“Fantastic”

Ghent Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We loved this hotel, any hotel we've stayed in since has not compared. We stayed for 2 nights.
The lobby area and lounge are under this amazing glass roof. The staff are very friendly and accomodating.
The room service was amazing.
We ordered breakfast and were pleasantly surprised at the amount of good quality food that was delivered. We had a tray full of food each. We didn't manage to eat it all.

Everything had that little touch of quality with everything. From a cup of coffee being supplied with a slice of chocolate cake to the breakfast in bed with a selection of things to eat. I only ordered porridge and was provided with fruit, selection of bread items inc croissant, tea and my porridge.

The bed was great, very comfortable and the biggest bed I've slept in.
The room was a great size. The bathroom was luxury.

The location is great as well. We had plenty to do and see while we were there.

We now look to stay at Marriott hotels when we go away. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AZ8
Write a ReviewReviews (2,039)

Reviewed 28 June 2009

I cannot think of a better location to stay as the Ghent Marriott is right on the Korenlei which is across from the Graslei and is the spot where everyone seems to congregate. We did get an attractive rate for a triple room including breakfast, otherwise, it would be too pricey for us. There are many dining options just a few steps away literally. We enjoyed our lunch at De Witte Leuuw across the canal on the Graslei side. The hotel itself is new, but the exterior is old and is a façade. The atrium style lobby draws tourists as we noticed several large groups taking photos of it.

We were given a room on the first floor (#104). This was a typical Marriott room yet honestly it was a good thing for the third person. It was the only hotel on our trip of staying at five hotels that offered a true double bed and not either a sofa bed or rollaway for him. The room itself was a bit small yet no complaints because it was well-equipped including a desk, two chairs, small table, reading lights, and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was roomy, had great shelf space, and had a low bathtub which was we appreciated. The only very minor complaint for myself was that the pillows were too soft resulting in neck ache.

As was the same with the other hotels we stayed at we had the breakfast included in the hotel rate. And again this was a good thing as the breakfast cost as usual was quite pricey. It’s a buffet style with the typical breakfast fare like scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, cereal, fruits, yogurt, breads and pastries.

The staff were all okay with the front desk staff the most welcoming . I would have preferred to have drinks at one of the terrace bars outside the hotel area personally, but since one of our party wanted to try the Marriott’s bar we did so. The Poppi bar was nothing extraordinary. I mean the staff did what they had to do-serve drinks-and that was it. The set up was unusual and quite strange with video screens featuring Fred Astaire movies while the flat screen TV’s were broadcasting sports simultaneously which was also really distracting.

Ghent is a fantastic city (some parts look like Bruges but it has its own personality and seems to be getting a lot of tourists when we were there), and the Marriott is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank paris_1204
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I one night here in the middle of June. I was in town for business but had a couple of hours to walk around town. The hotel is in a fantastic location along the canal perfect for strolling or getting a drink and crowd watching.

The city of Ghent is very confusing to me - I get lost every time I go there but I was pleased to see signs directing you to the Marriot and City Center hotels. I think this is the first time I made it to a hotel in Ghent without making multiple wrong turns.

The staff was very helpful and spoke excellent English. When I unexpectedly found myself with a couple of free hours they were able to give me a map of the city and help me map out a route to hit some site before they closed.

The room is very large by European standards and very modern and clean. The bathroom had very nice toilettries and the shower was fine. I was in Europe for 10 days and 4 different cities and this was by far the most comfortable bed I had in Europe - I had a great nights sleep.

The breakfast buffet was really pricey (23 euros) and not worth it if it is not included in the room rate in my opinion. Walk down the canal and find some more reasonable. I

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank AAS
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Arrived from the US and was able to check into the room as soon as I arrived at the hotel. That was very nice to unwind and lie down for a bit before starting to walk through the cozy cobblestone streets.

The hotel staff was very accommodating and would always great one with a smile. As others have mentioned before the hotel elevators seemed to have a mind of their own. You need to insert your room key for it to operate. At times it didn't want to move then, but, after a few tries of the card key in and out it would work. Nothing major!

The hotel bar named Poppi was a very nice bar with very nice bartenders. They would make all kind of drinks there and were more than happy to suggest other drinks to make. They also shared their knowledge of the city and would recommend sights to see if asked.

I had a great stay there and would stay there again in a heart beat. I'd recommend this hotel to others who want a nice safe hotel. This hotel was walking distance to many out door cafe's and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank DFW_Murray
Reviewed 18 June 2009

We returned to this hotel as we were impressed the first time. But the prices seem to have shot up and the service gone down. We paid 150 euro for a room with a view over a wall. Breakfast would have cost us a further 22 euro each which we declined. Service at the front desk was less than attentive at check out and check in.

But the room was very comfortable and clean with a good bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and the location can't be faulted. But that doesn'tmake up for the overpricing - its still only a Marriott!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2009

This is a spotlessly clean, model hotel, right in the heart of Ghent on the bank of the river. The entrance from the street is very modern, but the entrance onto the river bank is part of the traditional building along the river side. It is right in the middle of all the sights which were an easy walk away.

Some of the local streets were closed for road works when I went here which made finding my way through the narrow maze of one way streets, even with the sat nav, quite a challenge.

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke good English.

I was let into my room at 14:00 and you do not have to be out until 12:00. The room service staff were not banging on the door at dawn which was good.

The electronic key which you need to go up in the lift and to get into your room was a bit fiddly. You have to put it in and out of the slot very quickly to get it to work. I have never understood why they design them like this.

The room has everything you could need including good storage space, coat hangers, air conditioning, a safe, chairs, a desk and desk chair and a TV which had BBC1 and BBC2 on it as well as CNN and a range of continental stations. There were also pay per view options, but I did not bother with those.

The bed was vey big and comfy.

My Dutch is not good enough to work out if you could park on the street or not. I used the hotel’s underground garage. It is €18 a day (less if you are there for less than 8 hours). The day seems to be up to 24 hours from when you check in. As it was pouring with rain the morning I left, it was good to be undercover whilst loading the car. Be warned the car park is a bit tight if you have a larger car.

There is internet in the room, but it is extra and I did not bother.

The hot is aimed partly at business users and has a conference facility. There was some kind of event going on whilst I was there, but it was not too intrusive.

At €22, I decided the hotel breakfast was not worth it. There was a lot there, but I can’t eat that much at breakfast. Instead I went to a place called Krokantino. To get there go left out of the river entrance of the hotel along Korenlei which is the river bank road.. Then turn right over the bridge and go straight on along Hooiaard. At the left had corner oat the end of street is Krokantine. It serves various breakfasts from 09:00 to 11:00 (09.30 on Sunday) and the staff speak English.

For my evening meal, I found everywhere in Ghent was very busy. To even get a table to sit and have a drink along either side of the river seemed impossible. However I found a place called Le Grill. To get there, go right out of the river entrance of the hotel and walk down Korenlei alongside of the river. , It is just before St. Michael's Bridge which is the first one you get to and it has tables spread out across the river bank. The river banks are a very popular spot in the day and night when the weather is good. At, night most of Ghent is illuminated.

Don’t forget to climb the Belfort and look in the Cathedral.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank wolf1234
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Given the rather high RAC rates and the Marriott name, we expected a 5 star hotel; it is not!
We stayed 4 days during the week, when the hotel is mostly booked with corporate guests and hosting corporate events. Our rate was 219 euro for a river view room; add to that the price of breakfast, 18 euro parking and internet and you have a 5 star price (higher than 5 star hotel in Brussels). We complained about the small size of the room, and eventually the hotel agreed to include breakfast, to keep us.
The rooms are very smalll indeed, the bathrooms (with only washbasin) are tiny, even in the suites we visited. Most of the the staff is raher robot like. Very few rooms have river view, most rooms have therefor no view at all; inside the hotel is modern and austere; the architects missed the opportunity to create the authentic historic feeling you get when strolling outside, as indeed the location must be one of the best in Europe with houses between 500 and 800 year old. In all nearby restaurants (such as the Belgaqueen) the interior matches the outdoor facade, so you can then see what I mean.
The Marriott missed the opportunity to create a truly 5 star hotel which the city deserves and stil lacks. Breakfast is great, and so is the lunch, latter which at 35 euro including wines is indeed very good value. The location and views from the restaurant are amazing; again the service is robot lke.
If you want a bigger room at far lower prices I suggest the NH Hotel (ex Sofitel) 500metrs away, and also facing histroic sites.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple