“Nice Hotel, shame about the surly surly staff and customer unservice”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is a nice hotel, if you can find it.

Very good food.

Look for the IKEA building and in the shadow is this hotel.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is what you would expect but the staff are UNREAL.

I travelled with Team Tango (previous review) and frankly we were ashamed to have an American colleague with us as our treatment as an embarrassing shambles.

I won't repeat the same comments just add that the staff (with the exception of a superb female waitress who served us dinner on twice - she was excellent)

Lunchtime the restaurant is closed

There is nothing nearby (except the HUGE IKEA) so, unless you want to eat Danish Furniture for lunch then pack some sandwiches

The main bar was closed all day every day.

HINT TO STAFF:

If you work in a hotel reception, try adding a SMILE to your face

If you work in the RESTAURANT (except that great female server) its probably not polite to SIGH and put your head in your hands when a guest asks for a table.

And one final note, please don't turn off the lights just because management cuts means that you have to close down at midnight as that might upset the guests who are still in the room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank shorehambeachUK
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

Dear Guest
As per previous feedback, our sincere apologies. Please be aware that our hotel operates two bars. Indeed the other bar was closed the previous weeks, though one bar always remained open until midnight. Since yesterday the second bar is also open again. The restaurant and bar were open daily. A tram stop is just next to the hotel, which takes you in 20 minutes right to the centre of Ghent.
On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again.
HOLIDAY INN GENT EXPO

Reviewed 5 September 2010

This hotel should hang its head in shame over the level of service. I took a colleague and client to stay here for 4 nights and the service was so bad we talked about this aspect more than our business! let me explain in detail:
First, on the first night and whilst in the rerstaurant we were talking. At midnight a waiter turned the lights out and left us in the dark! No warning, no explanation, nothing. Can you believe that? The restaurant shut at midnight but we didn't know this, and no one bothered to tell us. Unbelievable.
Second, on the second night we went to the restaurant rather late, about 10 pm. When we asked to have a table for 3 ther waiter (a different one this time) literally put his head in his hands and expressed exasperation at us eating so late as it had been "very busy" that night. Unbelievable again! Whilst he made a table up for us could he not have hidden his displeasure?
The positives are that a female waitress was very good, the food quite good (although the menu limited).
Other poor quality issues were the gym - a joke and a really poor effort. The location was awful but that didn't really matter, and the drive to find the hotel, as other reviewers said, was nigh on impossible.
Overall, when I return to Gent, I'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2010

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor. Our entire team aims to deliver the best possible service towards every guest. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the food and service by one of our waitresses. The opening hour of the bar is indeed until midnight. I apologise that you were left in darkness after midnight in the bar and for the fact that you did not feel welcome in the restaurant at 10pm. Please take note that we have again opened up our second bar on the ground floor. On behalf of the entire team, I still look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Yours sincerely
HOLIDAY INN GENT EXPO

Reviewed 21 July 2010

When I got into Ghent I took a taxi from the St Pieters Train Station to the hotel and 18 euro later I said what did I do, then the hotel staff showed me how to use the tram system and the #1 tram for 1.20 euro takes you right downtown as well as right to the same train station. The hotel staff was great and super helpful. I saved myself $50.00 a night staying here instead of right downtown and would highly recommend staying here. The bed was super comfortable. Just bring a hair dryer they dont have them in the bathroom

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to ready that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find our beds very comfortable. We do have a 1.200 Watt hairdryer in every room. It is indeed not in the bathroom. It is in one of the drawers of the desk. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

This is the most difficult hotel to find that I or the driver of our coach had ever come across. Once off the main road it entailed a tour around an IKEA car park with very little signage to help. However, once there, it's worth the trip.
As there was no exhibition on at the time, the hotel was blissfully quiet. The rooms are superbly appointed and very generously sized. The restaurant is very attractively situated in an open 'basement' area. The breakfast choice was excellent.
We thoroughly enjoyed our too short stay.
Getting into Gent isn't a problem as the No1 tram terminus is close by. Just make sure you can locate it in relation to the hotel, as it isn't visible from the terminus.
Enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2010
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your constructive feedback on our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially the rooms and our breakfast selection. We are again in touch with the City Of Gent to improve the signage to the hotel though as the roads around the hotel have recently been changed, no GPS recognises the new roads yet. It is best to follow the large black signs 'hotel' and 'Holiday Inn' that the City of Gent has placed. From 1st September 2010, new illuminated Holiday Inn signage will be placed on the side of the hotel facing the tram station and Flanders Expo. Once again, thank you for your feedback.
On behalf of the entire team, I look foward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Gent Expo in the near future.
Holiday inn Gent Expo

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Friendly staff, spacious and clean place. The road system around the hotel is strange, you pass it two times before you reach it.
Better signage would help.
Tram to city around the corner (200m), reception desk sells tickets ! Easy.
Food in restaurant is excellent (drinks and wine a little expensive).
Ghent is a wonderful city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2010

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your constructive and kind feedback. I share all feedback with my entire team. Therefore, please be assured that my team will have the opportunity to read your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed here purely for the sleep sadly - we were just passing through Belgium with the car.

The room was fine, and we got a good night's sleep. On such a hot day/night, the air conditioning was much appreciated!

We booked last minute and for that the price seemed pretty good. Not sure I would call it a four star place, though, but it was good for us and our purposes!

Almost 10 euros for parking seemed a bit much, but I guess that is because it is so close to the expo centre.

I think breakfast could be better, given that we paid extra for it, but other than that, a pleasant night's stay and a good rest!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
genthotelier, Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback on our hotel. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back so you can visit perhaps Gent a little longer. Gent has quite recently been voted 3rd most authentic city in the world by national Geographic. It is a beautiful city which is well worth visiting.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn. The rooms were very spacious and clean and tidy. Breakfast was included and was a typical continental type (which was absolutely fine). Drinks in the bar are extremely expensive (about £12/13 for a tia maria and coke and half a beer) but Belgium and Holland seem pretty much the same price wise. We didn't eat in the restaurant as it was really busy (there were coaches outside) but we did ask at reception and they told us of a very nice Chinese (Chess Cafe) about 5 mins walk away (which we highly recommend). For a one night travellig stay, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
genthotelier, Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2010

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback on our hotel! On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.