“Good for a solo traveller”

Poortackere Monasterium Hotel
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Canada
“Good for a solo traveller”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

This was the cheapest place I could find for a 3-night stay in Ghent since all the B&B in town were quite full around that time (last minute booking). I wanted to stay in a place that was close to the historic city center. Upon arrival at the Gent-St.Pieters train station with luggages, I opted to take the taxi to the monastery which cost me 12 euros. I arrived at the monastery at 1pm and was able to check-in early.

I booked the single guestroom and was assigned Room 2.7 I think. It was the second room down the second floor hallway. There was an elevator that took me straight to second floor. The room is tiny with basically a bed, a chair, a sink with mirror and a cupboard. Floors were squeaky and walls are thin. I could hear my neighbour's snoring all through the night. Yikes! Aside from that, the room was clean with very stable Wi-Fi. I typically shower at night and it appears that I'm the first one using the shower stall after their daily cleaning, so the showers were really clean each time i use it with plenty of hot water and great water pressure. The lights in the hallway were also motion-sensed, so it's pretty dark when you first walk down the hallway despite the night-lights at the end of the hallway. The lights turn on on its own once you start walking. The washrooms were located between each floor by the staircases.

The tourist spots were all within walking distance from the monastery and the tram station to/from Gent-St. Pieters station were also within 10-min walking distance. The tram ride itself was within 10 minutes. Once you start heading toward the city center, there are plenty of coffee shops for breakfasts, which I prefer over the 17.5 euros hot/cold breakfast at the monastery.

Overall, I would say this is a cheap and convenient location to stay for a solo traveller. The area is quite safe and within walking distances from the city center. If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest bringing ear plugs with you since the walls are thin. Check-In/Out went very smoothly and the receptionists were very kind. I paid 46 euros/night here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cookiedoughy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

We've stayed at this converted monastery several times, and it has proved an excellent base from which to enjoy Ghent.

The fact that we keep returning says much about it's convenient location, friendly atmosphere and excellent value for money.

Do not expect amazing luxury, but you are guaranteed a friendly welcome and clean simple rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a workshop held in a nearby college. I loved the atmosphere of the building and the music playing. I paid over 100 euros per night for what was a very basic room, albeit large with a big bathroom. I thought Ghent was a beautiful city with plenty of character. The hotel location was great but value for money not so good.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here early in 2011 while on a conference trip (taking place in the same building in fact). The price for a single room in the monastery was very reasonable, so I went in hoping lightning would not strike me as I tried to cross the threshold. While the rooms were pretty basic, they were more than adequate (a picture on the wall above the bed of Jesus Christ with a blooded wreath on his head was a highlight). The shared bathroom was surprisingly modern, and the whole place was very quiet with a lovely atmosphere (the chapel at night was great to peek into at night before bed, and wonderfully eerie). The breakfast I heard was not great, but I avoided it simply due to the price. As the monastery is very central, it was easy to just walk out to a deli for food. My only annoyance with the place was the cold - I was there in January and it was freezing. The radiator in the room wasn't very good and while there were about 5 blankets on hand, I didn't get a great night's sleep. Considering the price though, I wouldn't have had a much better one at a noisy hostel so I was happy.

Room Tip: An upper floor might be nicer so you are not disturbed when people come in at night (they have to us...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed in a single room (slot 2.8) with shared bathroom and a separate shower. I have nothing major to complain about regarding my stay there. I payed around 45 euros a night which could be regarded as quite steep for a hostel, but being located in the heart of Ghent I would beg to differ. And hey no other hostel I've ever been in has supplied me with a bathrobe before and my view of the chapel building was very nice.

Yes the floors are squeeky, extremely squeeky (they sound like you're stepping on a squeeky toy) and the rooms are not exactly sound proof. You can hear your neighbours comb their hair basically. I was lucky because there were not that many guests around in my wing, but I can imagine it being very difficult to sleep if there are loud guests around. The rooms are clean, the hotel grounds has a nice atmosphere and the shower facilities are very up to date with plenty of hot water. Also the WiFi is very quick even though you're quite far from the reception building. The staff (there are always new faces behind the counter) are of all ages and quite friendly. I didn't have breakfast there as I read it was close to 20 euros. But there are plenty of cafés in the city center just a few minutes walk away where you can eat plenty for 5 euros.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Amazing ambience! Very friendly and helful staff. Helped me to print my boarding pass. I forgot my wallet in the internet room and it was still there! So a very safe place. Very clean showers. Nice to have free tea & coffee on each floor. Very close to the old city.

Luckily I always travel with earplugs and an eye mask. Think the hotel should offer people that upon check in as the walls and ceilings are very thin. People staying in rooms above are very noisy when walking on the wooden floors. I could hear the person in the next room talking on Skype. Perhaps there should also be a time when everyone should be as quiet as possible and close their doors as quiet as possible, e.g. after 10pm. People staying above my room (slot 2.7) were partying until 1am and I could hear them even with my earplugs in. I also think the price of EUR46 is a bit too high for the hostel rooms, should be around EUR30. Pity the breakfast is so expensive (EUR17).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Stayed at this hotel as it was recommended as the closest hotel to a conference I was attending at a Gent University building a few hundred yards away. In fact most, if not all, of the guests were attending the same conference.

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. It was certainly different, as it is based on an old monastry, and has all kinds of interesting rooms and corridors. My room was large, with a large bathroom, and comfortable bed, overlooking the rear yard. However, just near my room were two shower rooms, to cater for the smaller rooms with no bathrooms, and I could hear the water running quite loudly whenever anyone used them, particularly early in the morning.

I did not have breakfast, as it was provided at the conference, but at EUR 17.50 it seems to be on the expensive side. I do not believe they offer lunch or dinner, but plenty of restaurants within 5 minutes walk. Free hotel WiFi which was quite useful, and parking for EUR 10 / day, which was reasonable.

I get the impression that this hotel caters for groups as its main market, and whilst I would/will stay at it again for next years conference, I am not sure I would use it for say a weekend break in Gent with the family. It is also not cheap, uinless you take on of the basic rooms.

One member of staff who absolutely stands out and who is a credit to the hotel is TIm, a guy who was helpful, friendly, spoke at least 4 or 5 languages and who dashed backwards and forwards between reception and the small bar and who was a mine of information on restaurants, bars etc.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business