Holiday Inn Express Gent
  • Breakfast included
US$97
US$94
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewssmall choicebig car parkcity centrefamily roomparking chargean overnight staybus stopfree wifibreakfast was includeddouble bedbusiness triproom ratetea and coffeestayed here for nightscomfortable roomsboiled eggsyogurt
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is by far the best hotel offered by the Holiday Inn group in Gent. If you don't need to be in the centre of Gent, then the convenience of its location by the highway cannot be beaten. Parking cost is relatively expensive, but no more than similar hotels and seems to be the norm in hotels in Gent.

The large carpark looks to have capacity for all the guests,so finding a space shouldn't be difficult. The wi-fi is fast and works throughout the hotel. It looks like the rooms have recently been modernised; mine was large, well equipped, clean and ideal for working in.

The bar is cosy and offers a small range of bar meals, though it would be nice if this choice was a little larger. The prices are what I'd expect.

The staff throughout the hotel are professional and friendly. The breakfast which wa the standard continental cold buffet was plenty to start the day.

I would recommend this hotel to my friends and coworkers that have a car and do not need to be in th centre of Gent. I also expect to stay here again on many occasions; and will be more than happy if I receive the same value and service as I received on this stay.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Not great location if you are there to visit old Ghent, but otherwise a comfortable, clean, pleasant hotel with excellent breakfast included in price.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Big praises for the bedrooms, nice and clean, excellent breakfast and the staf are extremely helpfull an very friendly.
We booked a good deal, but then when it came to pay the bill ....
Tourist tax???? (hard to swallow, especcially as I was there for a family visit, I'm originally from Belgium)
The internet.... Maybe we should have watched our boys closer, but they got on the internet without any problems, Should there not be some sort of Child lock??? And no where was there any warning about the cost of using it. Staff also didn't warn us.

And parking to is a bit on the expensive side....

Will we go again... possibly...
It was just the bill that spoiled it for us

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Thuline H
EXHI_Gent_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Good day Mrs Thuline D

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your family tip to Gent.

With regards to your bill, i would like to inform you that the city tax is imposed by the City Council of Ghent. All hotels in Gent are obliged to charge 2.50 eur per night per person older than 12 years. I agree that this is not fun, however it is mentioned on all websites, in your confirmation and in the hotel.

With regards to your boys, i agree that young people of today are extremely tech-savvy ! We offer free WiFi access, so you do not have to worry about any charges.

Although our firewall will scan for known security risks, it is up to the end user to secure his devices. We have suggested links to free security software from Norton or Microsoft on our help page.
If you are specifically looking for parental control software, we have heard good reviews about McAfee Family Protection, Norton Online Family To Go and SafetyWeb.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing InterContinental Hotels Group.

Laurens Roels
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Nice hotel, quiet, friendly staff, we had a family room, which had 2 single beds and a couch that folded into a double bed, all beds were very comfortable, the room was cleaned every day and the style reminded me allot of a premier lodge in the uk. the bath room was spotless and well designed. there is free internet conection when you get a code from reception although our conection often stopped. in with the price was breakfast which was convenient and clean it was mainly bread, buns, fruit, yogurts, juice, tea, coffee, ham, cheese, boiled eggs.
the hotel is approx a 20 minute drive from Gent centre. and a car is a must. the hotel also charge for parking in their carpark per day..

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
EXHI_Gent_manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I must apologise for the internet access. We're are currently in the process of upgrading our network, so that we can offer our guests reliable access at incredible speeds up to 100 Mb/s.

This caused some issues during your stay because the system had to be rebooted a few times. By monday it should all be ready so that you can enjoy unlimited superfast access from your laptop, smartphone and tablet, anywhere in the hotel.

Regarding the ways to travel into the city center, may i suggest the public transport? There's a bus stop just across the hotel bringing you to the city center fast and easy. As the city center is entirely pedestrianised area, the bus and trams are your smartest way to travel in the area.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I'm originally from Flanders but have been an expat for the past years and picked this hotel more or less by coincidence as my wife and I needed to be close by in Ghent. A very pleasant surprise indeed: friendly staff, incredibly clean rooms and a not over the top but very good selection for breakfast with real yoghurt, fresh fruit, a selection of breads. When traveling on business in the country where I work (India) I usually pay about 3-4 times as much for a lesser room. Even in Belgium I feel this offers an exceptionally good price/quality ratio and I can unreservedly recommend it to people who don't need to be in the city center proper but value a quiet, very clean and comfy room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple