Brooderie
US$187
US$159
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 September 2010

First three negative things, then some positives.

I was travelling for business. Crumpled shirt and crumpled suit. Needed to look smart for conference. I asked for an Iron. They said there was No Iron. Then made promises that Sister would bring in Iron. Next morning Sister had excuses why she didnt bring Iron. Said it was too big to bring in. Strange Excuse. Come on Guys !!! I had to go down the Street and ask at another hotel to get an iron. Borrowed their Iron. Walked in with it, used borrowed iron, returned it. No apologies or explanation from the staff. Very strange.

The bed(s) - a double room. Didn't have a double bed. It had two single beds put together. Don't know if this is a cultural thing but this arrangement is not exactly the recipe for happy couples.

The windows - single glazed. Plenty of noise from happy partygoers walking down the street late at night. Bring your Earplugs. Lucky I did. Also the museum across the street has its floodlights on full, and the curtains don't have a pelmet, so if you like sleeping in the light of streetlights this might be your place.

Positives. Great place if you don't like the Formule 1 McDonald's Accor chain style hotel, this place has some local charm and individuality. The breakfast was pretty good though not amazing. Not a hotel style buffet, more just a continental breakfast. Good coffee and pastries. The bakery is somewhere else, I saw the guy pull up with the delivery truck outside the front. Still, the place is a good place to go for something different just not recommended for a long stay.

NO internet, no wifi.

Is it good value for money, well maybe for Belguim but not compared to France or Spain.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank yorkshire_viking007
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This is definitely something a bit different. We had Room 1 which was a huge dual aspect room with pleasant street views. Yes you do share the toilets(there are two) with the public when the bakery is open but they are kept very clean as is the shower.

The staff were all incredibly charming and helpful right through form booking to departure.

The breakfast as you would expect was good quality and plentiful.

The location couldn't be more centra and is opposite the Design Museum. And this really was the only downside. The room was single glazed and is on a busy street and even at night is quite noisy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2010

This was such a great find. I was excited to stay above a Bakery. It was odd checking in, we just walking into a bustling soup and bread joint and told the cashier we were ready to check in. She showed us to the room, and it was VERY large.
We had the green room. Very bright and colorful, VERY clean and lots of towels, which I really appreciated. Let me clarify the bathroom situation. The toilets are actually on the 2nd floor, so customers during the day have to use that one. But, since it's upstairs, it's much more convenient than I imagined.
Nice clean bathrooms.

It was a little cold in the room, but that was ok. I just couldn't get over how amazing the location was. It was less than a block to my favorite things in Ghent: The Graslei and the Gravensteen castle. So easy to find everything from Brooderie!

Don't expect a lot of service and you won't be disappointed. When the restaurant/bakery closes, all staff leaves... and it's a little loud at closing time in case you're napping then (like we were!!) The breakfast in the morning is great, though!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pull4ud
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Just showed up at the counter when the hosts for my original B&B were a no show. They had only 1 room left (their smallest room) but we needed a place to stay so we took it.

Very nice people running the bakery / B&B. Great breakfast (closed on Monday, so we had to find our own that day)

Bed and room were pretty basic. It was like a double futon, very low to the ground. Felt like I was in college again. Pillows were old and lumpy, I considered buying a cheap one from the Super Soldi on the vrijdagmarkt but decided it would be a pain to carry around. Killed lots of mosquitoes, which are just part of staying on a canal I guess.

Fantastic view over the Leie and toward the Groot Vleesuis, I could just sit in front the window for hours. The shared shower and bathrooms were no big deal. They were always clean (Men's and Women's) and rarely occupied, even during store hours.

Overall, a decent stay, but I might go for something a little nicer next time.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We had originally booked the Ibis Centrum Opera to stay in for a one-
night stay in Ghent in late-April 2008. We always prefer staying in locally-run establishments and hate chain hotels, but a combination of late booking and a strange insistence in Ghent B&Bs for booking two nights at weekends meant we ended up booking the Ibis.

Then, just the day before leaving for Belgium, I received an email from the Brooderie asking where the cheque was. I'd emailed a number of B&Bs a few weeks before, and the Brooderie had space but wanted a cheque (in Euros) as deposit. Realising that my bank would charge so much for a Euro cheque that it would push the price past that of the Ibis, I didn't bother - but the Brooderie thought I had confirmed a booking. Nonetheless, despite having other enquiries for the two rooms, Hilde promised me them despite not sending a deposit, and even recommended a carpark that was convenient to its location.

When we arrived, we could almost sniff out the Brooderie: the bread and cakes smelt so good! But the best was yet to come: the rooms were absolutely enormous! Rooms 1 and 2 (the rooms we had for two couples) are above each other, and are directly above the inside of the cafe. Room 3, which we didn't see inside, is a single room on the same floor as room 3.

Its location, on Jan Breydelstraat, just off the river (the river runs behind the building and can be seen from the corridor windows) is its best - but also its worst - feature. Just a few minutes stroll to all the main attractions in the city, but also noisy in the evening (admittedly it was the hottest weekend of 2008 so far, but still, it was only April), especially with single-glazed windows in the rooms. We couldn't get to sleep because of the noise until around 11:30pm, and were woken up again around 6:30am by street cleaners and the hustle and bustle of the city starting up for the morning.

However, breakfast made up for the shorter sleep: 4 amounts of bread, croissants, boiled egg, various jams, coffee/tea and the best freshly squeezed orange juice I've ever tasted. Breakfast is served between 8:00am and midday.

Check-out is by midday, although you can leave your bags in a private room until 6:00 in the evening if necessary. The price? €135 for the two double rooms (one is €65 and the other €70). Breakfast is included, along with a toilet (shared by the cafe customers when it's open) and a shower (shared between the three rooms).

More photos: www.stuart-pinfold.co.uk/photos/2008/ghent/