“Too expensive for the service”
Review of Hotel de Flandre

Hotel de Flandre
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I had a room in the annex across the street from Marriot, the Wifi was not working, housekeeping was very poor. Out of five days spent there, twice there was no housekeeping at all and the sheets were never changed. The back yard is a mess with trash bags waiting for days behind the main entrance door. Breakfast and location are good, but pretty much that's it. I will not go back, even if I spend at least one week per month in the area.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Emil C

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for three nights in this hotel in Ghent. Good value (deal combining Eurostar and travel through Belgium with three nights accommodation and breakfast for £200).

The main reason I chose this hotel was for it's location; we walked absolutely everywhere. It's right in the historic centre and nowhere is much more than a 10 minute walk really. The streets around the hotel feel safe too (watch out for the bicycles though!). In fact, my sister and I actually walked from the train station (about 40 minute walk) but I wouldn't do that again - there's no need, as Tram line1 is only a few mins walk away from the hotel, costs 1 euro 30 cents and is easier than wheeling a case over the cobblestones!

I don't think I would have paid the 20 euro fee for breakfast if it wasn't included. Although the selection of pastries, meats, cheeses, cereals and hot food was excellent and good quality, it is rather steep for a breakfast meal. The staff were great; one man even remembered that I liked a hot chocolate the previous morning. They constantly refill the breakfast area. I would recommend not sitting by the courtyard window for breakfast, because then you're surrounded by people getting their breakfast.

Our room was at the rear of the building off a pleasant leafy courtyard, kind of one and a half levels up. We'd asked for a quiet room and that's what we got. Nice and light too and very spacious indeed. Plenty of sockets in the room and they provide an adaptor if you need. There's a small supermarket (Spar) literally a couple of steps across the road, so we bought wine and water there and kept it all cool in the mini fridge, rather than pay their hefty minibar fees. Didn't try the tv but it was a good size. Bathroom was clean and well-stocked with toiletries, even including slippers and bathrobes. We could hear a drip (I presume from the toilet cistern) continuously but we shut the bathroom door, which sorted that out.

The only thing marring our stay slightly was that the aircon didn't seem to be functioning properly. Unless I was doing something wrong I didn't seem able to change the temperature at all. It wasn't bad enough for us to say something to reception at the time but we mentioned it when we checked out and the staff made a note.. The room was tidied every day by the unobtrusive staff. Comfortable beds and plenty of lights and storage space for all of our stuff.

The staff were very helpful, even printing out train times when we decided to go to Bruges for the day. They have a plentiful supply of maps of Ghent! They also let us leave our bags in a small cupboard under the stairs when we arrived early and it was no problem for us to leave them after we had checked out. We were charged a per person nightly city tax when we checked out; it would have been nice to have been told this when we checked in but I wasn't too surprised after having stayed in Rome.

I would definitely stay there again. I was very happy with everything about the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, off the courtyard. (probably best not to go for ground floor). Also some of th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
HoteldeFlandre, Front Office Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Sophie D,

Thank you for sharing your review. I'm glad to hear overall you had a good stay but do apologize for the small hiccups you experienced with the AC. All your feedback is being reviewed and thank you for sharing that with us. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Ghent.

Freija Wyffels

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were in the annex across the street on the ground floor. Room was big, enough plenty of closet space and a very comfortable bed. The room had good black out drapes so we were not wakened early by the light.

The shower was fantastic and shampoo, etc. was supplied.

The room was quiet and the wake up calls were on time.

We parked at St, Michael's garage and thought the price reasonable.

We got good information at the front desk about how to use the trams and where to find the one we needed.

We bought breakfast outside the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear mjm814,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de Flandre and for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay, and that you enjoyed our room facilities as well as our attentive staff. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the entire team.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed for a mid-week short break and were allocated room 4 which is on the ground floor at the rear of the building across a courtyard. The room was quiet, very spacious and comfortable although rather dark. Bathrobes, slippers and plentiful toiletries were supplied.

I liked having a kettle and choice of teas etc which were replenished daily. If you want an alcoholic drink I suggest you look at the prices on the minibar menu first and then do as we did, buy your drinks from the hotel bar and take them back to your room or sit in the courtyard.

Our room backed onto a small courtyard (light well) that was shared with another room, there was a small table for our use; and also what looked like a bit of old carpet (my husband said it was a doormat) chucked in the corner. How odd and how ugly! Had no-one on the staff noticed it and thought to move it?

I can't comment on the breakfast as we had breakfast out at a small coffee bar nearby which was a lot less expensive.

Here is the really odd bit: I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful but they (or rather one of them in particular) was very argumentative and rude to my husband about parking. He arrived by motorbike and could find nowhere to park it (motorbikes are not allowed in the underground car parks), so asked reception for advice. This advice seemed to be, there is nowhere so you'll have to get a parking ticket and appeal it (?!), which he wasn't willing to do. Having parked illegally we set off to find somewhere for dinner and walked past free designated motorcycle parking near the hotel. So that solved the problem. However as my husband was checking out, the same receptionist began the parking discussion/argument again!

I realise the reception staff get asked all sorts of questions and can't be expected to know everything, but if you don't know (and it's a reasonable question), please either try to find out the answer or say you don't know. Misinformation and/or rudeness have no place in customer service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FavershamHector
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear FavershamHector,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel de Flandre. I appreciate all your feedback as we continuously strive to improve and better our hotel and services. I am happy to hear overall you had a great stay and enjoyed the location of the hotel, as well as our our attentive staff. I do apologize for the small hiccups you experienced as this is certainly not the norm here. We will discuss these issues with the entire team to avoid issues like this in the future. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is one of the very few hotels we had not stayed in before in Ghent so we thought it was worth a go. You can park in the St Michaels garage for 11 euros a night which is very reasonable for Ghent. Very nice quiet room. Cannot comment on breakfast as we were room only. Quite a small dining room but perfectly adequate. Small outside seating area which had annex rooms off it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Patmar58,

Thank you for choosing Hotel de Flandre and for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the room and its location. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I had booked my room for one night on a business trip to Belgium.
I arrived at the hotel at around 1.00 p.m.
Strangely at the reception I have been told that the room was available only after 3.00 p.m., as this was the hotel policy, "even mentioned on the voucher". A part that on the voucher NOTHING was mentioned, I found it really rude and unpleasant from the hotel, as I had the feeling that the hotel was not so full and they could have given the room at any time. Nevertheless, I had to spend two hours walking around the city, waiting for the right time to get the room.
Not too bad, but not too hospital...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Filippo L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm happy to hear overall your had a great stay. Check-in time is after 3pm but please note that we do our utmost to accommodate an early arrival as soon as possible. If you want to guarantee that your room is available before 3pm, we advise booking the room one day in advance. This way your room is already blocked the night before you arrive, so that check-in is guaranteed before 3pm.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times as the company I work for use it. The location is great for exploring the city centre and it's many bars and restaurants. The rooms are reasonably well equipped and adequately maintained but I prefer the ones in the rear annexe than the main house which also have the advantage of you not having to wait for the dreadful old lift! The hotel has a quiet but nice bar but no restaurant for evening meals, only breakfast (which is delicious by the way).

On balance, the hotel is a decent enough place to stay but I have had some issues, particularly around the availability of airco and reliability of the same. However, the staff have always been most helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the annexe of the main hotel or, failing that, the annexe across the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HoteldeFlandre, Manager at Hotel de Flandre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Jonathan D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel de Flandre again, and for sharing your feedback.
I also would like to inform you that we can take your room preference into account, Just let our reception team know, and we will have your preference noted in your profile. We look forward to any upcoming visits, and please do not hesitate to reach out if we can assist with any plans.