“Beautiful, Delicious and Painstakingly Prepared”
Review of Naturell

Naturell
Ranked #7 of 873 Restaurants in Ghent
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful, Delicious and Painstakingly Prepared”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of the best meals we have had anywhere in the world.

We went for lunch, where the menu choices are two - more lunch or less lunch. You present your choice to the server, but rather than wait for what they might bring you, you watch the food being assembled.

Generally, I don't care about presentation - that's a level of food nerd that I just haven't reached. But the presentation at Naturell is breath-taking. I generally don't care to see my food being prepared, either, but watching the guys in the kitchen build beautiful little vegetable forests was surprisingly diverting, and I did like the was the food was laid out, both aesthetically and organizationally.

The food was magical. A lot of subtlety to the combinations of flavors, and the elevation of a number of foods I do not typically like. And like thirty different kinds of carrot.

Strangely, the service bordered on bad. As I have noted elsewhere here, Belgian service in general is quite different from American service. For one course, they made everybody else's dish and delivered it to them - I mean, we watched it, right? It was nearly a half hour before they made ours, and our server never said a word. "Hey, we can only make eight at a time, yours will be coming up." Something. Our server did absolutely nothing but take our order and then walk plates the ten feet from the kitchen, and didn't always do that well.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank TMFHitman

• Korean first
Madrid, Spain
“Works of Art Served in a Cool Zen Setting”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I recently at at Naturall solo during a weekend trip to Ghent. After I read the chef did some amazing things with vegetables, I had to try. And it didn't disappoint. The interior is very natural and spare and light and airy. The staff is incredible (and remarkably young! No one working in the restaurant, including the four chefs, looked to be over 25). Such great attentive service. And I LOVED watching the chefs work in the small, open kitchen. It was like watching a ballet or a group of painters working to prepare one masterpiece. Several would huddle over a dish before it went out, adding edible flowers, propping a buttered parsnip chunk just so, drizzling a little sauce as a finishing touch. The two vegetarian dishes I had were gorgeous and so, so creative. Although, the plates were maybe a little more beautiful than they were delicious.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank WalkerTalker1984
Belgium
“A new star in the sky above the wonderful city of Ghent”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had a superb dinner in this cosy new restaurant of famous best vegetable chef of the year 2011 Lieven Lootens (also see restaurant 't Aards Paradijs in Merendree - GM 16/20, 3 Michelin forks) situated in Ghent.
The plates are 'gastronomic eloquence', speaking the perfect language of taste and presentation, serving all the senses.
The crew is quite young but one can see and feel the enthusiasm and passion in their cooking and serving.
This was the first time that we came to pamper our tastebuds here, and it will definitely not be the last!

• Visited March 2014