“A well sited hotel with great rooms and staff ”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Having seen this hotel following previous visits to Gent, I am pleased to report that it certainly stands up to scrutiny. I found the reception staff most accommodating particularly being able to arrange for the 2 rooms I'd booked to be located together on the same floor next to each other.
Being centrally located it is well sited for all the local restaurants and attractions.
My only slight gripe is the noise when parties return to the hotel late at night and the emptying of bins in the roadway under the window at 6am.
Overall, a pleasant stay and would certainly look to return in the future.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Daveadkins
Write a ReviewReviews (2,050)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Ghent. This very modern hotel sits behind a beautiful medieval facade. Walk outside and you are in the most charming area of the city - the Graslei -, and just steps to good restaurants and drinking establishments along the beautiful canal... with even more choices within minutes. Our room was large, well-designed, comfortable, and well-priced, (although we were disappointed we didn't have much of a view). The staff was helpful and friendly. My only "complaint" was that the bar was in the middle of the atrium and not very cozy, but no matter. Also, next time, I will aim for a water view or loft room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eek2006
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Breakfast is fantastic! Who would have thought that the Ghent Marriott hotel would have THE best croissants in Europe? And we tried them in 5-7 bakeries in Paris. I am sorry Marriott... that my family took two EACH for breakfast!! (But not really - sooo yummy!).

Great bed, nice pillows, very good customer service, nice lobby --fantastic menu in the bar. Who knew? We got their smoked salmon and rilette and were too full for dinner.

Hotel was nice - was hoping as a Gold Elite member I'd get an upgrade for a view room but I find all the Marriotts like this. I think you have to be platium. Great location - would stay again if I was visiting Ghent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank da_knees45
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed 3nights in June. Easy check in and we were upgraded to canal view room.Room was large, spotless and bed was so comfortable.All staff we encountered was professional,warm and accommodating. The hotels location couldn't be better for walking to all sightseeing spots nearby. Ghent is a beautiful city and I would definitely return to Marriott Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gisele600
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Enjoyed two nights at this hotel at the end of a driving tour of Europe. Lovely hotel, canal view room was spacious and had the most comfortable King Sized bed. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. Really enjoyed the stay. But be aware locating the hotel by car is a nightmare, Sat Nav totally confused! Get precise directions before travelling there.

Room Tip: We asked for a canal view room which was excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

'Ritz Carlton' service from a young enthusiast front desk staff. I was disappointed with the first 'Jr.suite' assigned to me and requested a change. On day 2 they gave me the Jr.suite with wrapped around windows on 5th floor. Always ready to make and change restaurants reservations- truly provided service with a smile.
The location of this property was an important reason for my stay. Central to everything- sites, restaurants- view of canal.
When we made our reservation, we were not aware of the music festival in Ghent during our stay and the staff were concern for 'noise' but we had no problem; esp. since we live in a major US city so we're quite use to sounds. The hotel as you check in apologized for the possible 'noise' and provided guests with ear plugs, just in case. Very thoughtful.
One more thing- it was extremely humid and warm that week in Ghent, but the room A/C was VERY GOOD! Worked beautifully despite the heat/humidity.
For the service, the nice room, location and value. Excellent!

Room Tip: Corner suite large sunny. Higher floor better view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights at the beginning of the annual jazz festival. Check in was smooth, and they offered free earplugs; major stage for festival was around the corner and music played until 2:30 am. Had no trouble falling asleep -- room was quiet, clean, and the quality one expects in a Marriott property. Staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful. Location is very central and right on the canal. Easy walks to major sights; 10 minute taxi to train station. Recommend it to business and older travelers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple