“Reasonable hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Gent
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel is has decent size rooms. Double bed is comfortable, which I can not say for the foldable (sofa) bed. The room has no minibar, which we didn't see when we booked it, but we survived 2 days without it. The room seemed clean, although the hotel could use a little bit refurbishing (some locks on doors looked like being broken into) and although we were in non-smoking room (or floor) I couldn't escape the feeling someone has smoked there...
WiFi was OK, TV had good channels with pay-per-view programs.
The location is OK if you stay with your car (but the parking is not cheap).
Breakfast was good, good choice, plenty of food.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sanya2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Sanya2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 December 2013

my family and I went to the market at gent. we dropped our bags and went to the center by bus and tram 2 euros each. The market was great my 10 year old loved the Ferris wheel and the skating. went back to the hotel and found the room was very large with 2 double bed for 3 of us. the room was very clean and warm. we went to the bar which severed us well. breakfast was self service and the bread was superb. a very good choice of food. booking in and out was easy. the only issue with this hotel is its location to the city. we were charged €34 for a taxi from the train station to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was there for on night on a business trip. I have paid of what i was expecting. Spacious room , wi-fi , a restaurant to have a decent meal all for a reasonable price.
The only negative issue was the quality of breakfast , including the coffee. I am sure they can do better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
EXHI_Gent_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Angelo A

We know there's many hotels to choose from in Gent, so thank you very much that you have chosen Holiday Inn Express Gent. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the same things that we find important: a clean spacious room, free reliable Wi-Fi...

With regards to our breakfast offer: Holiday Inn Express offers a varied choice of breakfast items free of choice. We'd love to hear from you what exactly you think we could add or do to make your breakfast experience better.

Never hesitate to ask one of our team members...they know where to get your preferred cup of coffee in the hotel.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it a lot and do look forward to serving your future lodging needs in the Gent area.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

A typical HI Express. Room was fine as was bathroom. Excellent and varied cold breakfast. We went at the end of October and the room was too warm. It's quite a distance from the city centre - about €17 euros by taxi each way. However it is very close to the motorway so makes an excellent stopover hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
EXHI_Gent_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel and breakfast during your stopover. I really hope you did also find some time to visit the medieval City Centre. Ghent is a beautiful city and you should definitely consider us to spend a weekend full of fun with your partner and/or the family.

Just a tip re. the temperature in the room: We did indeed experience some unusually hot days at the end of October. It's therefore good to know that all our rooms are equipped with individual A/C units. Make sure that you keep the window closed when set the temperature to your preference to Ensure optimal comfort.

We look forward to meeting you soon..

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Whilst I have not stayed at this property, they have shown simply superb service to me. My parents were staying and I wanted to organise a treat for them as they were unable to get to one of the city's chocolate shops. Not only did the fab team at the hotel go out of their way to go shopping for me and delivered to my parents in record time the correspondence was treated with urgency, professionalism and kindness. Three if the most important things for me when choosing a hotel. I will certainly be staying when I visit! Special mentions for Laurens, hotel manager and Kurt and Stephanie, thank you all so much!

Stayed: October 2013
EXHI_Gent_manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gent, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Bluepickle

When you contacted us and told us your parents couldn't get to a chocolate shop, we knew we had to solve this asap. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. However, we are proud to be Belgian too, and Belgians take chocolate very, very seriously. Leaving Gent without a big box of handmade pralines is a big no-no.

We’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you and your parents back again the next time you are in the area. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here with my wife and two young sons for a long weekend in Gent.

The hotel is situated 4kms (about a 15 minute drive) from the city centre, next to a very busy road and opposite the city's main hospital. There is a bar and restaurant attached to the hotel.

The format is typical Holiday Inn Express. The room was spacious - with more than enough space for a double bed, a sofa bed and a travel cot. It was clean - and we didn't get any noise from the road. However on one of the nights, there was a football match being played at the nearby Ghelamco Arena, and we could hear the crowd and the tannoy announcements. The air conditioning wasn't great, so the room did get quite hot.

The Wifi was fine - although a bit slow at times in the evening.

The free breakfast was good - although very busy. There's a choice of continental meats and cheese, cereals and various croissants. The restaurant next door was offering a Kids Eat Free deal on the buffet - although you need to ask the hotel reception for a discount card. There was also a 10% off a meal leaflet which could also be redeemed at the same time. My only complaint was that the restaurant doesn't open until 1830 - which was quite late with small children.

The staff were friendly and really useful on local travel advice. The hotel was currently offering a good value Gent for kids rate which meant we got free entry to the Gravensteen castle and a city boat trip.

Parking costs €10 a night, which seemed a little steep seeing that the hotel was hardly in a prime location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear BexleyStuart

Thank you very very much for reviewing our hotel in such detail. It must have taken you quite some time to put all of this online, but I can guarantee you that the entire team really appreciates it.

I would like to use this opportunity to offer 2 suggestions to make your next stay with us even better:
WiFi access: We offer a basic WiFi connection 512 Kbps for unlimited use and for all your devices. However, if you join our IHG Rewards Club [completely free of charge + takes only 5 minutes], you get upgraded to Ultimate WiFi access. This is a reliable high-speed business grade connection with guaranteed bandwidth for critical services such as VPN, Skype, Cloud services etc.
We've got kids too, so I can understand that on some days they want something to eat here and now. Why not try Bar 'De Lieve'? There's 14 hot and cold snacks to choose from throughout the day, and an additional 15 from 6pm. Ranging from sandwiches to pasta and desserts, i'm pretty sure there's something on the menu to make the kids happy again!

Tip: if you can get them to wait another 30 minutes until the restaurant opens, kids up to 13y of age eat for free from our buffet !

Once again thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to your next visit.

Laurens Roels, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Very clean and rooms of good size. Quite a long walk from the Old City Centre if sightseeing. Great help yourself breakfast. Beware, they charge you Euro10 car parking per day.helpful, friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family