“Didn't feel 4 star”

Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
milton keynes
“Didn't feel 4 star”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Things got off to a tricky start - turned up to find the booking hadn't been communicated properly and we'd been given double rather than twin rooms. It's common in Belgium to have a double bed that splits into two twins but these were doubles proper. Initially reception said they couldn't help until the next day as no spare rooms but after some resistance from us agreed to see what they could do. After a short wait other rooms were found and we went out for the evening. On getting back our bed still hadn't been split, but the linen was there so were able to split it and make it up ourselves.

Parts of the hotel were nicely done, but our room, on two floors in the roof space (bathroom downstairs, bedroom upstairs) had some dilapidation (eg headboard lights had to be propped up). Bathroom though had clearly been refurbished and was of a high standard other than the rust coloured water when we first used it. Great view across the Ghent rooftops though.

Breakfast was adequate and a typical continental spread. Some very nice and dainty small cakes were a highlight. There was just enough seating with the one room operating and plenty when they opened up the adjoining room.

Overall a pleasant hotel in an excellent location - just a few minutes stroll from the historic centre of Ghent - but perhaps it needs to complete its refurbishment and just up its game a little to warrant the full four stars.

Room Tip: Make sure you are clear if you want a twin room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I visited Ghent last weekend, mainly because of business so I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how charming and beautiful town it is! But just like any place attractive for tourists it is full of tourist traps and De Flandre is definitely one of them... and the worst kind I have ever experienced during my travels. It's a trap quite literally as well as website lures you with rather charming period building and pleasant looking old fashioned classical interior .. DO NOT be fulled!
It's all just a facade which I learnt that the moment I crossed the entrance door. Most of the hotel rooms (also our rooms) are located in cube like ugly gray blocks which are hiding on the back of the pretty exterior. It looks all a little bit like a cheap motel somewhere off the highway in the middle of nowhere. The kind of place which drug addicts and outlaws choose as a hideaway in american movies ( I guess you get the picture).

Walking inside the room only confirmed my already negative impression.. extremely outdated furniture.. worn out towels and not exactly crispy bed sheets (I considered sleeping in my clothes later on) blanket I wouldn't even allow my dog to lie on, no slippers and cold stone floor... I wanted to run out screaming!! but unfortunately being limited by time of other arrangements I had to stay at least that one night and decided to cut the stay short..

.... but at the front desk (despite voicing how extremely unhappy I was) I was told that I can't cancel the second night because both nights have been prepayed already (which wasn't true as it turned out next day) manager didn't allow such operation and "sorry but your money was lost "- I was told by the receptionist with a big smile on his face. The next day after conversation with different receptionist ( making a bit more competent impression) I found out manager still didn't allow cancelling the charge for the second night so me and my companion left the hotel having payed full 2 nights charge for both rooms.... yet relieved to be out of there!!

It's incredible how many things can be wrong in one place, I think it was in fact the worst hotel experience in my life! .. even red wine in the mini bar (which I was hoping would blur a little this appalling picture) was absolutely disgusting.. I reckon water after cleaning wine glasses would taste similar.

Horrible hotel, incompetent staff.. if you want to enjoy beautiful city of Ghent stay away from this hotel, location is not worth putting up with any of it !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
The entire team of Hotel de Flandre makes every effort to ensure the stay of our guests is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We pride ourselves on our commitment to service and we are continuously aiming for improvement.

We do spend a lot of attention to detail, and we are constantly renovating to maintain our 4 star hotel standard. For example, the entire hotel interior and exterior have been repainted t his summer. So comparing our hotel to a cheap motel with rooms in gray blocks is simply untrue.

At Hotel de Flandre we take a personal interest in ensuring that our housekeeping team maintains the highest standards. Our staff is trained to make sure the rooms are spic and span. All linnen is checked before making up the beds to ensure its cleanliness. Before our guests arrive, our executive housekeeper checks if the rooms are perfectly clean and welcoming for our guests.

In addition, I can guarantee that our reception team is well-trained in order to help our customers when needed. Certain hotel policies do apply when leaving the hotel earlier and cancelling a room night. Calling our staff incompetent because they follow our rules and policies is not acceptable.

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is in the centre and it is very easy to walk around Ghent from here. Parking is at an underground secure 24 hour car park (p7) approx. 200 meters from the hotel @ 10 euros per 24 hours.

The hotel is nice a very welcoming on arrival staff were friendly and informative, the wifi is free and seems to be hotel wide.

We had a courtyard room it was spacious and well appointed - just a word of warning for Ghent as a whole (not this hotel) it suffers from Mosquitoes and they are hungry so be prepared and don't blame this on the hotels.

Breakfast is excellent and I can only assume Lucifer had a hand in the menu - I mean Belgium chocolates for breakfast - so wrong it has to be right !!!! And it would be impolite not to indulge :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sherman, Texas
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The location is excellent, a short few minutes walk to the Graslei area with the canal, restaurants, shops & historic locations. Our very nice room had a problem with the lavatory stopper and since the hotel was full, we were moved to a suite across the street to de Flandre's longer term rentals.
The suite was well appointed with full kitchen, including washer/dryer. The suite appeared newly renovated with quality fixtures in the bath. Our room rate remained at the rate we had booked.
The reception staff were most accommodating and assisted at a moments notice.
I can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our initial room fronted on the street. The suite did as well. Both quite nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jagman68xke
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was in Ghent for both business and leisure purposes. Ghent is a lovely city with lots of bars and restaurants and plenty of things to do in the evening (the university also makes it a very lively city). Although the hotel's very central location in the old city center it is easily accessible by car. This comes in very handy when you wish to combine the evening joys of the old city center and its restaurants with day time business in the outskirts of the city.(f.e. Port of Ghent)

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet was elaborated and fresh.

The WIFI in the hotel is free and the high speed allows proper use.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was a lovely place to stay for a few days. The location is excellent - you can walk everywhere and reach the central canals in a couple of minutes. You are spoiled for choice for good places to eat too. Breakfast at the hotel is great - especially the cold selections - but if the hotel is busy, you might want to stake a claim to a table with a jumper as one morning our table was taken and we didn't have anywhere to sit for a while!!
This is not a particularly exciting hotel to stay in, but it was great for a few days.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I was in Ghent for about a week for a conference at the college. The venue was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the Graslei area just around the corner. Plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Room was nice and clean, shower nice and hot and powerful. Breakfast was fine, I wouldn't rave about the hot breakfast but the juices, breads, cereals etc were fine. I liked that they had different dried fruits and nuts to put onto your cereal or yoghurt. Sometimes they were a bit slow to get to you for tea and coffee but otherwise no complaints. They don't have a locked room for leaving your luggage but we left ours anyway since we felt that it would be safe. Having read some other reviews I'm glad I had a better experience. It was 30 degrees in Ghent the week I was there so I was far from cold! Overall it was exactly what I was looking for, clean, decent bed, decent breakfast and close to the conference I was attending.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business