“Worst pancake I've ever had”

GWENOLA PANNEKOEKENHUIS
Ranked #15 of 24 Dessert in Ghent
Cuisines: Belgian
Description: nice PANNEKOEKENHUIS doing sweet and savoury pancakes
Description: nice PANNEKOEKENHUIS doing sweet and savoury pancakes
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I visited Gwenola with a friend of mine to have pancakes. First, we had to wait quite long for someone to take our order, although it wasn't crowded, and the waitress wasn't friendly. My friend picked a pancake with butter and it literally swam in butter. When she complained about it, the waitress didn't want to help her and said it was how it was supposed to be. I picked one with sugar, and it tasted quite rubbery. Bad flavor, bad texture.
So to sum it up, bad service, bad food.

2  Thank Evy W

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I can't believe I've probably walked a thousand times passed this place. It looked old and dated and not very inviting. Hence I never stepped in. When searching for a restaurant to eat with friends on Tripadvisor I noticed the high rank of this place. So when walking passed it this noon with my parents we decided to give it a try. It was one of those rare hot days in Belgium and inside it looked a bit empty. Everything is dated and old but don't let this put you off. I went for a pancake with fresh seasonal fruit accompagnied by a strawberry milkshake. Big was my surprise when only minutes after ordering the milkshake and pancake showed up. It was literally covered with fresh fruit. You had to dig your way down to your pancake. The fruit was stunningly fresh. As if it was cut just seconds before (which I guess it was). Simply superb! Good milkshake too!

The service couldn't be friendlier!

Having read the one negative review on here I must remark that toilets are not next to the kitchen. At least the ones I found were on the first floor. And we did get a ticket, I believe.

Can't wait to go back and try more things

1  Thank davinadegeest
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Nice place for a Saturday brunch.

The pancakes were really tasty.

And i would personally recommend their mocca milkshake!

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I'm a new Gentenaar and happy to have discovered this place. It's just right to tide me over when out running errands, or as place to hang out for the atmosphere, especially on a cold and drizzly day. We like to share a savory (buckwheat) pancake (crepe) followed by a savory one. Many coffee and warm drink choices, as well as spirits options. In the heart of the Centrum, but doesn't feel overwhelmed with tourists - feels like a local joint. In fact, I think there's only one English menu in the place.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I visit Gwenola every time I'm in Gent for authentic pancakes and friendly service. No bells and whistles, just good food and coffee.

1  Thank Phoebe H