“Absolutely worth it ”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

My friend and I took a day trip to Ghent during our 4-day trip in Brussels. I booked lunch at Vrijmoed, the only restaurant with 2 Michelin stars in Ghent, well in advance.

The entrance of Vrijmoed was discreet. We even needed to press the bell outside in order to be let into the building where the restaurant is located.

We picked the Menu Vrijmoed with 4 courses. The food turned out to be the best we'd during our trip to Belgium. All the dishes were beautifully presented, prepared with the finest seasonal ingredients, nicely executed and highly delicious. I particularly loved the entree of North Sea shrimps and the main course of roasted pheasant with salsify and wild mushrooms.

We each added a cheese course which was served before our dessert. It's Stilton ice cream with crumble and a piece of bread with Stilton in its traditional form.

The service was impeccable. Just like what we can and should expect from a restaurant of this class.

Our meal wasn't cheap. However, given all the good things which I mentioned above, it's good value for money.

I'll eat at Vrijmoed again if I happen to travel to Ghent again in the future.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

I was travelling in Europe feom the Philippines and Belgium was on my list. Saw Brussels, Antwerp,Bruges but for Ghent I only came for Restaurant Vrijmoed.

As a tourist on a rent a car, It wasn’t easy to spot Restaurant Vrijmoed from the street because their sign was small but google map pointed me to the right direction.

I tried reserving for dinner but they were fully booked and was lucky they had an available table lunchtime the next day.

Place was beautiful. Not overly decorated, elegant and yet simple.

Service was very professional. Service people were all clean looking and very knowledgeable about the dishes.

The Appetizers was the first that came out and that really set the bar pretty high. The flavors were excellent and amazing. Everything that followed was a supprised. I was with my nephew and we both had a Grastonomical experience.

After each dish we were excited to see what the next dish would be. They explained everything in english. It was one of my best dining experience.

A must try for everyone visiting Belgium.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018

We arrived in Ghent for a 10 day vacation in Belgium and Amsterdam. I read many TA reviews of all of the Michelin star restaurants. Vrijmoed has two stars, and more importantly to me, they have a vegetarian tasting menu. I read some TA reviews where people said Michael Vrijmoed did things with vegetables that were so unique and delicious, we just had to go to this restaurant. But we also eat fin and scale fish (not shellfish), so I wanted to have some in this dinner. The best way to deal with dietary requirements is to send your own e-mail to Michael Vrijmoed. He answers the e-mails. So I asked Michael for two fish courses in this tasting menu. He was happy to oblige.
We came at 7pm; opening time for the restaurant. We looked at the wine list. I asked the very capable service team if the Gamey at 61E, the least expensive bottle of the reds, was still a good wine for the money. They assured me that it wouldn't be on their wine list if the wine wasn't a good representative of gamey. I told them I drink Pinot Noir often. They told me this wine would work well, since the wine is produced in a very similar way. They were right! They start the dinner (after serving the wine and bread), with 4 amuse bouche, served separately. The portion is very small ( as it should be), but we knew we were in for a fantastic dining experience. Then the actual tasting menu dinner started. This is what we had:
Zucchini "grilled" avocado-wild garlic
Codfish "Poached" algae-yuzu
Portobello 'baked' green tee-pine
Seabass eggplant-fennel
Tomme De Pyrenees green tomato-mustard
Spinach white chocolate-citrus
Apricot almond-amarula
We ordered tea with the two deserts. At 287E, this dinner was a very similar experience to Eleven Madison Avenue. And at this price, I can honestly say I was happier.
The food is delicious. The ambience is lovely. The service team is very capable and nice!
What a great way to start a vacation!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I've lunched and dined in several Michelin starred restaurants, but this was probably the most average of them.

After I pointed out to one of the staff members that I am allergic to hard cheeses, I was served a first little bite with parmesan cheese (by another staff member, who looked like the 'head waiter'). He seemed annoyed that I asked for a version without the cheese topping. Maybe the staff should communicate more, especially in a two star restaurant. Actually, the whole staff didn't seem to enjoy their work. Haven't seen a lot of genuine smiles, which is quite deplorable.

The food was mostly good, with some awesome dishes like the spinach - lemon - white chocolate dessert, but also several disappointments, like the fish with seaweed that was way too salt or the vegetarian mushroom main that was just bland.

If you play in the top league, you have to be able to take some criticism. Maybe it just wasn't the staff's best day (cooks included), but with 2 stars you have to deliver the best. Every day. And with enthusiastic staff that can smile genuinely.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Definitely one of the most excellent Michelin restaurants I have been to. Very creative dishes and wonderful taste. The staffs are also very friendly. Even though it's quite pricy and worth a try. We had the 4 courses lunch menu. It was all great. I didnt feel like lamb so they changed to a fish dish. And yes, it was awesome!

Date of visit: June 2018