Alphabed
US$259
US$167
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsevery morningfresh fruitlocation is greatstayed nightsmozzarellacheesecentrecitybelfry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2011

alphabed is really well located in gent. it's very charming, but a little bit dusty (don't check under the bed). the romantic room is on the ground floor, but it's very quiet.

i didn't meet marc, but jonane was very kind and helpful.
i would, for sure, stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisias P
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Like others I had read the reviews in Trip Advisor. My only complaint for the Alpha was not having received the door entry code before I arrived. I enjoyed my stay very much. The bed was wonderful, I slept like a rock.

The night I arrived in Ghent/Gent the weather was cold and blowing winds. At the train station, there were no taxis, so after waiting for 40 minutes I decided to walk, pulling my luggage and wearing my backpack. So by the time I arrived at Alpha B&B, I REALLY wanted a warm place to sit and a warm drink of any type. The house number is difficult to see, and the street addresses are numbered "funny". Marc, please email the door code ahead of time. My cell phone did not work so I also had to go to the corner and beg the local shopkeeper to call Marc who gave me the code, he said to make myself at home, so I did.

Trying to stop any colds or flu from starting, I consumed a full bottle of the orange juice in the refrigerator, and some WONDERFUL tea biscuits, and 2 cups of hot tea. Thanks Marc. It was late and I had been up for 30 hours, so I crashed early.

The next morning I was up early and was not aware that breakfast was at 8:00 a.m. so I made my own coffee and waited for Marc. When he arrived he prepared fresh breads, jelly and jams, coffee, tea, meats, cheeses, and took orders for hard or soft cooked eggs (the breakfast was more than anyone could eat.) It was a wonderful and filling breakfast.

When I had trouble using my laptop, Marc was so kind and helpful to assist me in attempting several things to get it working. Others staying the same nights had no problems with their laptops and Alpha's wireless network, so I'm sure it was my problem. When that failed, Marc let me to use his computer. It is nice of him to have that PC available to guests, but be aware, it has a French keyboard so the letters are in different location than the standard English keyboard.

I met his cleaning lady both mornings. Even though she does not speak English, she was very pleasant. Marc is a great guy and this is his business and source of income. I offered some suggestions to him and he took the comments very well and hopefully will consider them when he has to change things in the future.

The location of the B&B could not have been better. It was close enough to downtown (if you can call it that) that I could walk it in less than 5 minutes. The city is charming and if you get there in the next year or two you will see how charming the people are as well; it is on the verge of becoming the next BRUGG, where it will be over-run with tourist buses, so get there quick. The rooms wer nice ande quiet since Alpha is on a small street.

I chose the Alpha B&B based on location, pictures and price. The pictures do not do it justice, it is much nicer. The price was just what I was looking for to meet my travel budget, excellent. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this great B&B. Thanks Marc for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Specify if you want up/down stairs, single/double
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank pogosmail
Reviewed 2 April 2011

My husband and I recently travelled to Belgium from NY. We spent our first night in Gent at Alphabed and had a wonderful experience. The house was perfectly situated, minutes from the center of town, yet hidden away on a very quite street. The house had the perfect mix of chic, comfort and good taste while also being an exceptional value. I loved all the rooms so much I took pictures for design inspiration at home. Our host, Marc was also lovely and extremely helpful with tips concerning Gent. We hope to return to Belgium often and will definitely plan on staying with Marc again and will pass along this recommendation to friends.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tine09
Reviewed 9 February 2011

When I arrived, as arranged, I did not know about the key code. Why Marc did not email it beforehand I don't know. My phone was flat, I had no change, public phones were thin on the ground anyway, it was a dark rainy evening after a day's travel- not a great start. Fortunately I found someone who let me use her phone to get the code.
The room was stylish but I wouldn't have liked the openplan bathroom/ toilet if my husband had shared with me. Few facilities to put clothes. In my 5 days stay the room was not cleaned once, although I found it with the door wide open on my first night. Breakfast first morning was great, but I had come to attend a conference and found that my request for breakfast at 8 was not welcome. Marc's wife arrived just after 8 with bread, telling me she had to be at work in 15 minutes. I had already prepared my own breakfast by then. This happened every morning after that. I never saw Marc again after the first morning. In the evening dirty breakfast leftovers were still on the tables, making the room not very cosy for use. On my last morning I paid a lady I had not met before who spoke only French. I requested a receipt from her and several times later by email from Marc but never received one. Stay was actually October 2008.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank nepomukia
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I am sorry to write this, but I have to. I found Alphabed B&B through Tripadvisor and read good comments about that. I contacted Marc by e-mail and asked to book a room for 1 night. He replied that he had reserved a new room with a Moroccan bathroom. I printed out the map how to get there. It turned out Ghent has 2 or more train stations, we got off at the wrong one. Then we took the next train to the right station. There was a very nice lady on the train, who suggested us to take a bus after we get off the train. She was kind enough to walk us there. We had to walk a bit from the bus stop, so the map provided on the website was not useful at all. Finally we found the B&B, which happened not to have a sign outside, so we identified it by the house' number. A young lady opened the door, she looked very surprised to see us and asked something in Flemish. We said we have a reservation, that we contacted Marc. She didn't understand, but let us in, after a few minutes keeping us under the rain. Unfortunately neither of us spoke Flemish, the lady didn't speak any English, which is not good for the person, who works for a B&B accepting foreigners. When I said " We have a reservation for one night. A room with Moroccan bathroom. Moroccan". The word "Moroccan" helped and she led us to our room. The room was clean, the bed was ready, there were candies on the bed, but it was so empty and felt like a prison room. It was raining outside, so we decided to stay in for a while. After 15 minutes or so I found out the room had no TOILET, there was a bath and a separate shower, but no TOILET. We went downstairs to ask about the toilet, but found NO ONE. There was no one in entire house, no message or keys left. We couldn't find a toilet. We waited for a while, hoping that someone would show up, but no luck, there was no one. All we could do is to take our suitcases and walk out to look for a better place to stay. We walked towards the historical center and found IBIS right next to the cathedral, excellent location, for the same price. What a relief! I just could not imagine what could have happened if we left out stuff in Alphabed, walked in the city and came back in the evening to find the locked front door.
We are very disappointed by the service we received, hope we were the only ones to be treated like that.
I would not recommend this place to anyone and would never go here again.
We enjoyed our night in IBIS, great location, budget friendly, great service, nice room.
Ghent is a very pretty place. People were very friendly, except in Alphabed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple