“Nice not special”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice not special”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Central location, desk staff friendly, converted warehouse, next to canal. Should be a really good combination. Hotel is nice, fine for sleeping in, it could be special. Not all rooms overlook thr canal, luckily ous did. Some of the features of the warehouse are still to be seen. Breakfast buffet is very good. Wifi worked fine.

Room Tip: Room overlooking canal
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank nandgNL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here with a couple of friends this summer and we had a lovely stay. I found the front desk staff really helpful and friendly and booked a table at a local restaurant when we asked.
Out room overlooked the canal and was a lovely room. All clean and in working order.
Breakfast was great and a wide choice. Although breakfast was included in our room price I think to pay for it separately was quite expensive - only breakfast if it's included in your original price! But all staff really lovely during breakfast service.
Wifi worked fine in our room, had to reconnect to it every now and then but no problem really!
Take advantage of bar happy hour! Great location and good value for money. Would definitely stay here again :)

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank orangeblancmanges
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The twin room was spacious, clean and pleasantly furnished. Good bathroom, except that the air extract system wasn't operating and there should be grab rails and a soap dish in the shower. The breakfast was an extensive buffet breakfast, with a vast choice of items to eat and drink. Good roofscape views over Ghent from the breakfast room. Don't know about the wifi, as didn't want to use it. Staff at reception were helpful. Reading the recent review by Michelle M, I do wonder if she went to a different hotel. It was good value for money. I'd certainly return to that hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 27Jamesw27
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 14 October 2013

When we first arrived, we were given a room that I didn't hesitate to proclaim the worst I've ever stayed in, and trust me, I do travel a lot and I've seen many hotels. It was very dark, big with three beds, but the furniture was almost placed randomly, I wondered who ever got the job of decorating this room. The entire feeling was just sad and the room also seemed worn out. I said to my husband that luckily Gent is such a beautiful city and we are lucky to only have to sleep in the room.

The wifi didn't work in our room and there was a noise coming from very noisy neighbours, so we kindly asked if we could get another room. We were lucky that there was a room available on the river side - and what a change!

It was like a completely different hotel! The room was very stylish, nicely decorated, the view was lovely. From being very disappointed I became very enthusiastic about our stay in the hotel.

Breakfast room is very nice with a lots of windows, but the breakfast itself was rather disappointing.

The location is great. The wifi never really worked. Not in the old nor in the new room.

The staff was not service minded.

Room Tip: Ask for a room turning towards the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heroneya
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Ghent River Hotel in October 2013. The hotel is obviously trying to upgrade, but the amenities, service and building are not equal to the hype. We didn't have a canal view room.
MY main complaints:
1) the wifi only worked in the lobby. We never could connect in our rooms and heard other guests voice the same complaint. The front desk seemed apathetic to the problem.

2) Service. If this is 4 star service, I'm only staying in 5 star hotels from now on. The front desk staff wasn't helpful, friendly nor did they take the time to be proactive about anything. Apathetic at best. When the maid realized we weren't up yet at 9am, she left our clean towels in a bag outside our door, instead of coming back later.

3) Atmosphere: it can be hard to remodel old buildings and make them elegant, but this "newly remodeled" hotel felt like a budget best western, industrial carpets, shiny duct tape to denote the edges of stairs, and the cheapest finishing everywhere. The one exception was the breakfast room on the third floor.

Good things:
1) location. Right next to the Friday Market Square and close to all the old city.

2) the breakfast service was well done.

I was disappointed in my stay here, but if you lower your expectations to a hotel that is solely utilitarian with delusions of greatness, you won't be similarly disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just back from a brilliant 3-day trip to Ghent. Here are a few comments on where we stayed: the Ghent River Hotel, which is rated as a 4-star property.

Best things about the hotel:

- The riverside location, great views from the room
- only about 6 mins walk from the tram
- breakfast staff Marla (?) from Turkey was friendly and helpful
- they provided gluten-free bread as requested
- provided umbrellas
- self-service breakfast so no delays with orders
- the exposed brickwork, exposed ceiling beams and old iron external windows from the original warehouse gave the room character
- a kettle was provided in the room
- free wifi when you could get it to work
- good range of multi-language TV stations
- lovely big breakfast room with panoramic views, and outside tables too
- very close to a wide range of eating places, historic area and shops

Some not so good points:

- The safe wasn't 'safe' - it wasn't attached to wall or floor and I could drag it around the room!
- although it looked clean, the toilet area wasn’t properly cleaned as from arrival there was an unpleasant smell of stale urine
- the spa/steam function in the shower didn’t work
- Bath towels a bit thin and old, although the hand towels were decent
- although helpful on arrival and when I previously called to check they had my booking, the reception staff ignored guests at all other times which is pretty poor.

Overall the hotel was really nice, but it might be a very good 3 star rather than a 4 star. If I got the same river-view room again I’d be quite happy to return there. Ghent is a fantastic place to visit with beautiful historic buildings - but be beware that the surrounding heritage area is completely paved with cobblestones so difficult to pull a wheeled suitcase from the tram to the hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I visit Ghent 5-6 times in a year for a business trip. At my last 3 visit, I've stayed in Ghent River Hotel. I think it's the best choice for a business trip.

Hotel's kitchen staff are very clean, debonair and helpfull. I admired gorgeous breakfast especially. In the restaurant Mr. Şeref's suggestions help us to choose right meal. It's very important for us because it's hard to choose meal for a Muslim.

I recommend Ghent River Hotel to all Turkish Business Men. It's comfort as your home with great staff.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business