“Wonderful Hotel in a Wonderful Location !”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is an ideal hotel for visiting Ghent, the location is excellant, right in the heart of the old town on the canal. The hotel itself is a modern design which fits wonderfully into its surroundings, it is clean, the rooms are large with a good sized bathroom and the most comfortable bed in the world !

The town itself is enchanting with lots of places to visit and a great selection of restaurants and places to have a beer whilst watching the world go by. I would recommend that you purchase the museum pass which allows you access to all sites for a considerable lower rate!

Overall I would recommend Ghent and this hotel for a lovely weekend break!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,040)

Reviewed 19 May 2009

We took a four day break in Ghent which is a great little city. The Marriot could not be better located, as it is literally part of one of the best canal views in Ghent. You're minutes away from the city center, the main central sites of interest and some great restaurants, bars and cafes.

The hotel has a grand, glass roofed lobby/bar which looks beautiful lit up at night. This makes the rather generic rooms that bit more disappointing. Our room was spotless though and very comfy and the bed was the best I've experienced in any hotel. Air conditioning worked, there was plenty of space and storage, and the bathroom was neat and had everything we needed.

The staff were very friendly and very helpful. We had no problems switching rooms after roadworks woke us on the first morning. We didn't try the breakfast at 20 euros a head and instead went to some of the really nice cafes in the area.

A few things would have improved the room, such as free access to the internet and more milk provided with the tea and coffee. All together though we felt it was well worth paying at the higher end of the Ghent price range to ensure we had a super comfortable base.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ResearchTraveller
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Excellent hotel in excellent location, very helpful, great facilities, food, restaurant - very central hotel for an amazing city - well worth a visit - only downside to Ghent is that it does not have an airport of its own for easier access

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank Helmet_8
Reviewed 25 April 2009

My wife and I booked the "romance package" which placed us in a corner room overlooking the Canal. We absolutely loved the room and the Champagne and Belgium Chocolates were a nice touch. Large bed that was very comfortable and also the bathroom was very user friendly. Shower was great. The hotel is has a modern feel with a nice bar. The location in Ghent is perfect. In fact this IS the hotel to stay at in Ghent. My only problem was they didn't have our reservation in their computer when we arrived -- despite the fact I had an email confirmation. But they made amends very quickly. Also they were not real helpful regarding places to go, places to see...we even had to ask for the map (i'm guessing they do a lot of repeat business travelers). The breakfast was nice, but the eggs way too runny and bacon not crispy enough per american standards. Worth it if included in your hotel price though. My other complaint would be that the internet access is way overpriced 20 dollars per day (ridiculous). However, we would definitely stay here again. Charlotte, NC

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdanner
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Nice new hotel right in the middle of Ghent medieval centre. Not exactly a 5 star super luxury hotel though, but very solid 4 stars. Great looking lobby! I would strongly recommend River View room since the view does make the difference. Review is based on two night stay in April’09.

Location:
Wonderful central location next to canal, plenty of medieval houses & lots of different bars and restaurants right next to the hotel. Castle is 500m away and maybe 2km to the Gent-Sint-Pieters railway station (taxi cost 8€).

Room:
Had a River View room in 1st floor with very nice view towards Room was not exactly a small one, but apart from bed, table and two stairs there wasn’t space for anything else. Room, as the rest of the hotel, was new and spotless. TV was a “regular size” LCD screen and there was the normal equipment such as safe box.

Some noise from the canal side of the hotel (which obviously has a lot of people there enjoying beers etc) but no noise from other rooms.

So all in all nothing really special or luxurious as such, but a solid room anyway.

Etc:
Breakfast was nice with extensive selection and good quality.

Didn’t try gym or bar so cannot comment them.

One strange thing: on my second day there on two separate occasions my room key card refused to work, so had to visit reception twice to get functional key card. That’s something that has never happened to me before.

Would I return there?
Yes, sure. Nice new hotel in a great location. Bit expensive though, especially with River View room premium

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dadsasdasd
Reviewed 12 April 2009

My wife and I spent a weekend touring Ghent and stayed here after reading Tripadvisor's reviews. I called the hotel and was able to get a last minute deal on an absolutely lovely room in the old section of the hotel with a view of the water and Ghent's famous towers. The location is in the middle of everything and there is on-site underground parking. Reception was kind and had prepared everything just as I had requested. Room service was delivered quickly, accurately and graciously. The room quality is excellent - ours was perhaps a unique room - with large windows overlooking the central area of town and a lovely sitting area and separate bedroom. The floors are wood, the ceilings are high, and the furniture is comfortable. Televisions are intermediate size flat panels with multiple satellite channels. The bathroom is modern and outfitted with pleasant toiletries, and has a combo tub/shower with good water pressure. We did not eat in it, but the restaurant looked excellent and quite elegant. There is not quite the polish of a 5 star hotel in terms of amenities, furnishings, and turn-down but I still rate the room very high based on its view, size, and history. All in all we enjoyed our stay very much and will certainly recommend this to our friends travelling to Ghent.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mindwanderer
Reviewed 27 March 2009

This was my second stay at the Ghent Marriott and I can only say that it is one of the nicest hotels -- in every respect -- at which I have ever stayed. Behind the beautiful medieval facade on the canal is a completely modern hotel with large, spacious rooms and bathrooms. The restaurant is wonderful and service at all levels is very far above average. When I got my reminder about my stay I requested 9:30am check-in and the room was ready when I arrived. The location is as central as you can get. Ghent itself is a medieval wonder, from the Gravensteen castle to the famous altarpiece of the Adoration of the Lamb, beguinages, and boat trips that can take you through the canals. Spend at least two days here!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business