“Business Trip to Belgium”
Review of Hotel Carlton

Hotel Carlton
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had to visit three Belgium Cities in two days and looking at the map Ghent was the best place to stay. A quick check on TripAdviser told me the place to stay was The Carlton so I booked it. Boy was that a good call, when I got to the hotel I parked outside and went to reception, the chap outside who was repairing the window frames came and checked me in; turns out he's the owner. He upgraded me to the latest room they had refurbished and it was fantastic, beautifully decorated and the layout well thought through. Having spent an hour or two doing emails I went back to reception for a quick beer and to enquire where was good for dinner, the owner recommended The Rambler at the end of the road and gave me a voucher to take to get a free drink, good call dinner was very nice. All in all I had a great experience really nice personal service, relaxed and enjoyable, will use it again for sure (Dutch pun not intended).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We chose this place because we wanted to be close to the SMAK for an exhibition and the station, coming in late Friday night from the airport - ideally placed for both. What the physical building lacks in charm, the brothers make up for time over with their own touches, be it in the bar, the kitchen, or in conversation. Due to the opening of the Richard Jackson Exhibition, the hotel was actually full the weekend we wanted to stay - we were offered accommodation in a close by apartment for the same price, with the possibility of breakfast at the Carlton. Ideal. The breakfast is the "standard" european breakfast - eggs, bread, fruit etc - BUT the quality of the ingredients make it a delight. The background music, the homely bar, the fresh cut roses, the advice on where to go etc, etc - the list of personal attentions is a long one! Stay here, you will not be disappointed - great value for money for a truly personalised service. Thanks, boys!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank VagabondGourmand
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent service! Would recommend this hotel to anyone. A real genuine feel to what is a superbly run family business. Big thumbs up all round. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Great locate and easy parking at the hotel! This hotel deserves to be the number one hotel in Ghent.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I usually travel to Ghent on business trip and the Hotel Carlton is always my choice. I always feel welcome, and being a regular business traveler I really value the personalised attention and service from the very professional staff, who endeavour to ensure that their guests have a restful stay. They make a real difference to most of the hotels where I have ever stayed anywhere else.
The breakfast is of high quality standards and the guest rooms are comfortable, spacious clean, and with good internet connection. The hotel has also a special guest room for a superior and truly enjoyable experience.
The location is ideal for transportation links as it is within easy walking distance to St. Pieters station, with direct trains to Brussels city (Eurostar terminal) and Brussels airport. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank AngelsOD
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I had a lovely stay at Hotel Carlton. It is a little further out from the main tourist city centre but is a lovely walk along the canals into the centre. The tram is very close and also runs straight into the centre. The brothers were amazing hosts, so helpful in recommending and booking restaurants and very friendly. Breakfasts were great and very filling. Would recommend as a hotel with true personal service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank an0m
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Due to a business meeting i needed to stay overnight in a hotel near to my meeting.
After assessing booking.com i found this hotel and made my choice based on the good reviews.
This turned out to be a good choice. Already when entering the relatively small lobby I immediately felt welcome. Very kind and professional approach and provided with all information one would like to be informed about. A clean and comfortable room was an ingredient for a good night rest. The next morning i enjoyed a good breakfast and the owner made me a lovely ommelette.
After checking out the owner noticed my bags and guided me to the garage in order to make sure that i would not struggle to open the garage door of the parking. So thoughtful! Thank you.
The attention to the guest was well balanced. Exactly tuned to feel comfortable and perhaps more important, well meant! I travel worldwide for business and experienced all sorts of hotels. This little hotel has a place in my heart and i expect to return when paying a recreational visit to Gent.
Also good to mention that this hotel is honest with their tariff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at Hotel Carlton on 14th December for one night and couldn't recommend it more. The brothers that run the hotel gave us such a warm welcome and even moved their car out of the garage so we could park there. We reserved our parking space via email when we booked which they had remembered. They gave us a thorough introduction to Ghent and were really helpful with anything we asked. Buying tram tickets from the reception was handy and they explained how to use them too which was useful! The hotel was about 4 tram stops to the old town and the we got a pack of 10 tram tickets for $10 from the reception which was good value. We stayed in a standard room and it was very large, one of the biggest rooms we've stayed in. Bathroom was lovely, with a nice bath and furnishings. We paid for breakfast but it was worth it as they cooked us fresh eggs and we had access to the continental buffet, and the fresh orange juice was to die for! The hotel is incredibly reasonably priced (definitely when you compare to other hotels in Ghent). I guess it is a little cheaper due to the location being a bit further out however the tram stop is about a 2 min walk away, they come very frequently and they are cheap so really it wasn't a problem at all. It is also very close to the main train station of Ghent. We were sad to leave as we really did enjoy our stay and the service was impecable. Hopefully we'll be back soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple