Ghent Marriott Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$108
Hotel Onderbergen(Ghent)(Great Value!)
US$144
Hotels.com
2,099 results
All reviewsperfect locationlobby barcanal view roommain canalold townbeautiful citycar parkwonderful hoteltrain stationthe heart of the cityroom was largebars and restaurantsper dayexcellent breakfastcroissantsfacadeatrium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Marriott with my brother for 3 nights and was very impressed! It was up to the standards you would expect from one of these hotels. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were incredibly comfortable! Breakfast was excellent, with a good selection and a waffle iron that allowed you to make your own waffles! The staff were also very friendly and attentive. In terms of location, you couldn't ask for any better, it's so central and picturesque! I would definitely recommend a stay here!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice hotel. Nice rooms. Don't eat there. Breakfast was a passable chain hotel sort of thing, but don't eat lunch or dinner there. Lots of late night noise from a drinking crowd if you get a riverview room. Morning views are great. Great walking nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ghent Marriott H, Front Office Manager at Ghent Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Good afternoon Madam, Sir,

Thank you for the time you took to provide us with your feedback.

I am very happy to see you scored us 4/5 for location.
Would it please be possible to provide me with more information concerning the breakfast, lunch and dinner experience as I can see you are not 100 % satisfied. To improve our service I will need more details.

My apologies for the inconvenience in the restaurant, but luckly you enjoyed your stay in the hotel overall.

Looking forward to your feedback and hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Valerie V

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night during a recent trip to Ghent to celebrate my birthday. I had requested for an early check-in and a quiet room, and were granted both. We had checked in around 11:45 a.m., and we were given a room after the receptionist checked with housekeeping whether our allotted room had been cleaned already. The room we got was indeed quiet, being at the end of the corridor and not facing the atrium. There was no view, as the room faced Drabstraat, the street of the hotel garage entrance, and looked into the apartment across the street. I had requested for a canal view, but our room was indeed quiet as the street was closed off at a certain portion so it appears that only cars seeking to park at the hotel garage passed through the street along with mopeds which could fit through the barrier.

The receptionist explained that the minibars in all the rooms were empty and were provided merely as a fridge for guests, and that refreshments were available at the lobby for purchase. While I like this setup, as I have encountered hotels with minibars equipped with sensors that automatically charge guests for even taking out items from the minibar, even just to place their own food and drinks without actually consuming the items from the minibar. Given this arrangement, however, I find it strange that the hotel still insists on a EUR 55 deposit or credit card guarantee.

The room was comfortable, with a comfortable king-size bed, a long counter, two chairs, an office swivel chair, a coffee table, and two bedside tables. We were not provided bedroom slippers. We noticed, however, that the room was quite dusty in areas that perhaps many guests overlook - the top of the headboard and the surface of shelves above the minibar. There was also a strand of hair stuck to the headboard, and this was clearly not from us as it was of a different color than that of my wife and me.

I had indicated in my email to the hotel specifying my room requests that we would be celebrating my birthday, and my birthday was of course indicated in the identification document they had requested upon check-in, but I was neither greeted nor given any token gift or concession (such as late check-out, a voucher for a drink at the bar, or even a simple birthday card or phone greeting) that would have gone a long way to making our trip and our stay at the hotel more memorable.

The hotel itself is quite nice, with a charming medieval facade along the canal, and a modern interior with an impressive atrium.

Room Tip: We parked at the Sint-Michiel (P7) garage, which is only a few minutes away from the hotel. We saved a considerable amount than if we had parked in the hotel garage. Having arrived around 11:45 a.m. on a Saturday, and left around 6:30 p.m. the following day, we only paid EUR 14.50. The hotel parking costs EUR 23 per 24 hours, and has been described as being quite tight with a steep entrance/exit that could damage the underside of your vehicle.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon Madam, Sir,

I am very pleased to read that you scored our location 5/5.

Unfortunately we could not meet all your expectations. I informed our Housekeeping Manager about your feedback concerning cleanliness and she will introduce immediate actions to solve these issues.

Upon arrival we do indeed ask for a deposit (by credit card authosiation or cash payment). If your room is settled in advance we ask for 50 EUR/night. This deposit is as a guarantee for extras such as parking cost, bar, restaurant, mini-market, room service. This makes your stay easier as you can book all the extra's to your room in stead of paying this in cash. My apologies if this made your stay less enjoyable.

I am happy to read we could manage an early check-in around noon, official check-in time is 4 PM, but we always try to do our utmost to check you in as soon as we have inspected rooms.

Madam, Sir I would really like to thank you for your feedback! This will help us to improve our service and product.

Thank you for your recent stay and I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Kindest regards,
Valerie V

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott for 2 nights at the weekend and were very pleased. The room was spacious and comfortable with a good bed and nice clean bathroom.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, right on the canal and very central. Following tips from other reviewers we used Parking 7 just round the corner, which was much cheaper (and bigger) than the hotel car park and very safe and secure.

On Friday evenings they have happy hour from 5-7.30pm with all drinks in the hotel bar half price plus free snacks and there were some musicians playing. It was busy and had a good atmosphere.

There was a festival going on in the old part of town (Patershol) that weekend. We walked through the quaint streets and it was very lively with most of the restaurants having outdoor seating. One restaurant caught our eye based on the food everyone sitting outside was eating and after walking around a bit we ventured inside. It was really busy inside too but we managed to get a table. The meal was excellent and the service good too. Also reasonably priced. It was a Turkish restaurant called Ankara and I’d highly recommend it. On Saturday night we returned to the same area and tried a restaurant call Amadeus – the place for ribs. Delicious rack of ribs with jacket potatoes and salad and they come round with more if you want them. Again, busy but reasonably priced.

As breakfast was pretty expensive in the hotel on Saturday morning we went out at about 9.15am to find somewhere cheaper. Almost everything was still shut and even McDonalds didn’t serve breakfast. Eventually we found a small tea room. Most of the cafes seemed to open after 10am. On Sunday morning we decided to have the hotel continental breakfast (€14 pp). It was very good but still pricey (full buffet is €24 pp).

I used the hotel gym which was in the basement. It was a reasonable size with 2 treadmills and a number of cross trainers and bikes. There were handweights and one small mat.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and provided a free map and advice on the key attractions.

We did a boat trip on the canal (€6.50 pp – start from 10am), walked to the top of the Belfort tower, visited the Mystic Lamb (wouldn’t recommend it unless you are particularly keen on that sort of thing) and walked the lovely streets. Plus a bit of retail therapy of course.

Overall the Marriott is a great base for a short stay in Ghent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014

It's a nice property in a great location. The beds are so lovely and comforting. The lobby is welcoming and airy so I was happy to sit and eat by myself when my friends were elsewhere. But the staff of this hotel is above and beyond anything I have experienced elsewhere. This calm helpful friendly alert group of people obviously take pride in what they do and were totally at my service. There was coffee put in my hand by magic while they printed my ticket for the train, which they had previously booked on line for me in a very busy moment. That's just an example but there were many such moments, where my worry about how I would manage something was capably and sweetly addressed. Thanks so much.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends