“Gorgeous Ghent”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
carlisle
“Gorgeous Ghent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here 13/9/13 for 1 night during a driving holiday. Not bad to find and had the luxury of an underground secure car park. Booked a standard room at just over £100 inc breakfast and was not disappointed. Lovely big room, comfy bed, en suite bathroom and all told, well pleased. However, on closer inspection, the bathroom was a little grubby, tiling grout was dirty and there was human hair on the floor and in the bath (poor housekeeping). Also, housekeeping again, the duvet was upside down on the bed with the fasteners at the top not the foot of the bed; sloppy. As for the remainder of the hotel, all seemed fine. We had a great self service breakfast and anyone leaving hungry only has themselves to blame. Staff were also very helpful with a good grasp of english. The best part of this hotel was it's location, right in the heart of Ghent on the water front. Ghent is very pretty and well worth a visit. Would we stay at the Marriott again, of course, but just because they are a large chain, don't allow them to let standards slip!

1 Thank ljt155

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chessington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We booked a free room by redeeming some Marriott Reward Points, and were given a corner room on the third floor, which meant it was bigger than most of the other rooms on the floor. The floor to ceiling windows overlooked the spectacular atrium, and the decor was bland but OK. There was a large bathroom; no bath but a shower which leaked all over the floor. The most bizarre aspect was that there was nowhere in the large bathroom to put a wash bag or anything else - we ended up keeping ours in the bedroom! There was a huge radiator, though, which proved great at drying towels. The bed was very comfy, the curtains kept the light out and there was a kettle and a decent sized fridge. The free WiFi was very fast, and remembered who you were when leaving and coming back to the hotel, which was great.
We used the gym, which was in the basement, and quite well equipped, and we were lucky in having it to ourselves. The car park is underneath, with easy access, and costs 23 euros for 24 hours.
We didn't eat in the hotel, as it is so centrally located and there are plenty of choices nearby.

1 Thank PotterMoose
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were only stopping off for the night in Ghent and had a reservation at the Sandton Reylof, On arrival alas they had overbooked. After several hours driving I was simply too tired to complain but the hotel had instead reserved us a very nice room at the Marriott. It was a great relief to arrive at the Marriott. We don't really know Ghent that well and entered via the modern entrance on the carpark side of the building. We were very pleasantly surprised. The atrium provides a nice wow factor. The staff were very helpful, welcoming and professional. We had been allocated a Suite and the room was very comfortable, very quiet with a great bed. We had a couple of drinks and ate at the bar. The Club sandwich was great, the frites to die for. It was only when we went for a stroll and left via the rear of the hotel that we realised how wonderful the location was. You walk right out on to the water into the heart of Ghent. I'm only sorry I didn't book at the Marriot first. Arriving at night you don't realise how cleverly shoe-horned into the area the hotel is. The facade is traditional and in-keeping with the wonderful architecture around but inside you are surprised by modern airy spaces, curving glass structures and strong modern architectural lines. We'll certainly be back. Alas it was just a stop off with a late check-in so we didn't get a chance to use all of the facilities but I'm sure they would be very good.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated on the most beautiful street of Belgium, the Graslei. The construction respect in the neighborhood while still being very trendy is fantastic. Rooms are correct and food is excellent. Service could be quicker. A must go due to style and location

• Stayed September 2013
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Once we located the hotel it was a delight! We checked in late and didn't have any issues. Parking was convenient. The location was beautiful & there are plenty of things to do and see nearby. The bartenders were friendly and provided some great insight on the area. We fell in love with Ghent and had a fabulous stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I just left this hotel where I stayed for 2 nights for work. I think there are a few things that brightened my mood towards this hotel, so maybe this isn't a completely unbiased review this time.
First, they actually made a mistake when I checked in. They gave me a room and card key and when I went up, I walked in on someone was already occupying the room. They quickly changed me to another one down the hall. I'm not sure if they upgraded me on purpose due to the mistake or if they just put me in the next closest available room, but either way, I was happy with the move. I got a nicer and bigger room (this room was definitely bigger than my apartment where I currently live) in one of the renovated older parts of the building. So it was a good thing that they made a mistake for me!
Second, I had no idea that there was a big festival on in Gent when I was there, so the centre of town was lively, full of people and music going on everywhere. This is especially great when this is happening right outside your hotel door and you can walk straight into it. So if nothing else, the location was absolutely perfect to visit the old town of Gent which is beautiful.
Other than the reception mistake which turned out to be good for me, the service was professional. Wifi is free and fast. There is a gym in the basement that is rather spacious for a hotel gym with towels, snacks and water.
Only things that I advise against: breakfast was 24 Euros. It was a typical spread of a hotel breakfast buffet and it was nice, but 24 Euros is a bit over the top for breakfast. Also, I ordered the salmon cesar salad one day for room service. I can totally NOT recommend that one.
Other than the poor price-versus-quality of food, the hotel was great. So eat elsewhere and enjoy your stay the the Marriott Ghent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank GloJul
Bloomsbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We drove from Brussels to Gent. One of the bridges in the city was closed so we had great difficulty finding the hotel. GPS wanted to take us over the closed bridge. However, once we found the hotel, it was a delight. Great location, service, rooms. They do not have an executive lounge so offered breakfast and 3 drinks/room /night but only tap beer or house wine. No swimming pool and small fitness center. Easy walk to shops and restaurants and top sites.

Room Tip: Rooms with double beds do not have canal view