“Excelent location”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in a deluxe room, 212. We arrived early and the room wasn’t ready as yet, so we left our bags with reception and were given a map to explore.
The hotel is on the river in a lovely old building. Unsure when it was built, but is was originally the “pleasure house”. Unknown when it changed to a hotel.
The room was of a very good size consisting of a king size bed which was very comfortable, 2 arm chairs, coffee table, writing desk, tv and an empty mini bar for you so you can purchase your own goods either from a supermarket or at reception. There is a fridge where you can select drinks and ice cream. I think this is a good idea for hotels as I am sure they lose a lot of money on mini bars. The wardrobe was a very good size with plenty of hangers, shelves and drawers in the robe and in the room. There was only one robe and no slippers. We rang housekeeping and this was rectified.
The bathroom was a bit too small. The shower is over the bath, water nice and hot and good pressure. A single vanity and toilet. I say the bathroom being a bit small was due to poor design. When you get out of the shower, you either need to move further into the room or close the door. Cannot have both.
The room was very clean, the bathroom was probably the cleanest on our trip. By this, I mean the silicon around the bath was absent of mould, but the grout on some of the tiles needed a harsher clean.
Breakfast was not included in our price, but we had breakfast here anyway. Is is located in the restaurant and the room can be quite warm. It faces the river, so you can open the windows and it is really nice. I felt this was the worst breakfast I have ever had at a Marriott Hotel. It consisted of juices, water, breads, pastries, fruits, yogurts and hot food. You can order an omelette as we did on the second day, but mine was not cooked through. I like to have a glass of water in the morning and only a small bit left in the bottle. The scrambled eggs were so runny, they looked half raw – I did not touch them, though Steve did, took a couple of bites and pushed them aside. The toaster does not toast your bread, it dries it out. A new toaster is required. Service here was a bit slap dash.
The hotel is in an excellent location, with restaurants and shops very close by. Ghent is walking city, no need for a car or to catch a tram, everything is so close.
Note: if you are driving here, the address of the hotel is different to what is on the website. The website address takes you to the bridge. I would suggest you get the correct address for your gps.
I would recommend this hotel if you are coming to Ghent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jenny0401
Write a ReviewReviews (2,039)

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel it's located in front of the historical centre, with great views across the channel.
It has it's own parking which it's critical if you arrive by car
Rooms and bathroom are big and well furnished.
Nice staff.
Overall a great choice to stay in Ghent

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FGE04
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had an amazing 3 nights stay at the Ghent Marriott. Each member of the front desk staff was charming and accommodating. We were very impressed. The hotel interior is attractive, spacious, and bright for a historic 16th century building. We stayed in the presidential suite, and our view overlooking the canal and pretty buildings was awesome. The location is perfect, too. Ghent is a very lovely, walkable city. Many historic sites. The boat ride was also an enjoyable way to see Ghent and learn some of the history. The exterior of the Marriott blends right in with the medieval buildings. This is a hotel and city to savor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The location is obvious: excellent. The junior suite was substandard with an empty mini bar, very small and funny smelling bathroom, impossible to switch off a couple of lamps (unless you use the master with the card, but then everything is switched off).
Beware of check-in time: 4 pm! Result: do not arrive before or your room will not be ready...
Personnel is friendly and helpful.
Personally, I prefer the rooms of the NH Hotel and it's location is also close (but not at the canal)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kuni07
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Although this Marriott is located in a perfect location in the middle of Ghent's old town district the security they have on their WiFi offered to guests is horrendous. This WiFi is secured by a guest's password and not available to someone just sitting in the lobby. Both my wife and I had our iPhones hacked on our first day's stay and due to the hacker sending excessive emails through our accounts, both of our email accounts were shut down by our email provider until we returned home and could get our passwords reset. According to our provider, both of our accounts were sending our thousands of emails an hour until their computer system shut our accounts down. I contacted the hotel who then passed my complaint on to the company in Switzerland who provided their email service. Although I initially heard from the Swiss company and was told that they were checking on the problem, I haven't heard anything from them for the past month. I presume they are just blowing it off.
If I were a business traveler and had my email shut down for a period of time, I would be very upset.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrishinDallas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great location, great staff, delicious breakfast! Great organization for the World Cup matches! It was certainly a very pleasant stay! Congrats! The only thing that I might suggest is to full the mini bars in the rooms. Sometimes when we arrive at the hotel, we are tired and just want a sip of water or soda... Going downstairs can make us feel not very happy...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in March for my fiancé's birthday. Very friendly staff at Reception who gave us lots of tips for Ghent. Room was fine, great bed. The location of the hotel is perfect, you walk straight into the beautiful city center of Ghent. Happy hour at the bar was well organized, good atmosphere. We had a small incident at breakfast. We were brought to a nice table at the window with a beautiful view. We left our room keycard on the table and went to the buffet. When we came back another couple had taken our table. They had given our key to a waiter because they thought no one was sitting there. Thought it was a bit strange since everyone was assigned a table by the staff. Was also annoyed by the other guests who knew we were sitting there and did not say anything. Anyway, we got another table in a different room and enjoyed the nice breakfast. Would definitely stay in this hotel again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple