“Free internet in all the rooms at this hotel!”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 2 February 2008

Perfect hotel. To my pleasure I was informed at check-in that the use of internet was included in the room rate! Normally this cost a fortune in hotels and here it's finally there: available in your room at no extra cost! Room was fine and the breakfast excellent with the possibility to make your own freshly squeezed orange juice! Tram is just next to the hotel, with a direct link every 10 minutes into town.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank TravellerEurope_8
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2008

Thanks for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again. Yours sincerely Léon Raaijmaakers

Reviewed 23 January 2008

The hotel was far away from the city (10 min by car). Although they say they have a pool, in fact they don't have any! Just a small gym. Rooms are nice and comfortable and the restaurant and breakfast are quite good. So I think the worst point is that is far away, and you have similar hotels in the center for the same price. Next time I will stay closer to the centre for sure. The hotel doesn't offer any special thing. Only if you have to go to the Expo...otherwise book a hotel in the centre of this beautiful city!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Nov 16-18th - stayed here on a weekend trip from the UK by car. The location, just off the E40 motorway, makes it easy to drive to and the real bonus is being able to leave the car in the car park and get the tram into the city centre. (The tram runs until around 11pm.)

If you've got a car and want to do some supermarket shopping, there's a Carrefour very close by and in the precient of shops adjacent to Carrefour is one of the best Italian restaurants I've eaten at. Period. The name of the place is "L'altra - Italia" and the phone no. for directions and reservations is [--]. I'm convinced you won't be disappointed. We'd had a meal at the Belga Queen in the city centre the night before but were bowled over by the food at this Italian place.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 30 October 2007

I have little good to say about this hotel. Its location is terrible unless you have business at the Expo. Parking is not free, which is sad given that the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and has a large lot. Outside of a decent lobby, the hotel struck me as dirty and uncared for. Carpets and furniture alike were stained and threadbare. Again, unless you must be near the Expo, you can do much better than this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I stayed here because of a conference at the Expo Center. The hotel was fine. Nothing exceptional but not poor either. Internet access was good and the restaurant had great food. It is a bit expensive and there are not any other choices around that I could find. The train into the city stops at the Expo Center and it's a quick 15 minutes to downtown Ghent. I would stay hear in a minute if I had something at the Expo center but next time in Belgium I'll stay in the city.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2007

We stayed for a long weekend in September. This was probably good given that the hotel was not overly busy. The room was clean and tidy, and had been booked well in advance. I should add that I am also a Priority Club Platinum member. Car parking was an extra charge per day (€8). The restaurant in the atrium is large and the breakfast available is very good. We had dinner there one night. Food was very good but expensive. This is a good hotel for leisure travellers as we were as the fast tram into the centre of Gent is the other side of the Expo building (around 300m away) and was easy to get your ticket etc. Besides taking you in to the centre of town the tram also passes the main railway station and we used the train to go for a day to Brugge. We also had a couple of drinks at the bar (it was table service and the bar tender was most obliging). Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Coastal_Plainer
Reviewed 17 December 2006

As I thought I would give the HI chain one more chance after my horrible stay in Portsmouth ( see review ). I booked a double at this property.
When I checked in I double checked ( which I never do but I was a bit anxious about my stay again at a HI ) with the receptionist that we had a nice room. She confirmed this and we proceeded to the room to see with our own eyes what a dank, dark and gloomy broomcloset we were assigned. This as a platinum ambassador member in their Priority Club I could not have imagined in my worst dreams.
As a platinum member I should have been given the best room avaiable in the house . I complained to the duty manager ( which was also the Front Office Manager ). He showed me an executive room right away which we took. I really do not understand why we had not been given this room at check in.
In this room we still found a empty bottle, no writing pads and not a mention of their pillow menu.
We went to the bar for an quick coffee and was served by one of the rudest bar tenders I have ever encounterd. The FOM got involved and he apologized again but I already knew that I hade made a grave mistake in giving the HI chain another chance.
The restaurant men's toilets were a mess. One of the loo doors was almost complety off its hinges. Both towel machines were out of order.
I noticed some staff members without name badges etc, etc.
I tried to contact the GM while I was there. He never contacted me.
Contacted VP HI EMEA. Sent email to HI Gent Expo GM and they gave all my money back which I wasted there.
Leisure travelers do not go to this property.
This hotel is so near the Expo that they will get their guests anyway as they are the only hotel nearby. So they just do not have to care as Expo visitors have to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006