“Good location - better than average hotel”
Review of Ghent River Hotel

Ghent River Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
London
“Good location - better than average hotel”
Reviewed 27 March 2007

I stay in Gent a lot and the River hotel is my current favourite.

The location is excellent, right next to the Friday Market square with its restaurants and cafe bars, and car parking is simple with the underground Fridaymarket car park right next to the hotel.

The rooms in my opinion are much better than a standard chain hotel room. Well decorated, excellent bath/shower rooms, comfortable beds, and very spacious. The rooms have a bit of character as well given the hotel is an old property renovated, and each room is different to the next in layout. I can't ever remember being bothered by noise in the hotel (I've stayed at least half a dozen times) which is always a good sign.

The breakfast room is bright and has excellent views, as well as serving a good selection of food and drink.

Ok, the hotel bar is not the best, but then who comes to Gent and drinks in their hotel bar given the selection on offer in the city?

Staff are always pleasant. Its not the cheapest hotel I've stayed in but then the hotel prices in Gent have been rising and other than the Ibis and a few other smaller hotels, the price here is pretty standard for the city.

• Liked — Location and room quality
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank ksness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 24 October 2006

Stayed three nights at this hotel. Four star - more like three stars. Clean hotel, not a plush sumptious hotel but moving towards cool and contemporary. Very close to all attractions but much closer to the shopping area than than the cathedral and churches.

The general style is quite cool and contemporary. I found the interiors rather cold for my liking . All the coridoors are in grey!

No kettle in the rooms and hot water is charged at 2.20 euros a pop. Beware some rooms do not offer a bath... so after a long hard day sight seeing and you want to relax in a bath - choose a room with a bath and also a room with a canal view.

Similarly if you like to lounge in the "bar area" then this is not the hotel to stay in. The bar area is very small and forms what looks like part of the reception with a couple of stools and "airport lounge" chairs.

Breakfast is pretty standard held on the third floor. Good selection of continental and also hot scrambled eggs and bacon.

I think the hotel is very good for business travellers rather than a setting for a romantic geteaway.

LT.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lillian88
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 October 2006

Perfect location close to the Vrijdagsmaarkt and the old town. Easily accessible by car if you know the way. Modern and comfortable rooms, but not much charm to be found anywhere. Our aircond did not work well, too hot in the room.

• Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Sillstryparn
Wilts UK
Reviewed 25 August 2006

As part of the gang of six senior citizens, we visited the Gent River Hotel for four nights in mid August 2006. Having read some of the previous comments, we were a little dubious. However, we need not have worried. On arrival our first receptionist, whose name was Vima could not have been more helpful both on our arrival and during our stay, and all the other receptionists were very pleasant.

We had three very different rooms, which were all clean and comfortable. One of the rooms was very smoke laden which was okay for us because some of our party were smokers. However, it's worth asking for a no-smoking room while booking to avoid disappointment. Certainly you can hear other people from the bathroom but that is surprisingly common in many hotels. Contrary to one earlier comment, the hotel does have a bar in the reception area at just above local (expensive) beer prices.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful and had a good selection, including bacon, variable quality scrambled egg, boiled eggs and a huge selection of different breads, yoghurt, cereals and fruit etc. and during our stay staff seemed to be busy all the time, refreshing the coffee, clearing tables and laying clean ones.

The hotel itself is superbly located just off the Friday Market Square. Within a few yards are plenty of excellent restaurants and brasseries. Also just along the river is a club selling at over 100 local beers. Their “in house” one was excellent. Just opposite on the other side of the River is a Tex-Mex type restaurant called “Pablos” the only place we came across which we recommend avoiding. This is a great pity, because all the other local restaurants we tried served exceptional food. We enjoyed our stay and would return but I would put it only as a two/three star hotel.

Gent itself is a beautiful town full of magnificent buildings, but not full of tourists. We highly recommend it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Tips/Secrets — brassiery Jacob in The Friday Market (Vrijdagsmarkt)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank Poves
London, UK
Reviewed 11 July 2006

This place didn't really float my boat. The Standard room was fine without being amazing. Very bare decoration, our double bed was 2 singles pushed together (I particularly hate this) and our taps were very wobbley. No tea or coffee making facilities or nice things like a bottle of water. Oddly, and very frustratingly, there wasn't a shelf in the shower so there was nowhere to put my soap. Petty, I know. The staff were rotton though, I don't know if they are students and not real hoteliers, but they seemed very put-out that we'd turned up and when I asked the lady fro train times, it was a bit like I'd just asked her to split the atom. She told me I could ask at the station, very helpful. After some huffing and puffing she looked online for me (she spent much longer moaning than actually looking for me) and then told me the wrong times. Ace.

All in all, this hotel is ok, but the staff incurred my wrath and I'm surprised that it's a 4 star.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Deanos_Deanos
Louisiana
Reviewed 21 June 2006

The front desk was very helpful. Did not have the breakfast, ate at local cafe's instead. Huge room. In easy and safe walking distance to all to see. Will return to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank EPK
Luxembourg
Reviewed 10 March 2006

We stayed at this hotel with some friends in the beginning of March. You don't feel much welcome at check-in, they just handed me the key (room 219) after having a glimpse at my reservation form (I booked the room at a discout rate on the internet - 95 € instead of about 160 €), without checking my identity. Our room was nicely decorated but it was absolutely really tiny, you hardly had room to walk. Bathroom was better sized. They didn't have central heating (!) so you had to switch on the air heater, which is too noisy to keep going when you're in the room or sleeping, and which only works if you put your key in. So, we couldn't heat while we weren't in the room and we couldn't head when we were sleeping, so basically we were cold. The heating appliance in the bathroom fell on the floor when we touched it. Mattrass was really too soft. The room in itself was calm because we were looking out to the back of the hotel, but in the morning, we woke up with the voices of our neighbors in their bathroom. The isolation was so bad that we heard every single word of their conversation and it felt like they were showering in our closet. Never ever have I seen such bad isolation. I came back later than my husband during the night and asked for a second key at reception for room 219. All the guy did was ask mw name and he gave me a key... which was fine for me but didn't really make me feel safe. The breakfast room is nice, with much light, but although it looks good it's pretty minimalistic. Not worth the 95 € and definitily not the full rate. Wouldn't stay there again, especially in cold winter and because of the bad isolation. Our friend's had a very large and nice room, but which was not very clean...

• Stayed March 2006