“not what it should be!”

Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Ghent, Belgium
“not what it should be!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

1 elevator, if you're lucky, it will take you only 10 minutes to get to the 4th floor, on foot you wont get there, trust me.
bathtub with no attached shower head to the wall, so you shower like in the 'very old' days! woke up during the night due to rain!?
no other facilities then rooms + breakfast room...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear teejay 1969,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel de Flandre. I appreciate all your feedback as we continuously strive to improve and better our hotel and services.

Unfortunately, our hotel does not have its own restaurant. We only serve breakfast and offer our guests a room service menu with a limited number of dishes. This is also mentioned on our hotel website, so I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations.

I would also like to mention that the 4th floor is not only accessible by elevator but also by stairs. Our reception team is always available to provide our guests with this information

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kristel Cauterman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
Upper Beeding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Very pleasant and helpful staff, and I suspect that the main hotel is quite acceptable at its price range, but we got dumped in "The Annexe" across the road. It's newly converted and looks like the inside if a prison with a metal staircase up several flights of stairs. Worse was to come. The bedroom has no carpet and no walls other than a low partition between the show area and the bedroom. Basically. The loo is in the bedroom. It's out of sight, but not in a separate room with a door, so privacy is limited. Think modern prison and suddenly the exterior of the building was preparing you for what you find inside.
Be prepared to meet your fellow inmates on the landing in the morning. It's the only place with wifi reception and it can get crowded.
Cheap and nasty for the 4 Stars posted at the front door. 2 stars maybe.

Room Tip: Refuse the annexe
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elansea,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit, in regards to our rooms. Please note we can take your room preference into account, and that we can accommodate rooms without open-plan bathroom. Just let our reception team know in the future, and we will have your preference noted in your profile. We are currently looking into the feedback you provided on the wireless internet, and are looking to resolve this. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel de Flandre.

Kristel Cauterman

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in December 2013 - five minutes away from the main city square and Christmas Market. With no on-site parking we parked in an underground car park less than five minutes away from the hotel. Having stayed at the Novotel only a few weeks earlier thought I'd try something different and was a little disappointed. My room was on the 'Exec' floor for which the bathroom was built behind the bed separated by a partition wall that didn't go up to the ceiling - which just looked cheap. The paintwork also was also a bit tired and the room was stuffy. We didn't have breakfast (as it was pricey) for which we found a wonderful cafe just around the corner full of great atmosphere and locals. For my next visit to Ghent - I'll probably end up back at the Novotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Richard A,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to therooms. I appreciate all your feedback as we continuously strive to improve and better our hotel and services. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel De Flandre and shared a twin room. The rooms are beautifully decorated, we stayed in the new annexe on the opposite side of the road.
Large, spacious rooms, comfortable beds and has a real air of oppulence.
The location was ideal, staff friendly and there was plenty of selection for breakfast.
The only downside: I was travelling for work and sharing a room with a work colleague, the bathroom was open plan, with just a small divider wall and no door, this offered absolutely no privacy, the bathroom itself was lovely, the shower was great, plenty of lighting and mirrors but yes not an iota of privacy which was not great. Also the twin beds were pushed so far together it may has well have been a double bed.
For a couple, friends or family this room would have been perfect but for colleagues I would suggest just checking if you are in one of these more open plan rooms.
I am not complaining as it was an utterly gorgeous hotel but the wrong choice of room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear lashes-1984,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel de Flandre. I am happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the location of the hotel, our attentive staff and our breakfast.
Please note that we can accommodate rooms without open-plan bathroom. Let our reception team know in the future, and we will have your preference noted in your profile.
I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Hotel de Flandre.

Woodbridge
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hotel de Flandre is a conveniently located sensibly budgeted hotel close to the historic centre of Ghent. It is clean and well appointed. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was excellent.
The only minor gripe we had, was that we booked through an internet clearing site (Trivago) and weren't aware that we would be in the annex 30metres down the road rather than the main building. There was no problem with this other than the main hotel is a much nicer building.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank suffolksalami
Dear Suffolksalami,

Thank you for your response on your stay. I am pleased to hear you had a great experience.
Thank you for recognizing the friendliness of our staff as well as the quality of our breakfast. I will share your nice comments with the entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Ghent!

Broseley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights over new year. We paid a little more to stay in a 'luxury' room and it was still cheaper than the Marriott around the corner.

For position, unbeatable - turn right out of the hotel and within 30 seconds you were standing on the bridge of the river gazing at the Flemish frontages of the buildings in the very heart of Ghent. Check-in and check-out were very smooth but interestingly, apart from these visits to the lobby, we did not see a single member of staff during the entire stay. We walked into the hotel, had to walk through the breakfast room and climb the stairs to our room above the courtyard and did not pass any members of staff. Very weird!

The room was super, huge floor space, features such as a fire place and wooden floor gave it some character. Tea/coffee, safe, free wifi; all of the features you would expect in a 4-star hotel.

An enjoyable stay, a couple of niggles that would perhaps increase our rating; the water sometimes took an age to heat up, or didn't heat up at all meaning the shower was cold on one occasion. The wooden floor, whilst aesthetically pleasing, was creaky and therefore the only noise we were affected by was from within our own room! Finally, our rate didn't include breakfast but we were offered it for 20 euros per person! 20 euros?! On a 4 night stay, that would equate to 160 euros on top of our bill...for breakfast! I couldn't believe it and even though we didn't opt to have it, it remained in the back of my mind. We just visited the Spar opposite the hotel and bought fresh croissants and orange juice for a cost of 5 euros each morning.

In summary, a really great central location that wasn't too expensive over the new year period.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom083
Dear Tom083,

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in one of our luxury rooms but I do apologize for the small hiccups you experienced as this is certainly not the norm here. All your feedback is being reviewed and I would like to thank you for sharing it with us.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Ghent.

Hampshire
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for a few days with my daughter to visit the Christmas Market. Stayed in Bruges many times and decided to have a change. We were very glad we did. Ghent is a superb city and has a very attractive medieval part. We chose the Hotel de Flandre as it is extremely close to the medieval part and there are plenty of restaurants close by. We booked an Executive Room but were upgraded to a Suite which was superb. There was a lovely sitting room with a sofa-bed, a spacious king sized bedroom, large bathroom with Jacuzzi Bath, large washbasin and separate shower, and a separate toilet with washbasin. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was an excellent choice of food at breakfast, hot and cold buffet and my daughter loved the pancakes. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the standard of cleanliness is extremely high. It was very cold when we visited, but the heating in the hotel was excellent. I hope to visit again with my husband.

Room Tip: Higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Accountingpair
Dear Accountingpair,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de Flandre and for taking the time to share feedback about your stay.
I am pleased that you had a great experience in our hotel and in our lovely city. I will make sure to share your nice comments with the entire team. Please let me know if I can assist with any future plans.