Hotel de Flandre
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmain buildingfacing the streetnice hotelthe ground floorlate checklots of characterthree nightslocation is greatcentre of townpublic car parkcomfortable bedsbars and restaurantsmain attractionsold townthe breakfast areafew minutes walkshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I make no bones about the fact that I selected this hotel because of its associations with the elder Johann Strauss (1804-49), founder of the world-famous dynasty of light music composers and conductors. Strauss stayed at this former coaching inn in 1838, during his major European tour with his orchestra, and it's one of the few such establishments still extant. The main entrance still boasts what I presume to be the original brick flooring across which the coaches passed on their way to the open courtyard at the rear, and visitors to the hotel's 'Bar 1804' are greeted by the sight of an enormous and original fireplace.
The reception staff were, at all times, very helpful, courteous, friendly and fully conversant in English.
Our family room was comfortable and well-appointed, with a good view of the city, although we could have wished for a shower with a wall fitment, rather than merely a shower handle located on a cradle on the bath. On Day 1 this omission led to an incident whereby switching the flow from bath to shower resulted in an unexpected and very sudden aerial display as the shower handle took off vertically, driven by high water pressure, almost decapitating the writer!
Breakfast was a splendid affair, catering principally for 'continental' tastes but also providing more classically British fare such as scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon, sausages and mushrooms. Pancakes were there to be griddled and the range of breakfast cereals and 'accessories' (nuts, seeds, dried fruit etc.) was wondrous to behold. And then there were the range of patisseries, cheeses and breads. The one distinct oddity, on which several other guests also remarked, was the absence of even one unchipped china breakfast bowl. Unless, of course, these were the original bowls from Strauss's 1838 visit ...?! I must, I fear, add one serious criticism: the speed of service at breakfast needs urgent improvement. One waiter/waitress is simply insufficient to meet the demands of guests requiring tea/coffee/refills and that member of staff really ought to be inside the breakfast room to catch the eyes of guests, not inside the kitchen. I felt relieved that I was not under the time constraints of the businessman or -woman.
Other than this principal gripe, we would happily return to the Hôtel de Flandre on another visit - especially if the hotel management read this and care to offer me a discount on my next stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is handy for the city centre and sightseeing and as a 4-star hotel it was certainly cheaper than some of the other city centre 4-star hotels .... but then it is not as good as those. TV is a bit hit and miss as there's no programme guide. Likewise the central heating. Breakfast was fine with one exception - every cereal bowl was chipped which must be a record for a 4-star hotel.
Would I stay again? Maybe!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

we were supposed to stay 2 full nights but due to a 5 1/2 delay from cork ireland to brussels we lost a whole nite not arriving to the hotel until 1:00am. We had booked 2 rooms and called them from the airport to make them aware of the delay and would be a very late check in. All was fine when we arrived and were given our rooms. One room was fine as i said goodnite and headed to my room. When I went to my room tired after a long journey from the delay,i didnt have electricity. I went down to the front desk and after alot of time(over45min now its 1:45am) i was given another room with the front desk clerk with me to make sure everything was working. We arrived to the room only to find out the room wouldnt open because it was occupied and back to the front desk we went. how could he not know? becoming frustrated, i was told that there wasnt another room to put me in and the attendant went to my room to try and manually give me some electricity............ now its almost 3:00am. he managed to get a room light to work and said he would send an electrician out in the morning and to talk to the front desk after 7:00am. Well i went down and the morning clerk who was much more professional and knowledgeable the the man at night came up to my room only to find out there was no problem at all!!!!! I guess you have to put in your room key after you open the door to a machine on the wall which turns on all the lights. That was very upsetting since the night desk clerk had an "oh well " attitude. other than that staff, room and hotel was great. Was alittle upset that they didnt care so much for my inconvience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The first impression is very nice: located in the centre of town, in what probably was an old palace, a nice entrance. The young ladies at the reception are kind and try to be helpful, but their english is limited. This is the nice part, now the room. My room was in the sort of motel-like arrangement that has been created in the inside courtyard: the wooden planks of the stairs and of the corridor are noisy and have lost their varnish. The room is large and well furnished, but it is freezing cold; the wooden floor is scratched everywhere. The walls have a few cracks and have that brownish shade here and there that suggest that a painting is long due. After complaining the maid left the heating on permanently, but the room remained cold, now with the added problem of a very noisy fan starting and stopping every few minutes. Very disturbing at night. Also, the washbasin was not draining properly and the general impression of the room was not very clean.
Price, including breakfast, was € 139/night. I shall not use this hotel again, nor would advise others to do so.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed 5 nights during the cold February 2013 and really enjoyed it. Nice room although not huge. Warm and very clean. The bathroom was great although the bath towels were a bit small. Good job I am only 178 cm. The minibar was nice but I really could have done with a kettle to make some coffee. Breakfast is a big affair with a huge choice and delicious cakes but at 20 euro a head really only worthwhile if you have a big appetite. I prefer to eat normally and pay less. On the positive - all the staff where extremely pleasant and helpful. Also, the location is excellent. It's just a few minutes walk from the epicentre of Ghent and the main canal and easily accessible by car. I couldn't imagine a better position.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple