All reviews apartment hotel separate bedroom minute walk dining table city centre a small kitchen area coffee machine soap dispenser gent dampoort scrambled eggs and bacon sitting room self catering secure car park great place to stay leave the car breakfast was included comfortable beds
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Castelnou is situated close to mid-town in Gent with easy connectivity to Danport train & bus station as well as nearer to Zuid from where you can get buses as well as tram for city travel.

Its a good hotel with nice interiors in its new rooms with big LCD TVs and kitchen facility for those who want to cook for longer stays in Gent. I was in Gent for business trip and found that perhaps this was the only hotel that offered cooking facilities with utensils provided. The complimentary breakfast is sufficient, though lacks variety. Do note that this is kind of apartment hotel and so there is no room service except weekly cleaning services but the bigger rooms have separate seating and sleeping rooms which gives homely feeling.

I did not find it value for the money it charges but its worth when you consider connectivity it offers when traveling for business or vacation. The staff was however not much friendly at the office.

Overall, a good place to stay near city centre with nice facilities.

Room tip: Go for the bigger rooms with separate bedroom as rate is same for single room...and choose roadside new room
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Even it's called as Apart-hotel, it's the same as a high quality hotel + kitchen in the room.

Location: not totally in the city centre, but about 15mins walk, in a quiet residential area.

Rooms: very tidy and modern. Kitchen facilities, TV and bath included.

Parking: Sundays for free in front of the hotel (otherwise 6€ the day).

Breakfast: simple and very nice, full english + continental (natural ham and cheese, just-made bakery, fruit, juice, etc)

Price: probably not the cheapest one, but very high quality offered at a reasonable price. Pets for fre!!

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarakurdo
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Had a reservation for this property and while in France our schedule got shifted and had to cancel this booking. Did so through a popular booking website as the original booking was made through them. The page of confirmation displayed for a moment and then I received what in afterthought was probably an error message. I did not see any indication that the cancellation was not successful or the attempt failed, but it was not the usual screen one sees when using this website. Was checking out of our current hotel and in a rush, so did not get the chance to confirm cancellation. Anyway, a few days later upon inquiry, the hotel (an associate via email) accused me of being irresponsilble, shifty, and manipulative even though I already agreed with the website that my cancellation probably didn't register due to the internet issue I experienced and I should've confirmed it was cancelled at my next opportunity. I had agreed it was fair to pay our missed booking. But the hotel associate was cross, negative, and very petty in his words and treatment. A horrible example of how they see and treat their guests.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed for a long weekend last December and I like to make my own food as I am a fussy vegan so looked out for somewhere where there was a kitchenette.

When we arrived by car, the receptionist was really helpful and came out to assist us when I couldn't work out the parking token machine-it was broken but I would never have worked that out, not speaking the lingo!

She was great and everybody else we spoke to during our stay was equally helpful and friendly.

The rooms were spacious if a little down at heel-they need updating-leather sofas and non-descript furnishings are not really my thing but I think I read that they are now updating-if so, it will be a really good place to stay.

It's not that near the town centre but a pleasant walk away along by a canal-not too far.

The restaurant and breakfast area is very welcoming and there is a big choice of buffet style breakfasts-even an awkward vegan like me found something to eat, including soya milk-I was impressed by that!

Date of stay: December 2010
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kitty7London
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed here for 3 days last week and were very impressed. Modern, clean and the staff were just amazing. Everybody spoke perfect english and knew where all the best locations for restaurants etc were. Only a 10 minute stroll into the town centre too.

Date of stay: July 2011