“Yes! For a tasty classical pizza”
Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #172 of 1,020 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Ok, Gent is not Italy. You can never get the same delicious tastes as in a place where everything grows under the daily sunshine. We have to be happy with our grey weather and the many Italian eateries in every town of Belgium. Luckily there are some little modest and humble places like this one where the pizzas are classical but just very fresh and tasty. And you can also take them away and eat them on the terrace of a neighboring bar or somewhere in the little park around the corner (but please do not leave the boxes as many un respectful students do!!!!!!)

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 26 August 2017

The restaurant is very close to St Peter's Church and easy to reach from the tram stop Veergrep. The staff is really welcoming and fun. My family and I ate the delicious pizzas we had been craving for. I come from Italy and I guarantee these were even better than the ones I usually eat in my hometown (Bisceglie). The price was defiinitely perfect compared to other places in Ghent.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 18 April 2017

Nice staff, great Italian food, normal prices.
They are quite quick to get your orders and serve the food so this place is ideal for a small dinner before the movie.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

A small authentic Italian restaurant. Not super nice inside but the service is very friendly and the food is very good for a decent price. Don't go if you want a quick dinner.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 6 September 2016

We wanted to have an easy dinner before going to the cinema. Arrived at 18h15, an hour and a half before the start of the movie. We picked a half bottle of Chianti as a wine, which was alright, though very overpriced at €17. When the wine was brought, though, there were no olives, bread or anything to cover the wait for the starter, as other tables did get.

As a starter we ordered the antipasti (€17), it took kitchen longer to prepare this than it took to make the two main courses on the table to our left. We got it after about 30 minutes.

The antipasti itself were, simply put, most unimpressive. It consitsted of a chaotic plate full of supermarket-bought hams, cheeses and (a few) vegetables which all may or may not have been Italian. One of the cheeses was definitely not Italian (it was a Gouda, with the edges still attached).

Fearing the worst, we got our main courses at 19h25, 70 minutes after arriving. We had the Ossobucco and Tagliatelli Scampi, which were (they should at least be proud they're consistent) very unimpressive. The sauce with the Ossobucco lacked every flavour, plain tomato sauce. Traditionally it's served with risotti, which wasn't an option.
The tagliatelli was boring, the 4 (FOUR!!!)scampi's were badly cooked (either overcooked or cooked when still frozen). The legs were still attached to some scampi.

Service; the guy (owner?) who came to order was walking around like he was doing us a favour. The only word he uttered was 'prego' to have us start dictating. He was not to be seen again. Drinks were brought by a waiter, food was brought by a cook. Tables were bussed by the waiter.

After noticing that in order to pay one would have to wait after receiving the bill, we opted to go to the bar and get our bill and leave as soon as possible. We were barely acknowledged while standing there, waiting, until we received the bill after which the guy (owner?!) left again. Wanting to pay with debit card we were rudely told this wasn't possible, even though I saw the machine behind his back. We did have a credit card option but just wanted to leave at this stage.

As we paid the €75,45 bill, to the cent, I asked to take the bill with me. We were told he would have to first put it in the system. I understand the necessity of restaurants, in this time, to have to do things outside of the system to save money, they should, however, be a little nicer to the guests that they're using like this.

We go out to eat a few times a week, have been to hundreds of different places, been to a lot of them more than once. Never in my life have I had a worse experience than we have had here. IF the food had been priced at a lesser price, it would've been alright. IF service had been with a smile, it would have been agreeable. IF we weren't able to produce better food at home, I'd have gladly paid this sum of money for it. But it wasn't and we are.

So never again.

TL;DR: Horriblly overpriced food, terrible unpersonal service without even the resemblence of a smile; evading taxes and most of all: we make better food at home. Oh; the pizza baker was in fact nice. He should find another employer.

Date of visit: September 2016