“Perfect location, not much charm”
Review of Ghent River Hotel

Ghent River Hotel
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 23 October 2006

Perfect location close to the Vrijdagsmaarkt and the old town. Easily accessible by car if you know the way. Modern and comfortable rooms, but not much charm to be found anywhere. Our aircond did not work well, too hot in the room.

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sillstryparn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 25 August 2006

As part of the gang of six senior citizens, we visited the Gent River Hotel for four nights in mid August 2006. Having read some of the previous comments, we were a little dubious. However, we need not have worried. On arrival our first receptionist, whose name was Vima could not have been more helpful both on our arrival and during our stay, and all the other receptionists were very pleasant.

We had three very different rooms, which were all clean and comfortable. One of the rooms was very smoke laden which was okay for us because some of our party were smokers. However, it's worth asking for a no-smoking room while booking to avoid disappointment. Certainly you can hear other people from the bathroom but that is surprisingly common in many hotels. Contrary to one earlier comment, the hotel does have a bar in the reception area at just above local (expensive) beer prices.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful and had a good selection, including bacon, variable quality scrambled egg, boiled eggs and a huge selection of different breads, yoghurt, cereals and fruit etc. and during our stay staff seemed to be busy all the time, refreshing the coffee, clearing tables and laying clean ones.

The hotel itself is superbly located just off the Friday Market Square. Within a few yards are plenty of excellent restaurants and brasseries. Also just along the river is a club selling at over 100 local beers. Their “in house” one was excellent. Just opposite on the other side of the River is a Tex-Mex type restaurant called “Pablos” the only place we came across which we recommend avoiding. This is a great pity, because all the other local restaurants we tried served exceptional food. We enjoyed our stay and would return but I would put it only as a two/three star hotel.

Gent itself is a beautiful town full of magnificent buildings, but not full of tourists. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Poves
Reviewed 11 July 2006

This place didn't really float my boat. The Standard room was fine without being amazing. Very bare decoration, our double bed was 2 singles pushed together (I particularly hate this) and our taps were very wobbley. No tea or coffee making facilities or nice things like a bottle of water. Oddly, and very frustratingly, there wasn't a shelf in the shower so there was nowhere to put my soap. Petty, I know. The staff were rotton though, I don't know if they are students and not real hoteliers, but they seemed very put-out that we'd turned up and when I asked the lady fro train times, it was a bit like I'd just asked her to split the atom. She told me I could ask at the station, very helpful. After some huffing and puffing she looked online for me (she spent much longer moaning than actually looking for me) and then told me the wrong times. Ace.

All in all, this hotel is ok, but the staff incurred my wrath and I'm surprised that it's a 4 star.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Deanos_Deanos
Reviewed 21 June 2006

The front desk was very helpful. Did not have the breakfast, ate at local cafe's instead. Huge room. In easy and safe walking distance to all to see. Will return to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank EPK
Reviewed 10 March 2006

We stayed at this hotel with some friends in the beginning of March. You don't feel much welcome at check-in, they just handed me the key (room 219) after having a glimpse at my reservation form (I booked the room at a discout rate on the internet - 95 € instead of about 160 €), without checking my identity. Our room was nicely decorated but it was absolutely really tiny, you hardly had room to walk. Bathroom was better sized. They didn't have central heating (!) so you had to switch on the air heater, which is too noisy to keep going when you're in the room or sleeping, and which only works if you put your key in. So, we couldn't heat while we weren't in the room and we couldn't head when we were sleeping, so basically we were cold. The heating appliance in the bathroom fell on the floor when we touched it. Mattrass was really too soft. The room in itself was calm because we were looking out to the back of the hotel, but in the morning, we woke up with the voices of our neighbors in their bathroom. The isolation was so bad that we heard every single word of their conversation and it felt like they were showering in our closet. Never ever have I seen such bad isolation. I came back later than my husband during the night and asked for a second key at reception for room 219. All the guy did was ask mw name and he gave me a key... which was fine for me but didn't really make me feel safe. The breakfast room is nice, with much light, but although it looks good it's pretty minimalistic. Not worth the 95 € and definitily not the full rate. Wouldn't stay there again, especially in cold winter and because of the bad isolation. Our friend's had a very large and nice room, but which was not very clean...

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Popota
A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed 25 January 2006

Gorgeous room (standard room with a good size), great bathroom, perfect location.

But also: cleaning staff bashing in twice in a row while you're still in bed. No information whatsoever at check-in. Not enough staff at breakfast room, causing dirty dishes piling up at the tables, no place to sit, buffet almost empty and no refills. Bad coffee.

Overall, excellent value in winter/discount rates (skip the breakfast), but definitely not worth their standard high season rate (I think about EUR. 150,00 a night)!!

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 December 2005

The breakfast room was overfull, there were no staff, mosts things on the buffet were run out. The worst hotel breakfast we have ever had.

To capp it all when we went to rezeption to ask for a refund, they basically, arogantly, told us to get lost.
We love Gent but will NEVER return to this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2005