“Cheap & Convenient - But with reservations.. and probably not again”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night - thankfully, as I think that was too much in retrospect.

Location:
Mentioned before that this is in an expo park, but very handy from the motorway. Signposting from the motorway is very limited, there is a bit of guesswork on the 1-way system, to loop back around to Ikea - the signposts only seemed to show for the hotel half way around. Apart from the main reception/food area, the rest of the hotel is in need of repair and painting - chipped concrete, and rooms that look a bit dated.

Room:
We had a family room, as had a 5year old son. The extra bed was a bit limited. Thin plasma or LCD tv in room that gave a range of european channels - French, Belgium, German, UK (BBC1/BBC2), Italian, Spanish, Turskish etc. The shower was either very hot or very cold, but everything else there was OK; and our kettle did not work.
Worst comment on the room, was that housekeeping had left the feedback details of the previous guest, who had the same comments as myself, but it also contained personal details such as name, phone, email etc. on there.

Why didn't we complain at the time?... I usually do, though had just driven for 17hours from Italy, and the idea of just a bed, which was fine, was all that we needed.

Food:
Food and drink looked expensive - I think the breakfast was about 22euros, and the comments from others was that the portions were not big. Can't comment.

A note, that you do pay extra for the car park (8,50euros; and also a local Gent tax, on a per person rate), so even if you have purchased online there are around £10 worth of extras to pay locally.

On the positive
The room was very cheap.
Internet wireless is *free* from the rooms (though need a logon code from reception), which praise to them, someone brought up to our room, at 7am in the morning.
Staff, overall, were helpful.
Very convenient for Ikea, and for once my wife and I actually enjoyed browsing Ikea without the throngs of people there usually are.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2009

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your constructive comments on our hotel. I was also happy to read that you rated our team as helpful and that you were satisfied with the free internet in the entire hotel. With reference to your comment on the condition of the room, we are in the process of planning a rooms refurbishment! Also to respond to your comment on our breakfast to have small portions ; we do provide an entire buffet breakfast, which can be best described as the largest and most extensive buffet breakfast in Ghent.
Please accept our sincere apologies that you found a guest comment which has already been completed. Should in future you have questions whilst staying with us, our duty manager would be delighted to respond immediately to your needs.
It will always be a pleasure to serve you.
Yours faithfully

Reviewed 8 August 2009

The hotel is located far from anything interesting unless you want to explore IKEA. The restaurant closes at 10pm and there is no place anywhere around for dinner. Worse, our room's window had been left open and the room was full of mosquitoes, we killed more than 20 (no exaggeration) so had a very unpleasant night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2009

Dear Sir, Madam

Thank you for taking the time to report the inconvenience of the mosquitoes in your room. We have a notice on every guest room window advising to keep the window closed, as during summer, mosquitoes might enter the guest room. I can understand that this might have caused you trouble getting to sleep. I would like to apologise for this. With regards to the restaurant opening hours, the restaurant is indeed open until 10pm. I hope to be able to welcome you again to the Holiday Inn Gent Expo.

Reviewed 17 July 2009

I agree this is a friendly hotel... they showed some empathy when we arrived after a very stressful trip including getting lost in the parking lot of the neighbour Ikea and the front desk was very helpful in giving us advice about the city.
That's about it on the positive side...
10' drive by tram??? Maybe at 3 at night (although I doubt there would be trams at that time) but we got stuck in the traffic jams to enter the town centre, even by tram, and it took us more like 1/2 hour!
Renovations??? Not in a million years! This is not worth a Holiday Inn. The big atrium seemed cleaned up (cheaply), but the rooms are horrible! Hallways ae just depressing! We had the impression to be in a prison camp.
As I said, the staff are doing a good job but this hotel needs money!

