“Super location in Ghent! Staff so welcoming and helpful”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Agree with all other positive reviews! Good 4* all usual Marriott qualities.

Great hotel for a city break, fabulous location in centre of old town overlooking canal. All main attractions and shops and restaurants on your doorstep. Five minute walk to most places.Could easily nip back to room at any point during the day to drop shopping off or have a quick break which is always a bonus with kids moaning about walking.

I was going to book the Grand Reylof as ideally we would have liked a pool, but it was coming out so much more price wise that it didn't really seem worth it for a half hour of floating about at the end of the day. The only other options with pools were outdoors and closed at this time of the year (Novotel and Hotel Harmony) and so'm glad we went for the Marriott in the end and would definitely stay there again as it was the better location of all of these.

Main foyer modern and very light and airy. Always people milling about so nice place to sit and have a drink before going up to bed or during the day.

The staff were super friendly and very welcoming. Used the concierge several times during our stay and were very efficient and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. They even booked us some restaurants in Bruges for the next part of our mini break!

Have to say I was a bit disappointed when we first got to our room and it was at the back of the hotel looking down at a view of the street, but to be fair we had not elected to pay extra for a canal view room when we booked and there were no family double queen rooms available overlooking the canal when we checked in. They did offer us an upgraded room at the front of the hotel but it was an extra 60 Euro per night with just one King bed and then it would have been clogged up with a couple of roll outs so decided not to bother.

Once we settled into the room which was very nice, we forgot about the canal view and in actual fact we were probably in the best place as the back of the hotel on the third floor as it was very quiet and we got a really good nights sleep there. we stayed at the end of a corridor so never heard anyone outside. I would definitely stay in this part of the hotel again.

Room was very spacious and good for a family of 4, lots of storage space, tea and coffee facilities, a little fridge, good TV with UK channels, good bathroom (if I'm being picky the toiletries were a bit sparse and they only left 2 bath size towels for the 4 of us each day), and there was a study/desk area and a small seating area at one end of the room as well so we could spread out a bit. Heating/air con system very good.

Booked a family room with Marriott direct which included breakfast. it was a busy weekend, but we never had to wait to be seated.The breakfasts were very good. Cereals, fresh fruits, pastries, and a good cold section with nice cheeses and smoked salmon everyday. Lovely freshly squeezed OJ. Usual hot buffet (which unless you order freshly made is never going to be perfect, but the scrambled eggs were pretty good for the mass produced kind and hot). You could order fresh omelettes etc if you wanted too. Kids liked the waffle machine and liked making themselves a fresh waffle in the morning.Coffee was fresh and hot and you could order cappuccino etc. A nice relaxed start to the day and the dining rooms overlooked the canal which was nice too. Staff efficient and friendly. I would recommend the breakfasts and our kids always love this part of the hotel experience anyway.

We stayed 3 nights and then moved over to a hotel in Bruges, but to be perfectly honest Ghent has a much nicer feel and more to do generally. it feels more of a "real" town than just a tourist destination. If I went again, I would stay in Ghent and just make a day trip to Bruges as its only 25 minutes away on the train.

There are lots of nice restaurants to choose from. We ate at De Graslei one evening just across from the hotel on the other side of the canal. Nice interiors, moules were fabulous and massive portions, welcoming with kids and felt comfortable there, but starters were non descript and service a bit slow and forgetful. Also ate at Du Progres, don't be put off by its location on the main square, inside its very nice and the food and service was really good if you want to eat flemish style food and their steaks are great (make sure you book though as it was busy!). We also found a lovely little Italian about a 10 min walk from the hotel called Marco Polo which again concierge booked for us one evening. Very welcoming and great pizza. No menu in English as they are more of a locals restaurant (which I prefer) and they don't take cards so take cash. We ate waffles at Max's near the Bell Tower which apparently is the place to eat Waffles in Ghent!

One thing I would recommend if you're travelling with kids (or even without them!) is to book a private tour. I booked a guide from a relatively new company called iTours, and a lovely young chap called Nick turned up at out hotel on the first morning and took us around all the main parts of the old town and gave us a really interesting guided tour for about an hour and a half and managed to hold our 9 and 13 year olds attention spans. it was 75 euro for the 4 of us which was good value given the personal attention and the fact we pretty much had a whistle stop tour of the whole of the old town during that time. We then went back to see the Bell Tower and Castle and all the other bits and bobs afterwards at our leisure.

Room Tip: If travelling with kids and you all want to squeeze into one room to save on costs, look at booking...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Voyage_Jules1970
Write a ReviewReviews (2,039)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a great hotel. Rooms are comfortable, well-equipped and quiet. Service- extremely pleasant and helpful reception staff.

Best feature is the location; step outside straight onto a canal- side quay surrounded by old buildings and the setting just takes your breath away.

What makes it very good rather than outstanding i.e why is it not even better?

Breakfast is generally good. The food selection gives an impression of quality. The bread is excellent, the bacon is sadly Belgian - i.e. bits of meat hidden among the under-cooked fat, scrambled egg was very good, excellent fresh waffle; but a little bit mean with the hot drinks - ordered tea and got a pot which really only served one cup, so asked for coffee and was served one mug.

Parking - very convenient directly under the hotel but typical Marriott prices so quite expensive.

No swimming pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adrian_COLCHESTER
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed only for one night, passing through Ghent during our trip to Amsterdam. The hotel was very clean, nice and modern. The reception staff very helpful, and there was plenty of choice for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I believe that most of any hotel managers in Belgium would be more than happy to be allocated in this unusual hotel. Despite of the fact that is located in a lovely Belgian city Gent, when I was entering the hotel from the river’s entrance I couldn’t predict how perfectly its modern interior was integrated with the old houses of the old town outside. Spacious foyer welcomes guests with the open restaurant and a bar and a view on upper levels and huge transparent roof. I’ve got regular double room with standard equipment. Because of the location of the hotel, only a few rooms offer spectacular view towards the river. Mine wasn’t but I was very happy about good bed, tasty design of the room and very nice bathroom. I slept there like “a stone”. I the evening I was surprised by “happy hours” for the drinks and beverages for 50% of the regular price, but it was not easy to find a space to seat. I don't have to say that hotel is located in the heart of the old town (you can see it yourself on googlemaps), but it was nice to have a walk after dark around knowing that in any moment I can come back to my room :) (hehe). The service was accurate and we were not disappointed. The hotel is not the one of the cheapest in town, but definitely is worth of the money they ask for it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank I. N
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is the best Marriott I have stayed in and one of my favourite hotels full stop. Ghent is a beautiful city with tall narrow buildings overlooking the central canal. Marriott have managed a miracle with their hotel. It fits beautifully into the local architecture being long and narrow but to make this work, one side is all glass, a sweeping curve which both creates a wonderful feeling of space and light, and ask allows great views of the neighbourhood and city. The location is second to none, right on the canal and in the centre of town. To cap it all, the staff were wonderful - friendly, helpful and very efficient. This hotel is great for business, for families, and especially for a romantic weekend in beautiful Ghent.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the end rooms, overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kazakh_Andy
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My stay here went very smoothly, I thought the staff was very kind helpful. My room had a large window which let in plenty of light and a nice street view. Although my room faced the street, I had no problems with noise from cars or busses. Everything was clean in the room and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was a nice buffet every morning with a staff that seemed very attentive to keeping everything stocked. In the evenings for dinner, it was a very short walk to all the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kelly N
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here in February and enjoyed my stay. Staying on an average over 200 nights a year in hotels there are only a few that make you enjoy a stay and the Marriott Ghent (Gent) did that. The hotel is nice, clean, lots of light in the lobby/bar, serves food till pretty late, and a good breakfast. And everything you need for a stay is pretty much within walking distance. Only thing you absolutely need to be warned off is "how do you get to the hotel by car". Do not use the address from the webpage as this is a street that doesn't allows cars. Call the hotel and ask for the parking entrance street. Do not make the same mistake as myself and drive for over an hour in Ghent seeing the hotel but not being able to get to it. And as always in Europe ... parking was expensive.

Room Tip: I'm a Marriott platinum member so I got upgraded to a membership room and that one was very nice
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business