“If you can get a good deal then this is actually a great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel de Flandre
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
London, United Kingdom
“If you can get a good deal then this is actually a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We couldn't believe our luck when we saw this 4 star hotel was £80 a night with breakfast and free wifi. The location is great just by a canal with lots of bars, the room was very big and the bed was a proper double as opposed to 2 singles pushed together and comfy too. Free wifi in the room was a bonus and having breakfast included was a bonus. Normally breakfast is priced at £17 a person which isn't worth it, its just pastries, ham, chesse, breads and scrambled eggs etc so if its not included in your deal I wouldn't pay extra for it. The guy at reception also needs training in customer service and couldn't really be bothered to answer questions etc. The bar was completely dead both nights we were there, but for the price, the hotel was a bargain.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hotel through the Eurostar website as part of a train + hotel deal for a 3 night get away for my boyfriends birthday.
We arrived on Monday at about 1pm and had to wait 10 min for a receptionist to appear. We left our luggage and returned about 3.30 to check in. We were informed that we would not get breakfast as we had a 'discount rate' but if we did want breakfast, it would be €16 each. The lack of breakfast was not made clear at the time if booking and I thought the hotel included our breakfast, I wouldn't have booked it otherwise. I also thought €16 per person was very expensive, the Marriott, also a 4* hotel a few doors down charged €9 for breakfast - a much better deal.
Our room was in good condition and clean with towels and shampoo provided however there was no tea and coffee facilities in the room. Again, booking a 4* hotel, I assumed that this would be a standard, hotels charging £15 a room in the uk provide this! But again when questioned, the receptionist told me because it was a discount rate, no tea and coffee was provided.
Our air conditioning was not particularly cold and although we asked for someone to look at it, they simply removed the dial on the control board, having no effect on the temperature! We also found that the plug sockets near the bedside tables did not work. I also had to ask for some ice to try and sooth some mosquito bites (after being eaten alive after having the window open one night to try and cool down) but was also told that the ice machine was broken.
I cannot fault this hotels location perfect for being in the centre of the city however, next time, I will spend a few pounds extra to get the basics I feel should be standard in a 4* hotel. There is a useful spar supermarket across the road for bits and pieces as the mini bar was extortionate (€2 for 4 Oreo cookies!). Staff did not seem that bothered to help - I get the impression that because we got the hotel Ian package deal, we were not treated as other guests might be. So overall, not what I expected of a 4* hotel in facilities but ok if you just want somewhere to crash with the basics and an easy walk to the main attractions but as I said, spend a few more pounds and go to a real 4* hotel!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We liked the location of this hotel, which was only a four minute stroll from the canal and its main attractions, there was also a Spar shop opposite. We chose this hotel partly because it was rated as 4 star, the entrance was charmingly converted from the original 18th century coaching access and the breakfast room converted from the stables. Our room was in the main body of the hotel, contemporary in style, clean but with a few stains on carpets and curtains, with a large firm bed, . The pillows were the square continental style and very plump - too high for me, flatter ones were provided, at my request, the next morning by housekeeping who also brought a tray with tea/coffee etc and a kettle; for although the hotel information guide claimed that this was available in the room, the receptionist said it only applied to superior rooms. Based on our experience, I would rate this as a 3 star hotel.
Breakfast provided a good choice of food but it was a good idea to get down early as the breakfast room got very busy, the staffing level was not really enough for the number of guests, so food ran low and tables were slow to be relaid meaning competition for seats was hot!
The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a good deal on this break and, despite a few drawbacks, would return in the future.

Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Very well located. our rooom which was a family two levels room was adequate. the decor was not even near than what i saw on the pictures but for one night it was ok. however beds were not very comfortable. the corridor smelled of bleach as somebody has done some serious carpet cleaniing. breakfast was absolutely first class. great choice and great quality of product. i liked the breakfast room a lot. staff was also very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
middle england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hotel was OK, but certainly not 4 star.
We had a courtyard room which was large and spacious but well used. The bed was large and very comfortable. Dressing gown and slippers were provided which was a nice touch.
Window opener was broken, so we couldn't shut the window.
The safe was inside the wardrobe, but not fixed, so you could lift it out! No security at all for your valuables.
Breakfast was good except that the 'hot' buffet (bacon eggs and sausage), was mostly cold, being in an old fashioned bain marie. The breakfast room was small and cramped and on one day there were not enough seats, so guests had to queue and wait for a table. Service was under par, with only 2 staff to clear tables and serve tea and coffee. On our last day we did not see a server until we had finished breakfast.
Staff were generally pleasant and helpful.
During our stay there were renovations going on in courtyard rooms which, meant that hammering and banging started around 8am. There was no mention of this when we checked in.
Overall it was reasonable value for money considering that Ghent is not a cheap city.

phl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Hotel de Flandre was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. It is not the most luxurious or modern and they should have screens in the windows. It is the staff that makes this hotel wonderful. The breakfast is fabulous. Annik, the chef, does the baking herself.
I had a conference in Ghent which I almost had to back out of because of a family emergency. Since I was going to be arriving tired and stressed, I booked the hotel shuttle (105 euro) . There was a mix-up and I had to wait for 45 minutes for Michele, the driver. Because of the problem they let me check into my room early and there was a plate of patisserie and fruit waiting for me.
The morning of my presentation I came downstairs because I wanted to practice it without waking my roommate They let me into the smaller breakfast room and shut the door so nobody could come until I finished. I have never been treated so well at a hotel. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street are noisy.