By the way... we will certainly go back to Ghent! What a gem!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CorkShortbreaker
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

Many thanks for having taken the time to write this comment. Only in this way we can improve our service.
I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the friendliness of my team and that you have enjoyed Ghent. With reference to the tram to the centre, I am sorry to ready that it took you 30 minutes to go to the centre due to traffic congestion. Your comments on the state of your room and public area will be taken on board, as we are busy with refurbishment plans for these areas. The atrium, lobby and bar indeed have already been entirely refurbished.
On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Gent Expo. It will always be a pleasure to serve you.
Yours faithfully

Reviewed 1 July 2009

I went to the Holiday Inn Ghent Expo last week and had an extremely good experience!!!

After my check-in at the reception (with a smile) I went to my room! The room was clean and spacious (nice bathroom). My colleague reserved a table in the Restaunt. The quality of the food & service was perfect and the restaurant gave me the feeling that I was on holiday in case of a businesstrip! So we drunk some beers in the trendy bar!!!

For Your Info: FREE WIRELESS INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortly: my experience => it was a relaxing businesstrip!!! I'll be back ;-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2009

Many thanks for your constructive feedback about our hotel. I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service and facilities offered at our hotel.
On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again to our hotel.

Reviewed 1 July 2009

I do not agree with the last review! I stayed at this hotel with my partner and we were very happy that we have chosen this one! Maybe, it is not located in the city centre, but you can take the public transport and it only takes 10 min! The hotel is nice and clean and has a nice open restaurant in the atrium. Food was good and not overpriced.
The rooms are clean and have a flat screen tv, airco and what was very interesting is that internet is free for the hotelguests! Me and my partner had a great stay here! We will surely return!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GGemis

I would like to thank you for your kind feedback on our hotel and that you were satisfied with the service and facilities in the hotel. In particular I was pleased to ready that you are happy with the free internet we provide throughout the entire hotel and the tram station next to the hotel with a direct link to the city centre! On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 31 May 2009

We arrived having negotiated the roads which seemed to take us round in circles!! Great location though, across the road from IKEA and 5 mins walk from the tram station, so really easy access into Gent centre.
Reception were really helpful and when we requested extra pillows these were ready and waiting for us when we returned to the room.
Like a lot of hotels it doesn't look too promising from the outside but, the atrium, which houses the restaurant and bar is lovely. The family room was fine- for our kids the sofa bed was a little small as the youngest morphs into a starfish when in bed!! But that is our problem rather than the hotel's!! Tea making facilities were great, the first out of 3 hotels we stayed in across europe to have them.
Overall a really good choice, only 15mins to the centre by tram and then easy access onto the motorway- perfect.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2009

Many thanks for your valuable feedback!

As recently new roads have been added around the hotel, I can imagine that you initially had to drive in a circle. Please take note that after your visit, again additional roadsigns have been placed signposting the Holiday Inn Gent Expo!

I am happy to read that you were overall happy with the service and facilities at our hotel.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 May 2009

Located on an exhibition centre site, which is a bit of a concrete desert, the saving grace for us tourists is the tram link to the centre of Ghent - quick, cheap and frequent. We specifically did not want any city-centre driving so the location directly off the motorway was an attraction - and easy to find: follow the road signs for "Expo" then for "Hotel". Not impressed with having to pay for parking in such an empty, out of the way place but we knew about the charge when we booked.

I guess it's a typical business person's hotel - fine by us for a short (one night) stay. Helpful, efficient English-speaking staff (no problem checking in a little early) offered us a useful guide and map of Ghent without being asked. We didn't eat in but breakfast looked good (our room overlooked the atrium/restaurant). If you want to eat cheaply, you can pop across the car park to the cafe in Ikea (hey, it's part of the fun!).

The room was a good size, clean and air-conditioned. Not sure about the bed - unusually, neither of us slept that well. Good value too: reduced rates were readily available for booking a week or so in advance - I guess this depends on what's taking place in the Expo at the time.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gurnall
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2009

Many thanks for your comments. Next time, I can recommend you should certainely try our restaurant for dinner. Please take note that our matrasses are of Holiday Inn's high standard!
I am pleased to read that you also made use of the excellent tram connection to the centre of Ghent.
It's so much easier than driving into the centre of Ghent and trying to find you way in the one-way traffic. This can be difficult as Ghent is a truly medieval city with a lot of small one-way streets.
On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.