“Cosy little restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“Cosy little restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were so surprised to find that Marco Polo Trattoria were able to find us a table for two so late in the evening on Good Friday, especially after reading a previous review.
Good service, super-friendly staff, we both enjoyed a couple of beers with a pizza and pasta main course each.
Highly recommend, but not cheap.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Chester, United Kingdom
“Cosy relaxed locals trattoria!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Saw this lovely little restaurant whilst wondering the side streets of Ghent one afternoon. Asked our concierge to book but couldn't get in until 2 nights later. Was worth the wait. Pizzas great! Salads and deserts really good too. Lovely Italian trattoria feel and full of locals not tourists. No menu in English which underlined fact more of a locals place than usual tourist fare. Only take cash so be warned so you don't have to make the hike to the cah point. Would recommend and definitely go back.

• Visited April 2014
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“No Room At The Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Ghent is a delightful city but, of course, still has the inevitable array of tourist trap eateries mostly in the squares. After trudging around looking for just the right kind of quality place at the end of a long day, it was immediately clear that The Marco Polo, tucked in one of the trendy lanes was not one of them; it's quietly inviting - the decor, the layout, the wonderful aromas (to say nothing of the reasonable prices!) and the welcome...... oh dear....
The majority of tables were empty but, no, 'if you haven't reserved then, I'm afraid, we are full.'
Now, my wife and I are, I hope, a reasonably respectable looking couple (and there didn't seem to be dress code). Maybe all of the empty tables were about to be filled by the kind of forward planning guests that any self-respecting establishment must depend on. But, no, there was no room.... Disappointed and a little confused, we made our way back to our car park - too tired and hungry to face one of the cafés on the main square. Out of sheer bloody mindedness I decide to call The Marco Polo to see if I could reserve a table. 'When would you like sir?' 'Well, now, if that would be convenient.' 'Certainly sir, we have a table available.' 'But you didn't have a table available when we came into the restaurant just a few minutes ago - why is that?' 'Well, I was........wrong.'
You certainly were.

1 Thank Marsocky
Sydney, Australia
“So attentive, fantastic night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

After having made a booking, we arrived only to be seated at the table near the kitchen. I wasn't super happy but didn't make any comment, not wanting to spoil the night for my husband! After our drinks were served a table became available at the front of the restaurant. The waiter asked if we'd like to be moved to that new table. I was SO appreciative of the thoughtfulness of this gesture. I would have managed at our current table but it was just an extra level of thoughtfulness from the owner. After a delicious and generous entree of Bruschetta and a traditional italian pizza each, we finished our meal with ice cream and Tiramisu. With a half bottle of wine and a beer, the bill came to E59 which I thought was reasonable. We were also offered a complimentary tea and coffee which added to my high praise and experience of this restaurant. After spending 3 hours talking, drinking and eating (it is a 'slow food' restaurant), we can say we had a fantastic night at Marco Polo!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
“Good food, help full service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Friendly helpful service. I had a lovely pizza, very tasty, yummy bruschetta. I was with a group of friends and we all enjoyed our dinner. The waiters were particularly helpful and friendly. The decor was warm and relaxed, very pleasant. Would recommend this.

Visited February 2014