“feels like you are at the school restaurant”
Review of de kastart

de kastart
Ranked #170 of 911 Restaurants in Ghent
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had great expectations because a lot of students talked very highly about this restaurant. I thought the spaghetti wasn't that good although the biggest part of the student population might disagree, I wonder how good their mother 's spaghetti is if they really like this one. My experience was also the one of a school restaurant because they want you gone out of the restaurant as soon as you've finished your dish.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

If you're looking for a quick lunch, this is a good place. The special "Kastart" sauce is delicious! But be careful, don't order a big one i you're not very hungry. The portion is about the size of a large salad bowl.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Been there 3 times. The first time, I was expecting a lot since everybody in Ghent was talking about how good their spaghetti was. After my first spaghetti there, I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about but since I was in bad company, I figured I had to give it another try. Went there with colleages at noon for a second time: this place is so hectic and crowded: NOT relaxing or cosy. I chose macaroni with ham this time: not good at all (and so thought my colleague who had the same.) Greasy, heavy, ovecooked pasta.

Third time I tried the spaghetti again (a small portion this time. It still is equal to a normal sized portion for me) It was ok, but I can cook tastier sauce myself. Cheap overcooked pasta with a greasy sauce at a relatively high price (compared to what it's worth.)

And still: this place is so crowded every day that it must be a goldmine. It's the Mac Donald's amongst the spaghetti restaurants.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The place is very popular among students and young people. The price is sharp, a medium spaghetti fills you for the rest of the day. So you could easily settle with a smalle. Go for the spaghetti Kastart, which is creamy, with a bit of garlic, and delicious.
Come in early, and calculate some time to find a free chzir. There is no possiblility to make reservations, as the people come and go very quick.
If you don't have time, you can also take-away the sauce!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The spaghetti is great, there's a wide array of choices. But the place is very popular (especially with students), so if you don't come early (by 6PM) you'll have to wait for about 10 minutes to be seated. It's also rather noisy so not well-suited for important business lunches or quiet romantic dinners. But if you don't mind the above, you'll be happy with your affordable and yummy food.

You can also order sauces to take home, that's even cheaper.