“Nice boutique hotel!”
Review of Hotel Carlton

Hotel Carlton
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I found this hotel from Trip Advisor's review and no hesitate to make booking then. Very impressive things we've met through our stay:-
- Location: not far from train station and in walking distance. The hotel is on right side of the station (walk to second road from the most right)
- Room: to my surprise with big room, stylish, clean especially shower room, great!
- Breakfast: fresh cook every morning, feel like home made.
- Price: charge in 3 stars, but servicing as 5 stars rate
The owner guy is in best service, do everything, good care to all guests.
Do not overlook when first enter the hotel until getting in room (as the reception area and
elevator are small). BTW, free wifi could work well downstair only.
Love Ghent, love Carlton's

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kanyakoch

Reviewed 8 December 2012

We went to Ghent last weekend to see a friend of ours and I booked a room in this hotel because it was next to the trainstation and in the neighbourhood of our friend. I didn't expect too much of the hotel as it was "only" a 3 stars hotel and quite cheap, but as soon as we arrived I knew I could've expected more and still have a pleasant surprise. There were 3-4 factors which counted for me:
1. The room:
A really good surprise there: the room was really big! I didn't expect that and was at once really happy I chose this hotel. It was all comfy, clean, well lit and well presented (for example the waterbottles on the table, the tea&coffee bags, ...). The bed was also good (which is quite important to me as I can have some back problems when sleeping in a too old bed).
The bathroom was not too big, but big enough.The towels were good, we had no problem with hot&cold water, .. and it was clean.
2. The garage:
It is a tiny garage, but all the same, it was good to have a place were we could park the car on arrival and be sure it was safe during our stay. The garage is in the hotel "basement", so only guests can access it. We left it there the whole three days.
3. The breakfast:
Here one word would suffice: YUMMY!!!!! I'm not usually a breakfast person, but took breakfast everyday there. Everything's fresh and tasty: the fresh orange juice, fresh fruits they cut in the kitchen next to you, hot and warm dishes, the bread was good too and the eggs they cook for you were perfect. I woke up early everyday only not to miss the breakfast.
4. The service:
Now, this is the real "plus" of this hotel. It is managed by three brothers and you really get the feeling that they care about each and every guest they have, just as I imagine it was in "the old days". They are really helpful about your stay in Ghent, but also in general. They also remember immediately which language you speak, they're really pleasant and nice, but not in the "fake" way you're used to in taller hotel chains. Here you just feel as real guests, not clients!

What else is there to say? The hotel is really close to the train station, if you come by car it's only 5-10min from the highway. As it is next to the train stations you basically can take a streetcar nearly every ten minutes to everywhere in Ghent and it takes you 10 minutes to get to the center of the Old City (30min by foot max). ... Oh, and if you want to taste a good wine, ask Steven who knows quite a lot about wine and will help you choose.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwenaz
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This hotel, which is close to the train station is very nice. The rooms are more than generous, people are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is excellent. Freshly prepard orange juice, eggs prepared on demand however you want them.

A little drawback may be the old elevator, that works but nobody knows for how long. Also the staircase is narrow and steep.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This 3 star boutique hotel offers a multiple star-count of service in gold. The rooms are large, well furnished and beautifully decorated. The breakfast is stylishly presented with a wide choice of fresh fruits, cold and warm dishes. Best breakfast eggs in Belgium!! Parking outside is not a problem and flat out cheap EUR 2.00 overnight. The center is child-easy accessible by streetcar (EUR 1.25 single fare), leaving every 10 minutes.

Room Tip: All rooms are identical. You can't pick wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paco_Hoofddorp
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We chose this place as our base for our first short stay in Belgium, choosing Ghent as a more relaxed base than Brussels. It is only a couple of hundred meters from the train station, so easy to access either way. There are bars and restaurants nearby, and the main centre near the canal is 30 minutes by foot, or 10 on one of the frequent trams. The room was large and well appointed - not luxurious, but very adequate for the price. Breakfast was in the price and included eggs cooked to order, freshly made juice and expresso coffee.
The place is run by three young and energetic brothers, one of whom was pretty much the sum total of the staff at any time. We found them all extremely obliging, whether with restaurant and other tourist suggestions, or helping us with a problem with the French hire car we were to pick up later in our trip. In fact, on checking out, I needed to persuade them to take a payment for what was an extended international call on their phone.
Highly recommended as a friendly, welcoming and economic place to stay in Ghent.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WaWaWill
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

This I feel is a hidden gem just outside the city centre. Run by 3 brothers who in the last 9 months have turned this hotel around. They are like a mini tourest office with a love and passion for this beautiful city. They are friendly and charismatic with a vision but all based around the guests.

The rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast a delight of fresh fruit, bread rolls, cold meats, preserved and fresh eggs cooked just how you like them.

Location is wonderful also 2 min walk to tram and bus station. The trams are regular and only takes just over 5 mins to the historic and architecturally Beaty that is the centre. I most certainly will return, not only, to the city but most definately this hotel

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Fayandrob
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My wife and I are on day 3 of our trip to Ghent. This hotel is very very nice. 1. Location is steps away from the main train station ... A very short walk with wheeled luggage. 2. Staff is VERY pleasant and helpful...3 brothers run the hotel. They gave us an intro to the city, recommendations, directions to the tram ... Very nearby. Offered to pack us a breakfast on the day we are leaving sine it will be very early. I injured my eye in Brussels (a black eye) and they volunteered to get a Dr if needed. Just very personable and pleasant. 3. Room is clean, has included Internet with a decent signal, nice bathroom, comfortable beds. Only 'minus' is that it was unusually hot in Ghent for one day and there isn't a/c, but there was an effective fan ready in the room and the windows work. The bathroom could use a larger vanity surface for the essentials. Turns out that my wife barely had enuf room and I kept my toiletries in the bedroom area. Nice sized desk area with accessible plug for the all important battery chargers. Tv was clear and had good reception with ample channels. Bed lights are too dim to read by, but my kindle had a light...my wife couldn't read in bed though. 4. Finally we both enjoyed the included breakfast...fresh fruit, freshly made eggs on demand, good European coffee however you like it, fresh juice ! Etc, etc. and white linen tablecloths.. 5, most important is that the room was quiet, but because of the heat our windows were open and you can hear some traffic. But the breeze was great. 6. Good value.

We would highly recommend this hotel. Look elsewhere if you want a pool and stuff like that...but as a central point for a trip to Ghent and a day trip to Brugge, it was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple