“Excellent Choice in Ghent”
Review of Hotel Harmony

Hotel Harmony
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent only one night at the Harmony in May of 2014, but thought it a superb choice. It is not inexpensive, but delivers quality for your money. A short walk across a bridge brings you to the main square with many of the main attractions. Breakfast is very good. This is a classy establishment; I would have no hesitation about staying there again (if I hadn't rather quickly taken care of most of Ghent's charms).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PingConcordNH

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a very nice stay. We had a mix-up on the room, which they fixed as soon as they could. Location is great. Breakfast was excellent. ...............................................................

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RogerRover
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is located in a nice area, a short walking distance from the main touristic sites, with lots of restaurants and cafés close by.The staff was very helpful, keeping our luggage prior to check in time and providing maps/info about the town. We had room 1: no Jacuzzi but a large and well decorated room with high ceilings (original beams), a private courtyard and very comfortable beds! The breakfast was excellent and again the staff made sure that everyone had fresh coffee/tea and that nothing was missing. We would love to come back and try the swimming pool!

Room Tip: Room 1 was very nice, with original beams. There was no Jacuzzi tub but a private courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cécile V
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel is close enough to the city centre to be handy but not on a main road, so was quiet. The room was larger and better equipped than most hotels of this standard. The wifi access was easy and fast. The bed was comfortable and the choice for breakfast was excellent. I was on business and was only in the hotel to sleep and have breakfast, so I cannot comment on other services.

If I were to return to Gent for a holiday (which I might well), I would definitely consider this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2014

During our four night stay in mid- May we had a third floor room overlooking the small pool ( not yet open). The room has a very comfortable queen bed with four pillows plus two additional decorative pillows. The large bathroom includes a Jacuzzi tub with handheld shower, separated commode, one sink with large counter space. A large (42"?) flat screen TV with 4 channels in English as well as channels in Dutch, French and Italian. Electricity in the room requires insertion of the room key in a cutoff switch. The hotel provides free snacks in the bar between 6 & 8:00 PM and includes an excellent full breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank 261billh
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First of all, Ghent is a really lovely city and I am glad I included it in my recent trip. There are many lovely sights and some truly exceptional cathedrals, so I think it is underrated as a tourist destination. Having said that, one day - perhaps a day and a half - is sufficient for a visit and the city could benefit from some higher-end hotel choices.

I selected Hotel Harmony based on Trip Advisor reviews and it was...fine. The public areas are small but well-decorated, comfortable and inviting. I did not have breakfast but the buffet looked great, with a huge variety of choices, and I am sure I would have enjoyed it. The hotel is on a canal, but it is not a terribly attractive canal being rather dirty and looking particularly down-trodden, with abandoned or at least unrenovated buildings filling most of the view. There are beautiful canal views in Ghent but this is not one of them.

My room was...fine. My initial impression was that it looked a bit dated with some lower-end furnishings that lacked any real character or distinction. The bed is comfortable enough with decent pillows and a white duvet, but the polyester bed coverings and matching shams are awful and look like something from three decades ago. There is little useable desk space since most of that area is taken by the coffeemaker and supplies and the microwave. Unless most of the other hotels I stayed at during this trip, complimentary bottled water was not included. Also, there is not much space in the sink area for one's toiletries and other supplies. The room itself was very spacious so, unlike many other European hotel rooms, there is plenty of space for the desk and sink areas to be expanded. The shower and toilet area was fine; it was a bit odd that they are in the same space facing each other, but it didn't really bother me. Having the huge Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom area was just weird and I didn't use it. I did have a lovely terrace furnished with a nice table, two chairs and potted flowers, but it would have been more enjoyable if the canal view had been better.

My primary area of complaint is that the service generally lacks warmth, helpfulness and follow-through. I had also visited Brussels, Bruges and Amsterdam on this trip and was thrilled with the level of service I experienced everyplace else. There were two women at the desk when I checked in; check-in was prompt and I was escorted to my room but it was done without any smiles or any genuine sense of warmth or hospitality. During my room tour, we noticed that one of the lights (out of two) in the shower/toilet area was burned out and I mentioned that it needed to be replaced. The woman never sent anyone back to replace it and, in fact, two nights later, the bulb was still burned out. (Plus, there was no way the cleaning person could have cleaned that area and not noticed the burned out bulb.) Also, during my room tour, I asked if it was possible to have breakfast delivered to my room instead of going downstairs. She said she didn't know as she was new and would find out and call me right back. I never heard back from her. When I arrived back in my room after a day of sightseeing, my room had been well-cleaned...but a plastic bag full of trash was left sitting...literally...in the middle of the floor. One morning, I needed additional coffee capsules for the in-room coffeemaker so I called the front desk repeatedly...about four or five times and let the phone ring for lengthy periods...and no one ever answered. On the morning I checked out, I struggled to get my two large and heavy suitcases down the stairs in the lobby while the man behind the desk just watched me, without ever offering to help. And, no, there were no other guests or a ringing telephone for him to take care of...he indeed just sat there.

Again, Ghent is a lovely city and I am glad I visited but, if the wish is for it to develop into more of a tourist destination (and maybe it isn't the desire), it needs better lodging choices and much better service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank PamelaK O
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I were warmly greeted upon arrival. We were taken to our room, not directed. We had a spacious room, in the annex, with a jetted tub and shower combination. Our room had a coffee maker and a microwave, both nice extras not usually found in European hotels. The breakfast buffet was fresh and delicious. We found the staff to be friendly and courteous.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple