“Warm and charismatic hotel”
Review of Ghent River Hotel

Ghent River Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Warm and charismatic hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Thank you fellow TA reviewers for speaking the praises of this hotel. On the spur of the moment and with the force of the recommendations at my back, I booked a room for a one night stay earlier this week. This was also my first visit to Ghent as well.

Well, the location of the Ghent River Hotel is excellent. About the only "comparable" hotel that would top this location would be the fabled Marriott Hotel which is situated on the incomparable Kornlei. Not bad real estate if you can get it, but getting back to Ghent River Hotel, the hotel backs up to the main canal. Not too shabby I say! My room with a King (228) didn't overlook the river, but not to worry, I was in town to explore and I was only in room to sleep.

For starts, accessibility to the hotel is very simple via the #1 tram from the Sint-Pieters station. With a bag in tow, I'd estimate the walk to be around five minutes to the hotel after disembarking at the Gravensteen (sp) stop. The hotel is superbly situated in the Historic Centrum. Architecturally from what I could tell, the hotel did a novel job blending both the historic building site and modern airy environments such as the lobby and hallways.

Room features included complimentary wifi, an "honor" minibar of sorts with a form to be filled out for items consumed, a generously proportioned bathroom with tub and shower unit, and a wall mounted flat screen. Windows open both horizontally and vertically too. Air conditioning (not that I really needed it) worked like a charm. The bedding just agreed with me perfectly. Call me a bed snob, but the bedding seemed more like "marriott style" and who knows what is under the hood so to speak? But whatever the case, I was happy to be in a supple soft bed that felt like it had a pillow top.

The spectacular location really requires no explanation. A simple look at Google Maps can say it better than I can. All the main attractions such as the Belfry, St. Michaels Bridge, and the restaurants of Patershol are just minutes away on foot. And when I say minutes, I really mean time in the single digits unless one get seduced into buying chocolates at Leonidas or stopping by a bar for a couple of drinks while en-route.

What I didn't use in the hotel were any facilities such as the sauna, gym, or room service. It does appear there is a small bar in the lobby but which choices aplenty in Ghent, the lack of access to imbibing won't be an issue.

I checked out too soon as I had to return to work. I definitely plan on revisiting Ghent and spending some time exploring the area on bike. I'd love to return to this hotel because it had charisma, it was peaceful, and the room environment was very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and booked the "romantic" package. Breakfast in the room and chocolates and champagne upon arrival. When we arrived in the room the chocolate was missing. We asked for it multiple times but we only received it when we left the hotel. The champagne however was a 750ml bottle instead of 500ml, good service from the house. Room interior was a mixture between modern, industrial and some "old" details. Room faced the river. Bathroom was spacious too, bath was a little old, glass wall between bath and sink little cheap and clumsy. No seperate shower. Breakfast was good and plenty. Location was great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Floris M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

WOW what a place. Rooms were excellent, staff friendly and helpful. Fabulous location, easy parking, easy to find. What more can I say . . . . . . We had a family room and double room and a twin room and all were of excellent standard

Room Tip: Ask for one with a river view - you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gladys1411161
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We only spent one night here but after a day of sightseeing this hotel suited us perfectly. Our room was clean and the windows opened which let in the nice cool air. It is just off the square and easily within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Breakfast was really good with lot of choices and included in room price. We had a double room with plenty of space. Bathroom was clean.

Room Tip: We had a room on the inside court. Nice and quiet with no noise but we did not have view of river.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel after being recommended it by a friend who told us to get a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the canal as the view is great. We stayed the nights of 28th and 29th of June in room 317. The room was lovely with a double aspect and nice bathroom and very comfortable bed. However, the experience was somewhat ruined by the fact that you could hear every single word coming from the room next door. There was a young couple staying and at midnight to hear every single word of their loud conversation was really annoying when we wanted to sleep. After an hour or so when we started to worry about what other noises we may hear when they eventually went to bed I wrote a polite note (out of desperation) and slipped it under their door. To their credit they began to whisper instead but really in a smart hotel this should not be necessary.
We travelled on a Shopping package and it was nice to get given a little 'goody bag' except we had to ask for the free glasses of Cava token. We never used them in the end as we were too busy sampling the Belgian beer.
We loved Ghent (and in fact my partner proposed to me on that weekend!!) and are planning on travelling back in December with 4 friends for another weekend to see the Christmas markets. We may stay in this hotel but will need to ask the management more about suitable rooms as we don't want that problem again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah b
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I really loved staying here. The location is great - it's a bit of a walk from the train station gent-dampoort but that's fine because the area around the station isn't very pleasant. The hotel by contrast is just inside the old part of the town which is lovely and there are some really nice restaurants just a stone's throw away.

We had some trouble when we first arrived. Our door key wasn't working (they have the electric card things.) I had to visit reception quite a few times to get it sorted out as the receptionist seemed reluctant to leave the desk to come up and try to sort it. They were kind of helpful but at one point they switched our room to try and solve the problem and essentially downgraded us. Our original room had a double bed, a bath and a lovely view. The new room had two singles, no bath and faced onto the street. When I pointed this out (in a kind of, don't want to make a fuss but if your key isn't working why on earth are you putting us in a worse room? If anything I'd expect an upgrade as I have had to go up and down the stairs about 3 times after a long journey trying to sort this out), she said "Well all the rooms are different." No apology and no suggestion of compensation.

Makes me think we were just lucky to get a nice room as if we'd originally had that other room - it wouldnt have been such an enjoyable visit.

Oh - and the breakfast was 20 euros. Which I cannot fathom at all. Most main meals in Ghent and Bruges were that price. What on earth they were offering for breakfast I have no idea. But I'd be amazed if it was worth 20 euros.

Room Tip: If you don't like the room - make a fuss because I'm sure the quality of the rooms varies wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple