“Great dinner tastes”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We ate a set dinner here at the occasion of the resto-days. We enjoyed every single course, the wine arrangement complemented beautifully with the dishes, I can't understand why the place was not fully booked. Unknown maybe? We will be back, maybe to sit under that beautiful three in the garden if the weather allows it.

Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thanks for the review
kind regards

Reviewed 20 May 2013

When we entered Le Duc, we were immediately warmly welcomed by the owner, who showed us our table in his homely restaurant. A minute later, I felt in love with this place:
- the restaurant is located in a stately home, renovated with lots of taste,
- the tables have ample space between them, so that there is no risk to find your neighbour’s elbow in your plate,
- the light is pleasantly tempered with lots of candles around,
- finally, there is soft pleasant classic music throughout the evening.

The dinner was in line with the elegant surroundings. We took the “Menu Dégustation”, which was out of this world. It included:
- various amuses, including tasty, marinated halibut,
- starter: carpaccio de Saint-Jacques, tender, tasty and delicious,
- a curry soup with mussels, same judgment
- main course: monk fish, green asparagus and risotto. I am a great monk fish lover, but this one was really deliciously prepared, very firm and tasty with a light truffle sauce. The asparagus was also cooked to perfection. In most gourmet restaurants, you get a tiny portion of well prepared food. In Le Duc, we got a deep plate full of this superb dish.
- desert: fresh little strawberries with light, heavenly ice-cream.
The dinner was accompanied by two bottles of an elegant St. Veran, for € 47 per bottle, not cheap, but a worthy companion to this excellent dinner.

I was so pleased that the next day, without telling my wife, I went back to see whether this place really deserves so much praise. It was, indeed, equally excellent. I ordered the house chardonnay, which was much cheaper than the St. Veran and also very pleasant. Not long ago, I wrote a (deservedly) harsh review about another restaurant in Ghent, “Bord’eau”, located in a beautiful setting, but serving mediocre food, served by untrained, clumsy people. Le Duc is located in a rather busy street just outside the city center. The culinary feast which is waiting for you is well worth the five minutes extra walk. To me, this is one of the top restaurants of Ghent.

1  Thank Advocate7
Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thanks a lot for your review
it means a lot for me.

I hope to see you soon

Reviewed 19 May 2013

One of the very best fish dinners that I have ever had. I am a very seasoned traveller but this is my first review. Mark (Cape Town)

Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thanks for your review, great to read this

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed in the hotel across this restaurant and decided on a Tuesday evening to stop by with our two year old baby son. The menu looked interesting and the interior was embezzling. Dark wood tables, a cristal chandelier set the right tone for a demanding dinner evening. The oysters were extremely fresh and of high quality, and the cuttlefish that my partner had ordered was very tasty. As a main course we had maigret of duck, and a delicious daurade. The maigret lacked a little bit creativity, but was OK. Finally as a dessert we had two strawberry tiramisu. The food experience was very pleasant; we were surprised that only one waiter was available. At the peak there were nearly 40 guests, and I have to say I was wondering how he managed. That was the reason probably that we took over two hours to have our dinner, and we stretched the patience of our babyson. Including two glasses of nero davola we paid some 92 Eur, not cheap but well worth the excellent dinner and ambience.

Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Hello,
many thanks for the nice review.
I am happy you enjoyed your diner.
Sorry for the time if you had to wait longer as usual, cause it was busy for me,
the reason i was alone is cause a lot of customers don't call for a reservation.
Kind regards

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I seldom do reviews but i thought this deserved one! Not the cheapest (well what is in Belgium?) but a real find all the same and well worth checking out as from the outside you do wonder! The restaurant is only a 5 minute walk from the centre of Ghent but we were lucky as it was right opposite where we were staying and the other reviews looked good. I would strongly recommend it - without doubt one of the better meals I've had in Belgium. The service was very good, food tasty and well cooked, with wine that complimented the food. An excellent evening - thank you.

Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear,

Thanks for this lovely review.
I appriciate this very much.

I hope this will help me further to make of my restaurant, a better restaurant with more custumers.