“An authentic Flemish dining experience”
Review of De Avonden - CLOSED

De Avonden
Price range: US$19 - US$25
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Go to the de Avonden if you are seeking good value, home cooking Flemish style. The setting is unusual - in a house that barely gives the impression of having been converted to a restaurant - yet fits the cooking style and overall experience perfectly. The whole family seems involved (we were served by the owner's charming daughter). Definitely worth the 10-15 minute walk from the historic centre of town. Closed at weekends.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

I have been to this restaurant several times, and still love it. Although for a students wallet it`s a bit on the expensive side, but special occasions can always be found to ignore that because the food, the service and the atmosphere are soo worth it ;-) enjoy some genuine flemish dishes with that little extra flavour in an easy going, home-like place

2  Thank bruna71
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We really liked the look of this restaurant and walked across town to visit it, only to find it was closed on Saturday and Sunday, according to the friendly lady in the wine store next door.

3  Thank katie48
Reviewed 12 May 2011

..but not slick or precious. De Avonden is the type of place that when you tell your Flemish friends you'll be going there, they say "Oh! You know De Avonden! That is a fine place!" Then they ask you how you found out about it and you smile knowingly and let them think you are a genius/ cool-hunter when in fact you just got tipped to it by another local who didn't mind sharing a favorite spot.

Consider this: you WILL need to reserve. And a previous reviewer said it: don't sit under that chalk board unless you want folks like me standing before you, perhaps glancing at your plate while the offerings are translated for you. You'll see what I mean when you get there. That said:

It's the real Flemish deal...fish, meat, game, dished out with a casual style and grace. This is not for those who need trendy, flashy, gimmicky food (which has it's place, trust me, but not here in this homey, quietly elegant spot)

The location: a lovely spot in a neighborhood not far from Dampoort station.

The decor: god help me, I suppose some would call it shabby-chic, but that suggests trendy, and it just ain't. It's, well, it's got antiques, but not fussy ones. It's got an old world style without being heavy or dark. It's just right.

The food: fish is treated with respect, vegetables are not --as with many 'traditional' kitchens--cooked to the point where you need dental records to identify them. Ow, that's a back handed compliment, but what I mean is, the food is hearty, but restrained and vegetables get their due here.

I had the cod, which had a lovely kelp garnish that you could eat--or photograph. It was beautifully presented.

I didn't have either a starter or dessert...you would have had to take me out on a gurney in that case--if you want to sample those starters, you are going to have to come very, very hungry.

Something I've not run into before: want a glass of wine, but your companion doesn't? Ask for the house red or white, and it will be poured by the glass. The waiter will simply eyeball what's left and you get charged accordingly.

Service: what I love best about what I have come to think of as Belgian style: friendly but unobtrusive. You will get all the assistance and attention you want, without the forced smiles you can get in some places, and if you need any little thing, you just ask.

Price: very, very reasonable considering that you probably won't have to eat for a week afterwards. Ok, I am exaggerating, but I was very glad for even the short bike ride 'home' afterwards...I felt quite fortified, and ended up doing a few extra laps on the bike on that cool spring evening my last night in Belgium before turning in after a lovely meal in a lovely city.

4  Thank rodefiets
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We ate here on a Tuesday night after booking the night before. We had a choice of 18:30 or 21:30 so went for the early time.
On arrival there was one other couple there, but the place filled up over the evening.
The menu is a blackboard in the dining room, don't sit under it unless you like people staring over you as you eat !
We didn't have any starters, I had a white fish (the name of which eascapes me) and my wife had the rabbit. The fish arrived on a bed of mashed potato, the rabbit in a casserole with side dishes of roast potatoes, brocolli in a cheese sauce and a red cabbage salad.
We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals, everything was cooked superbly and had good flavour. The service was friendly and they were happy to help, especially with translation of the menu.
Desserts follwed, a chocolate pie in chocaolate and cream sauce and a rice pudding. Both desserts finished off the meal in fine style, and finished off my wife and myself. we were well stuffed.
If we find ourselves in Gent again then we will certainly try to eat here again.

2  Thank 750nig