If you read restaurant reviews or even the wikipedia entry on Belgium, you'll see that Belgium has poor tap-water so I guess this is the reason. Restaurant refuse to offer tap water and presumably this is because it isn't potable. I travel regularly and can hand-on-heart say that I have never stayed in a room which smelled so bad :-(

People in Gent were generally not friendly (no please, thank you, excuse me) despite all of them speaking English, yet here thankfully the staff were pleasant. Other guests would cross your path, bump into you, not acknowledge (etc) in keeping with the general "unfriendly" behavior we observed from the locals.

The location of the hotel was very good and the interior decor was nice.

Room Tip: Get a room which doesn't smell, although I don't know if our one was particular or if all sm...
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Where to start? Based on the positive TripAdvisor ratings I booked this hotel back in the summer. I had engaged in an email conversation with the reception in order to find the best place to park my 2.20m car and roof box (which is only possible in the Ramen Car Park 1 minute round the corner), the staff were extremely responsive and a great help in locating a space before I had even arrived. Our stay was to turn even better though when they made the wonderful gesture at Christmas of putting my wife and our 4 children into the Presidential Suite from the two rooms we had previously booked! They even gave my children a gift each which was amazingly kind of them. The room was, as you would expect, quite simply stunning. I can hardly describe it and do it justice. Larger than my house, balconies both sides giving stunning views across Gent to the castle and the cathedral, beds I didn’t wish to leave it was unlike any room/villa/house I have ever stayed in, or am likely to stay in. But what was really special though, the measure of the place as a whole, was that even though we clearly aren’t quite a Presidential Suite family, they treated me and my wife, and more importantly my children like royalty for the entire stay. The reception staff were generous with their time to a fault, the restaurant staff patient, polite, courteous I can’t praise them all enough. Dinner was delightful with a fine selection of wine and breakfast so complete and well stocked I barely had room for lunch, or even required it. The location was also extremely helpful, a 5 minute walk into the heart of the city, or as a treat for the children a 1 minute tram ride away. All in all I cannot fault this fabulous hotel or its welcoming and kind staff. They helped make this a Christmas myself and my family shall never forget. I relish staying at the Sandton Reylof next time we visit Gent, even if we have to stay in the slightly less palatial rooms! Thank you!

P.S. I should also mention that Gent is a wonderful city, my first trip there was certainly memorable and I would gladly take the family back this year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is perfect if you want to spend a few days exploring Ghent. It's just off the main centre so it's probably a little quieter than places like the Marriot. Less than 5 minutes walk and you are by the canal and in the main historic centre.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Decorated in rich colours; just on the right side of sumptuous! The food is spot on - buffet breakfast serving such a wide range of dishes; afternoon tea has several perfectly formed courses; supper - delicious!! The staff are very polite and obliging and seem to speak a very wide range of languages. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them.

The Wellness centre in the old coach house is small but has everything you might need. The pool is not made for a major swim but there is a decent range of machines in the gym. Beauty treatments are easy to book and quite reasonably priced.

Spend the day exploring the amazing historic centre of Ghent then kick off your shoes back at the hotel and indulge in something from the extensive wine list whilst soaking up the atmosphere in the bar, restaurant, one of the comfy lounges or if you're there is a warmer season one of the garden areas.

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room. It was very comfortable and roomy. So roomy it could have benefitted fro...
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Booked a 3 night stay through Short Breaks and everything was great. The hotel is easy to find and just a short walk from the nearest tram stop (from Gent St Pieters station take line 4 and go six stops north). The hotel staff were extremely friendly and provided lots of information at check in. The hotel itself is extremely clean and nicely done with a good bar and restaurant area and plenty of 'living room' type space downstairs too. We had been allocated a twin room instead of a double but we were quickly moved upon request into a different room which was very spacious and comfortable. Walk in wardrobe, balcony, giant bathroom, comfy bed and big tv. We had breakfast included in our package and despite it being busy all 3 days we were seated promptly and food was replaced quickly at the buffet. It was all good quality and plenty of choice with both hot and continental styles available. The pool is pretty small and is meant for more of a dip than a swim but the whole 'Wellness' area is smart and relaxing. As it is European note that people using the saunas and steam room do not wear bathing suits!

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the centre of Ghent and I'd highly recommend it it anyone looking for a good quality hotel here.