All reviews car park city centre tram station bit dated public transport easy access hotel is located pleasant stay family room ikea motorway atrium gent exhibition belgium euro brussels
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Holiday Inn Gent Expo does not have the best location. It is located out of the old town and you will need to go by tram and walk 200 metres to get there. However, what it is lacking in location is more than being made up by the quality of service. I was provided with 4 bottles of water (2 still and 2 sparkling) everyday and 2 bars of chocolate! The staff are nice and helpful and are able to offer me good suggestions on places to go and sites to see. If I do come back to Ghent, this will still be my choice.

Rooms: The hotel and the rooms are a bit dated but they are nice and clean! I was upgraded to a executive suite and it was big. There is a fridge in the room, and a kettle for hot drinks (coffee, tea, chocolate provided in the room). There is free internet which is nice.

Bathroom: nice and clean as well. again the design is dated but that does not bother me. There is a bath tub which is nice to soak in after a cold day of wandering around the city.

Location: Like I said, it is not the best location being out of town, but at least it is quite and safe. It is located across IKEA which is nice for me to shop and fix my meatball craving.

Overall, I really like this place and will definitely stay with them again if I come back.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
J2798ABinfo, Front Desk at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Dear Julianatay,

First of all let me thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Ghent Expo and sharing your experience about your stay with us.

It is such a pleasure to read that you have had a great time with us and that we could make your stay even more enjoyable!
We are glad to read that you were satisfied with the upgrade to an executive room and it together with the amenities all met your expectations!

We hope to see you back soon!

Kind regards

Bianka Solymosi

Front Desk

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

The receiptionist was very nice. They helped me to print out my flight ticket. They also sent me iron board straight away to my room few minutes after i called to borrow it. The room was so nice and so cozy.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Management response:Responded 29 November 2016

Dear Fatin17,

First of all let me thank you for taking your time and share your thoughts with us about your stay!

It is so nice to read that you have had a great time with us, and you enjoyed your vacation here!

We always do our very best to provide a great experience to each of our guests, so we honestly appreciate your comment about our friendliness!

We hope to see you soon!

Kind regards

Bianka Solymosi

Front Desk

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

Quite hard to find specially if you don't have a GPS adding the small construction occurring. 10euro park fee day. Best to park just across the lane still free....
Understaffed.. Only 1receptionist.
Rooms are OK.
Bathrooms OK. Nice warm water.
Bathtub bit rusty
Try to avoid the ground floor. Quite noisy.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
genthotelier, Event Coordinator at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Dear Jose G,

Thank you for your feedback and score.
We are glad to read that overall you have experienced a pleasant stay with us.
The construction area is unfortunately out of our hands, we try to put as much signage as we are allowed to, to make it easier for our guests. This is also why we are offering reduced parking rates to our residential guests. Regarding our staffing, we always provide 2 receptionists for check-in. It could be that at some point one of them was helping out a guest away from the reception desk. Apologies if this caused any inconvenience during your check-in.

Nonetheless, we hope to welcome you on a next occasion.

Kind regards,

Birgit De Peuter
Front Office

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Very well located hotel, quite high prices, awesome breakfast

We liked:
- Awesome breakfast
- Clean, nice and large rooms

We didn't like:
- Old looking furniture
- Old looking bathroom
- Very poor tv channels plan
- Prices for everything are quite high
- The area is a mess, there is a construction site in the area that is noisy and as well the access to the hotel is disturbed

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Firstly like other reviewers have mentioned is the poor access to the hotel. I am new to driving abroad and this layout was enough to induce a panic attack, especially with it being dark when I arrived. At one point I thought I would never find access.
The car park is below the hotel, which means you have to drag yourself and your luggage up a flight of stairs (maybe there was a lift but I never found it).
The ticket machine is on the wrong side for UK cars, meaning you have to run around the other-side of the car, again another annoyance.
The hotel itself it quite tired, but absolutely spotless and comfortable. These are the most important things when staying in a hotel. The staff I met were quite pleasant.
The one morning that I chose to have breakfast, I had my coffee taken off my table when I went up to the buffet - It was a full, hot cup, so obviously someone was about to drink it! That was very annoying as I couldn't be bothered to get another and wait for it to cool. I need my coffee fix! The selection of breakfast items was the usual offerings. Nothing special.
I ate in the restaurant one night, it was again quite average and expensive. The house salad was made up of some peculiar items and was very gritty. Good beer. Service was good and quick.
I probably wouldn't stay in this hotel again due to access issues only.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Rachel S,

Thank you for your score and feedback.
The works around the hotel are unfortunately out of our hands but are meant to improve the area which we are looking forward to. We have tried to add as much signage as allowed, we are sorry that you had to experience difficulties to reach our hotel. Furthermore, we recommend our guests to drive up the bridge to drop off their luggage before parking. However, I will communicate to our management this is not clearly mentioned upon arrival. Also, the feedback you gave about the breakfast service will be directed to our management for follow up, thanks for informing us.

The road works are only temporarily, we hope that when they are finished, you will visit us again.

Kind regards,