“Excellent stay in very affordable, clean, welcoming hotel”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
dublin
“Excellent stay in very affordable, clean, welcoming hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel on business recently. The hotel, while it is outside of Ghent itself (10 minutes by tram), is immediatly beside the IKEA store and ideally placed for the Expo Centre which is adjacent to the hotel. While it has proved to be difficult to find in the past the signage has been improved.
The reception is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and have been recently refreshed. Mine was very large and the bathroom was good and well stocked with bathrobes and toileteries.
The bed is large and very very comfortable. Sleep quality is excellent, no noise.
WiFi is free.
Service is excellent in every area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that offer free WIFI and the staff is very service focused. The bedrooms are comfortable and they offer a great sleep quality.
On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Thomas Van Parijs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Europe
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed in this Holiday Inn for just one night, but will never stay here again! Because of a injury we asked for a room close to the elevator but ended up at a room as far away as possible from the elevator! My wife asked the frontdesk clerck for anotother room but he wasn't willing to help! The bathroom was horrible because the bathtub was dirty and there ware cracks all over the sink and the sink was rusty as well. This is a 4 star property but our expierence was less than 1 star! In the past we did stay in several cheap Motel 6 properties all over the United States and never had such a bad expierence at as the Holiday Inn Gent Expo! The room we stayed in was far below 4 star level!

If you want to stay in a Holiday Inn property in Gent please stay at the Holiday Inn Express In Gent. This hotel is so much nicer than than the Holiday Inn Gent Expo!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JosephNL48
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback on our hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We can assure you that this was not our standard service level and we sincerely regret what happened. We take your comment very serious and we took already some necessary steps to avoid those inconveniences in the future. I would appreciate you contact me to provide me with more details about your stay, email: gm@higentexpo.com. This will help us to increase our service level which is extremely important.
On behalf of the entire team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Thomas Van Parijs

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Rijnsburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Our stay in this hotel was excellent! Very nice people at the desk, restaurant, etc.
Breakfast and dinner were very good. The room was clean and comfortable. We will be back!
Our visit to Gent was very succesfull. Transport to the concert of Leonard Cohen at the St. Pietersplein was very easy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MPCJM
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that our food and beverage offer has high standards. The bedrooms are comfortable, probably because of the new carpet we have in our bedrooms.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Staying two nights here, after the first night I think I can make a review. It's nice. The room is nice and clean, too little sugar in the pot (5 in total for two people) but ok anyway that's very minor.

Housekeeping arrived at 8:30am which I felt was quite strange and very early, breakfast is something crazy like €22 per person per night but if you are like me and "don't care what you have for breakfast as long as you have breakfast" then there is an IKEA right across the road where breakfast is more like €2..

This brings me onto the reason for 3 stars. The location is... appalling. It's in the middle of an industrial estate on the outskirts of Ghent and there is... nothing, locally, apart from IKEA as afore mentioned. There is a tram service which I'm yet to experience but if you think you can turn up and have a stroll around the area, think again.

Also a word to mention about physically getting here. If you are driving (depending on the way you come in) but you may be signposted and your sat nav may direct you to drive across what looks like a foot bridge. It seems that it WAS a footbridge, it's very narrow and has some sort of tarmac rolled on it, but it IS a road so DO drive over it. I ended up going round and round and round and round because I was "that's not a road". HOWEVER It looks like they are fixing the proper bridge so this could become futile in the future but it's something to think about if you are coming soon.

All in all, ridiculously priced breakfast and it's bad location mean it's "OK"

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sean M
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. You give us a few good suggestions how to improve our service: about housekeeping is starting to early, the breakfast rate and accessibility via the R4. The Hotel sings are there but probably not clear enough. We will take actions on the suggestions shortly.
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Arrived and made to feel very welcome by the receptionist Jesse, spoke good English and made us feel very welcome, all the reception staff were exceptional.
And this Holiday Inn is ahead of others within the brand group, it has free internet access to those that are stopping within the hotel, no hidden or extra charges, it was free.
The food was great, although breakfast a little costly if not pre booked, did not like the car park charge, but that seems the way these days, although at the tram station across the road you can park for free.
The hotel is out of town but a simple pleasant tram ride into the centre of Gent that takes about 10 mins is great, no worries about finding car ark spaces in the city centre.
There is some upgrading, new carpets etc of rooms at the moment although we were in the opposite end of the hotel and not bothered by it , again for us this hotel as delivered , good service, friendly staff, good food, nice atmosphere and FREE INTERNET

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grahamol
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that Holiday Inn Gent Expo is replacing the carpet in the rooms in order to make your stay even more comfortable. The works will be finished by September. That is not all: we offer free WIFI in public areas, conference rooms and the bedrooms.
London
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel during a week long trip to Belgium last week.

There are a lot of positives about this particular hotel:

1) Very convenient location just off the E40 (A10) halfway between Brugge and Brussel
2) Great advance deals available - I paid under 50euro plus tax on an 'advance rate'
3) Located next to an Ikea store: convenient for a value for money lunch
4) Free wi-fi available in your room
5) An empty fridge in your room to enable you to keep drinks and food cold

The biggest positive for me though was the enthusiastic welcome and dedicated service from a member of staff at the reception desk named Dominic. He surpassed what I have come to expect from hotel staff, (unfortunately these days), especially at hotels that are less than 5 Star rated. It was due to this member of staff that a hotel with good value room rates, great house-keeping/cleanliness and a convenient location/car park for a car driver, became more than just a good deal - it became a pleasurable experience.

I stayed at the Brussel hotel Crowne Plaza after this hotel for 2 nights, and although the staff were helpful and efficient at the Crowne Plaza, (and obviously the rooms were of a better standard), I actually enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Gent Expo more, due mainly to the excellent level of customer awareness I experienced and the great customer service provided in this value for money hotel...and genuinely friendly/welcoming staff!

The car park is charged at a 'flat' daily rate of 9.5euro and each time you leave the car park just collect a ticket from reception to exit. The 'outdoor' car park is on the lower ground level to the hotel reception. There are a limited number of spaces for disabled drivers in front of the entrance to the hotel reception and also a parking space for women: a great idea! I unloaded the car at this level and then parked at the lower ground floor level car park.

To make my review balanced, if I had to nit-pick, the water drained from the basin sink quite slowly...but hey, I have experienced that in the Hilton hotel in Anaheim, California!

One final point: on the morning that I checked out, I was careless enough to leave a small bag containing our passports and two Nintendo DS handsets in the hotel room. I drove 20km towards Brussel before I realized this! No problem...the cleaning staff were honest enough to set this aside, ready for collection. I am not sure that would have happened in my own country! Hoorah for the honest people of Belgium and the staff at the Holiday Inn Gent Expo!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank VeganLondon
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. Costumer service is a very important value to us. A warm welcome and providing a caring service level to our guests is our priority. That you enjoyed your stay more with us then a Crown Plaza, due to the service minded staff, is the best complement you can ever offer us.
Belgium
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Every time we go to the Gentse Feesten, we take this hotel. It is far from the city centre but public transportation is 5 minutes walking from the hotel. So no stress to look for a parking. Just park your car on the P + R of Flanders Expo and get on the tram. Service and rooms are good. Rooms clean and not too small. Good value for the price. The only minus is the bar. Not very welcoming and rather cold.

Room Tip: nice if you do not want to pay a fortune for parking down town