“More 3 than 4 star”
Review of Hotel de Flandre

Hotel de Flandre
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hotel was OK, but certainly not 4 star.
We had a courtyard room which was large and spacious but well used. The bed was large and very comfortable. Dressing gown and slippers were provided which was a nice touch.
Window opener was broken, so we couldn't shut the window.
The safe was inside the wardrobe, but not fixed, so you could lift it out! No security at all for your valuables.
Breakfast was good except that the 'hot' buffet (bacon eggs and sausage), was mostly cold, being in an old fashioned bain marie. The breakfast room was small and cramped and on one day there were not enough seats, so guests had to queue and wait for a table. Service was under par, with only 2 staff to clear tables and serve tea and coffee. On our last day we did not see a server until we had finished breakfast.
Staff were generally pleasant and helpful.
During our stay there were renovations going on in courtyard rooms which, meant that hammering and banging started around 8am. There was no mention of this when we checked in.
Overall it was reasonable value for money considering that Ghent is not a cheap city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Hotel de Flandre was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. It is not the most luxurious or modern and they should have screens in the windows. It is the staff that makes this hotel wonderful. The breakfast is fabulous. Annik, the chef, does the baking herself.
I had a conference in Ghent which I almost had to back out of because of a family emergency. Since I was going to be arriving tired and stressed, I booked the hotel shuttle (105 euro) . There was a mix-up and I had to wait for 45 minutes for Michele, the driver. Because of the problem they let me check into my room early and there was a plate of patisserie and fruit waiting for me.
The morning of my presentation I came downstairs because I wanted to practice it without waking my roommate They let me into the smaller breakfast room and shut the door so nobody could come until I finished. I have never been treated so well at a hotel. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street are noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013

De Flandre is a middle class hotel in a very good location in Ghent. All the central attractions are in the neighborhood.
I had a double room and it was spacious with a nice view to the old city center, but under renovation. Still they rent it out!! The wall near by the window was unpainted, but just sanded (see the fotos). No need to say that there was a huge amount of dust on armchair, chairs etc.

The staff was semi-friendly => ok. The boy in a reception should have had more active attitude towards his work. I took up with him twice and both times his attention was more in the computer than the customer, like when I wished "good morning" he replied "Hi" without fixing his gaze on me at all. Maybe his was playing some cool net-game while working and I was just interrupting…

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Having read some reviews, I was not quite sure what to expect.
What a pleasant suprise!

The location is very central. The accomodation was both clean and of good quality. The building has maintained much of its original character and is much more preferable to the blandness offered by many of the newer/chain hotels.

Reception was extremely helpful and very imformative.

Car Parking is available close by at only 10 euros per 24hrs.

All in all a most enjoyable stay

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rod w
Reviewed 21 June 2013

12 of us stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The reception handled our arrival professionally and the rooms were large and very comfortable. The breakfast was substantial although the breakfast room was quite small so you needed to time you meal to avoid waiting.

On the whole we found this a good hotel with the only caveat that parking was a bit of an issue. Two of our cars had roof boxes so we were unable to use the underground car parks and parking in the road outside the hotel required a certain degree of patience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Like others who stayed in the suite / family room, I was very disappointed in many areas. No screens in the windows, so when you open a window to let air in, bugs can enter the room....3 dead bugs in the tub when we first walked into the room. Hair on the bathroom floor when we walked in, main carpet stained and not vacuumed...we told this to the front desk, they told us that the housekeeping staff would take care of it, and 6 hours later it hadn't been addressed. The main bedroom walls are scuffed, and one of them is drywall (not painted Sheetrock).
Definitely not as nice as 3 star hotels that we have stayed at in Belgium. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CO2112traveler
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The Hotel de Flandre is in a very convenient location near the city center. Driving there, however, you'll need GPS - it is tricky to find.
There are public parkings nearby, I found the prices very reasonable (25 EUR for Friday afternoon to Sunday noon is not exaggerated). Tram connections are good as well.

The hotel looks nice from the outside, has a nice, old style entrance, lobby, and bar.. but the rooms! Really!
The "Superior room", or "suite", was very odd, all windows facing ugly walls or makeshift roofs, sad and tired furniture, absence of decent light and decoration. The bathroom was in the middle of the two rooms. The bedroom so tiny that there were about 40cm room on both sides of the bed. Big problem with attention to details - curtain not properly attached and hanging down on one side. Dead plants in the court and windows. Spider webs.
Worse still, the shower. Showering in a bathtub in front of the window, water splashes everywhere and the whole room is full of puddles that you'll have to clean up afterwards.
Stairs to get to the room were narrow (a typical flamish/dutch problem) and bordering on dangerous.

Upside: very nice staff, speaking at least three or four languages (flamish, french, english, even german). Breakfast is decent, but it wasn't included in the room rate so I was finding it a tad expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple