“Value and comfort for the money!”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 10 October 2011

On par with Holiday inn standards, this hotel is great w.r.t comforts.
However, it is far away from the central city (Flanders expo is the place where this is) and takes about 20 mins by tram to reach there.
Night times, the area is poorly lighted - area near the hotel I mean. But when you come to this tram point, you are sure that only people who want to go to holiday inn expo come here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AskMeForTips
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and they you were pleased with the services offered our team. We already took all necessarily steps in order to repair the lights on our parking area.
On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

The hotel is excellent, but remote location makes the price reasonably good. Free internet. Good restaurant. Generous breakfast. Large and clean rooms. Good, friendly service. Parking about 8 Euro.
Only one problem we had. GPS blocked in that area and circle roads separated by the concrete walls. We saw the hotel, but didn't see the way... and came first to the neighboring IKEA parking. Few large SIGNS would be very helpful. So, car travelers should have detailed map.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TessKerr
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thay you were pleased with the services offered our team. As indicated on the signs next to the road, we advise you to shutt down your GPS when entering 'The Loop' area in order to avoid wrong indications from your GPS. this is due to new roads which are not availible on the GPS yet .

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Spacious rooms, clean, good breakfast. Light comes through the curtains. A "bit" far from everything, but very close to the tram.
I did however have an incident with the reception service on our arrrival...

We booked the rooms online. Two rooms - 3 people. During our check in, the receptionist asked if we would like to have a double room. We said we sure did. She mentioned we would not be able to open the window, as it faced the restaurant.

That was not a problem for us, but when we got to our rooms, they both had two single beds. I went down to reception ( the girl was no longer there), and Sarah told me there were no rooms available with a double bed, unless I wanted the room fitted for disabled people, in the first floor.

I was quite dissapointed, as I was specifically asked if I would like the double bed, just to be told there was none...

I went back to our room, discussed it with my husband and we decided to stay where we were. I called Sarah, told her I did not want to to move to the first floor, but expressed my disappointment. She said she was going to try and sort it out for me.

It happens that Sarah did manage to find us a room with a double bed, but when the girl ( the first one who spoke to me initially) came to my room to bring the new key, she said the room my father in law was occupying was the one with the double room, as if i was an idiot and did not check...

It was quite a small matter really, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I believe some training can solve her attitude issues. Every one makes mistakes, it would not be the end of the world for her to just say:

Oh! I am sorry, I got the rooms mixed up, I don't have any more double beds available. Sorry...

It would all be good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Inaie
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Dear Family Rocha

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to report your inconvenience about your stay in Holiday Inn Gent Expo.
We very much appreciate such constructive criticism, as it enables us to make improvements and to provide the high standard of service which our guests expect from us.
Please know that bookings through Booking.com mentions that the bed size could be 2 single or 1 large double
Based on the availability on bedtypes at check-in, the guest will be informed which type will be given. Of course, our trainee did make a mistake by confirming that both rooms will be large doubles. A simple "Sorry, all double beds are nearly sold out, I have only 1 available" was indeed a better answer. On top of that she better asked at check-in who preferred the last double bed. As I understead Sarah did find another double bed in a disabled room, but you preferred to stay in the room with 2 single bed.
Please accept our sincerely apologies for this inconvenience and may we asure you that the nesessary steps will be taken to prevent this from happening in the future.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again during your next visit to Ghent and that this incident will not prevent you from choosing Holiday Inn in the future as your next destination.

We apologise again for the inconvenience!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stay Experience: Good Stay. Service is excellent. Rooms, Bathrooms are spacious clean, Pathway is very good. Breakfast is of high quality..

Connectivity: Access by Tram -15 min to Centrum (key area), 10 min to St Peters Station.connected to highway so if you have a car it would be easier.

Feedback:strongly recommend the stay here if you can get it at a competitive price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DINESH K
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We booked this hotel, the only one we could find not way over priced or full. It turns out the Ghent Festival was going on and we were actually lucky to be outside of the city center.

This place is not easy to find. Follow the signs toward Hotel Kantor. I think the Hotel part of it is the Holiday Inn and Kantor is the building next door. Don't be surprised at having to go around a couple of times- it appears the roads are a spiral. Even the GPS is hard to follow because of "keep left, then bear right" places where three lanes take you to three different places. The engineer who designed the roads should be put out of his misery. Plan to pay 9 euro per day for parking.

The hotel was just okay. No one in the States would call this a 4 star hotel. It is very basic, except they have a nice breakfast buffet in the mornings. It costs less if you pay the night before. The staff were exceptionally nice and helpful, although one young woman sent us to a restaurant that was closed one night. Staff spoke multiple languages and everyone spoke English very well.

The room was just acceptable. It was dark and darkly furnished. The view was of Ikea. There are interior rooms with a view of the restaurant. You can't get a view in this hotel. The bed linens were fine, and there were several pillows on the bed. There was adequate storage space for folding and hanging clothes. No iron and ironing board, just a trouser press in the closet. No safe. The bed was reasonably comfortable. There was a water kettle with instant coffee, tea, and cocoa, replenished daily.

The bathroom was another story. There was quite a bit of mildew growing in the bathroom. Plating from fixtures was worn off, and not just a little. There were cracked and chipped tiles. The towels were very poor quality, old and grayish. However, there were enough. The "toiletries" were a bar of soap and a soap dispenser on the wall. Nothing else. There was no brochure with hotel information, and when I asked for one, they suggested the TV. Well, that was a joke- just about no information on the TV either. Come on- put a hotel guide in the room!

The trip into Ghent was easy- a 5 minute walk to the Expo Tram Stop, then a 10 minute ride to the center of old town. Picking up the train by the McDonalds got you back on the same route, same amount of time. It cost 1.20 each way. Parking is difficult and expensive, so I recommend the tram to get into town. You can buy tickets at the hotel desk or at the tram stop. We did not use the machines at the tram stop, so I am not sure how you pay. Lots of machines in Europe require a micro chip on the card, so best to get your tickets at the desk if you only have the magnetic strip kind.

Breakfast was good. Lots of choice, and good coffee, self-service from coffee machines, but not vending machine style. These were high quality machines.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Unless you are at the Expo, or there are no other rooms available in town, I just see no compelling reason.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rhine-and-Roses
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback on our hotel. With reference to our accessibility; there are signs on the main roads mentioning 'GPS OUT', as these roads are new and not recognised yet by the GPS systems. I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with the nice and helpful staff. We indeed have all the hotel information and room service menu on every flatscreen TV in the guestrooms! I am sorry that you were not able to find the information.
I look forwward to the opportunity of welcoming you again to Holiday Inn Gent Expo in the not too distant future.
Your sincerely

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Used for stop over on route home to Uk. Close to motorway so ideal for our needs. Inside we had a warm welcome, nice dinner and good breakfast. Perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank robcScotland

Dear Guest
Thank you for your short feedback on our hotel. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

My company is based in Gent so when I go there, this is the preferred hotel. The rooms are decently sized by European standards but some features are definitely in need of updating. Upon arrival my closet doors were completely stuck and would not open, preventing me from using the little ironing board that was mounted on the inside. I asked the front desk to send someone to fix it, I was afraid I would break something in the process if I tried to do it myself. As it was a Sunday I think they had no maintenance staff available, so they sent up one of the cooks from the kitchen! He fixed it in a few minutes so hey, whatever works.
The internet access was sufficient for light use. I loved the breakfast spread that they put out in the restaurant each morning, there were tons of things to choose from including hot English breakfast items. The coffee was pretty good. I had dinner in the restaurant one night, and it was just OK.
I didn't use the fitness center because it looked dismal... one tiny room with like a stationary bike and some weights. Not even a treadmill!
The hotel's location is a bit outside the Gent center city area, but it's a five minute walk to the Flanders Expo tram stop (red line). Just be aware, there is construction going on in Gent currently and the red line does not go its normal route through the center city area. No clue how long this is supposed to last.
For an American who's not super familiar with European hotels, this was fine. The staff is friendly and it's nice to be in a full-service hotel for those nights when you don't feel like venturing out.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tigerfly222

Dear Guest
Thank you for your extensive feedback on our hotel. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.