“Great hotel in centre of Gent”
Review of Hotel Gravensteen

Hotel Gravensteen
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We arrived in Gent/Ghent and needed a place to stay. They offered us a small suite with a queen sized bed and a couch that made into a single sized bed for a reasonable rate. We enjoyed sitting in the courtyard enjoying a drink before dinner. It was great to be so close to everything at night. We were even allowed to park at the hotel,although I do not recommend trying to drive in Old Gent - what a nightmare of one way, blocked off and irregular streets.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for business travel. The service was excellent and the room very comfortable. The staff made excellent recommendations for nearby attractions and restaurants. The chocolates delivered to my room were the best.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Durodola
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Was in Gent to meet with new colleagues at University College HUB-KAHO, colleagues selected our hotel- hotel Gravensteen. We arrived late, and despite the hour, the hotel staff were vey accommodating, friendly and so helpful. I messed up my reservations, somehow made them for a month later. the staff jumped right into action to accommodate, find a room and notify me of any cancellations so that I would have 4 contiguous days. The rooms were in section apart from the hotel, no problem. My room was cozy, quiet and comfy. I slept well and had no complaints. The front desk staff rotated throughout our stay and without fail each was so friendly and knowledgeable often helping us make reservations in restaurants, find the best chocolates or simply help us get to our destinations. The hotel was centrally located to the squares and walking distance to some gray restaurants. First rate all the way.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jorge G
grave1, General Manager at Hotel Gravensteen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Jorge G.,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay in our hotel!
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel Gravensteen has great prices and a super central location in Gent. Easy to walk to all attractions. Beautiful lobby. Good breakfast. Comfy but run down room. The first night our roof or our tub (couldn't tell which) leaked and our floor, carpet were soaked from that point on. They gave us a free breakfast for our trouble (not a very satisfying adjustment). Staff are blase. Manager never available. Comes in late. All in all, I would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
grave1, General Manager at Hotel Gravensteen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear
Thank you for your review regarding your stay in our hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Ghent. It was also a pleasure to read your positive feedback about the location of our hotel, the lobby and our buffet breakfast.
I am sorry for the plumbing problem in your (bath)room during your stay. We have checked the room immediately after your report. We didn’t receive any complaints about this issue anymore.
I have been informed about the issue, and have been dealing with the follow up. I did not receive a request to meet each other, so I am sorry we could not catch up.
I wish to express my apologies if our staff wasn’t friendly and helpful. The entire team of Hotel Gravensteen always strive to give our guests the best experience during their stay.

I would like to thank you for your time and for sharing your experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a really poor quality hotel & even though it was just three stars, it was disappointing. Apart from a new girl who checked us in, the rest of the staff were offhand at best & almost rude when I reported the problems with electrics & the safe. We had our dog with us for which they were happy to charge extra but then put us in a noisy street front room with dreadful access down a steep set of back stairs. In a fire I don't think we could have gotten out. In the bathroom an electric socket & light fitting were both broken. The safe was not affixed to anything & could not be accessed as it was open but stuck in the lock position. The wooden floor looked modern in the photos but was actually just roughly sanded back so we got splinters from it in bare feet. Very disappointing in every way!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LM B
grave1, General Manager at Hotel Gravensteen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Sir and Madam Braithwaity,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay in our hotel .I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations this time; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We wish to express our sincerest apologies if our staff seemed to be rude to you, or wasn’t helpful in your opinion. We always try to solve a problem in a proper way and when reported to the receptionist (for example the problem with the lights/electric sockets and the safe).

Unfortunately you were less satisfied with the comfort of your room, located in the main building of the hotel. If you would have wished for another room because the noise of the street (although they have double glazing), we would have offered you another one in the other part of the hotel (according to availability at that moment). The rooms are located at the inner court, are more quiet (no street noise/traffic) and don’t have a wooden floor.

We appreciate your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your experiences and hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Tired decor with carpets on the wall and a shower I could not stand up in. Disappointed with the room, although bed comfy. The reception and bar area are nicely decorated and staff friendly. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A perfect base from which to explore this beautiful city. The hotel is plush, comfortable and clean. Breakfasts are ample. Service is excellent. Very pleased we chose this hotel.
The only negative was sketchy wifi.

Room Tip: Room 15 has a (slim) view of the river. It's a very nice room!