“heaven on earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of le Duc - CLOSED

le Duc
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Ghent, Belgium
“heaven on earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Quoting my facebookless mother:

I've only detected this pearl a few weeks ago and this is really a hidden gem. I went for lunch with my husband and my son and we took the menu. Every course was excellent and well balanced, the service was impeccable and the waiter very polite.
We liked the interior because of the beautiful house and decoration and the soothing music.

We really felt like heaven on earth and regret that we didn't find this place sooner.

• Visited December 2013
Dimitri C, Eigenaar at le Duc, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear,
thanks for the lovely review !!!
i hope we see each other again next year :)

Crawley, United Kingdom
“It was very nearly dreadful!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We dined at Le Duc after reading the amazing reviews online. We must have been eating at a very different restaurant to the one described in online reviews!

A very average amuse bouche arrived with no explanation whatsoever as to what it was. Thank goodness there was one as we waited 45 mins for our starter to arrive which really was nothing to write home about (husband had eel, I had shrimp croquettes). Having waiting so long for our starter, we clock watched the arrival of our main course - another 45 minutes! The restaurant was not super busy either. Thankfully, we were in a jovial mood and it started to become a joke that every time we heard the kitchen bell ring, was it our turn.

However, what was not forgivable was the quality of the main courses. My husband had the beef tournedos and had asked for medium rare.....it came well done (that's being polite, they were cooked to oblivion....and to add insult to injury, they were cold). They also forgot to bring the accompanying chips with steak. Remember you are paying 36 euros for this dish!! We drew the waiter's attention to the steak and he offered to discount it 50%. We certainly weren't going to wait another 45 mins for a fresh dish!! I had the chicken dish....having waited so long, I'd lost my appetite to be honest. We didn't chance pudding, goodness knows how long we would have waited for that.

Other niggles, finished plates left in front of you for an inordinate amount of time, bread left on the table for ever (but maybe that is because there is no food coming out of the restaurant), wine bottle arriving opened and not being asked to taste it beforehand, herbs scattered all over dishes that aren't finely chopped (a mouth full of uncut parsley stalks is never nice).

The one positive I can say is the two waiting staff were very efficient...however if there is nothing to come out of the kitchen to serve, it isn't their fault. Every other table was waiting just as long as we were.

I still find it very difficult to see how our experience could be so very different to that of other reviews. But I'm afraid it was.

Cost of this very, very disappointing meal ... 115 euros (and that was with the discounted beef dish). Actually, I think I'll change the title of my review....it was dreadful!!!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Alessia B
Dimitri C, Eigenaar at le Duc, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear,

i am sorry you was disappointed.
Indeed you had to wait a little bit longer then 30 minutes on a saturday evening,
that s cause every dishes are made with fresh products, and on that evening, almost everybody eated ' a la carte' , so we tried to make everybody happy.
So cause of the tournedos he was a little bit more cooked then asked, i offered you a discount.

Its true the housewine i dont let them taste, cause the botlles are already open for people who ask a 1/2 l of wine or a glass.
But i will think about you and maybe let the guest taste when they ask a bottle of house wine.

I hope further you had a nice weekend in Ghent.

Stony Brook, New York
“Superb restaurant !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the Sandton Reylof Grand Hotel which is right across the street from Le Duc and were looking for a good meal within an easy walk. We were delighted to find a world class restaurant with superb food and attentive service! The restaurant is set in a elegant homelike setting and the presentation of the food is in keeping with the warm yet sophisticated atmosphere. All in all, we had a very impressive meal and enjoyable evening!

Visited August 2013
Dimitri C, Eigenaar at le Duc, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear,

thanks for the nice review

Worthing, United Kingdom
“second visit to Le Duc”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We drove for an hour out of our way to revisit this restaurant while we were back in Belgium. The food was excellent again, I was particularly impressed with the fois gras as I had eaten a comparable dish recently at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester and this was better !! Again three of us had the tasting menu and its great that the menu changes regularly. One of us chose off the a la carte. The wine paired with the courses were also lovely .Service was good. We had a most enjoyable evening.

• Visited July 2013
Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear,

i was so impresive, you came specially to Ghent while you were staying 1 hour away to have diner again in my restaurant !!!!

Thanks for the nice review

See you soon :)

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Don't miss this one!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

One of the best meals I have ever had! Interesting and unique combinations of favors an textures, absolutely delicious. Reasonably priced for such an amazing meal. We had chicken and steak, hard to differentiate these items but they nailed it on both. The desserts, especially the chocolate cake, were amazing.

Visited July 2013
Dimitri C, Owner at le Duc, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear,

thanks for your nice review,
when you are back in Ghent, i hope to see you again
Kinds regards