“You feel like a chicken squeezed into a crowded cage.”
Review of de kastart

de kastart
Ranked #178 of 859 Restaurants in Ghent
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ghent, Belgium
“You feel like a chicken squeezed into a crowded cage.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Can't deny that the spaghetti is indeed good. But the atmosphere ruins everything.
You feel like a chicken squeezed into a crowded cage. The tables are too close to each other.
You can hardly hear yourself or your company speaking because the place is just too crowded.
In the meantime people who are just coming are sweeping their behinds over your table because they need to move sideways to get to their own table.

I barely took my seat and the waitress is already standing at the table asking me what I want. I didn't even look into the menu card yet. Ordered a small spaghetti Kastart. Got served within 5 minutes. Which is, in my opinion, way too fast.

Done eating so how about a last drink? Oh no never mind, I can feel the eyes of the staff piercing through the back of my head. They want us to pay and get out because there are other customers standing in line. And they only take cash.

If you want to go to a cosy restaurant and have a chat with friends and family and most of all ENJOY your food, go elsewhere. Only come to Kastart if you're in a hurry.

Maybe try and come NOT during peak hours.

This isn't a restaurant, it's a factory.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Deinze
“spaghetti restaurant”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Good price-quality restaurant, mostly known for its spaghetti dishes. Book a table because allways full.

Visited September 2013
Belgium
“feels like you are at the school restaurant”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had great expectations because a lot of students talked very highly about this restaurant. I thought the spaghetti wasn't that good although the biggest part of the student population might disagree, I wonder how good their mother 's spaghetti is if they really like this one. My experience was also the one of a school restaurant because they want you gone out of the restaurant as soon as you've finished your dish.

• Visited December 2012
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“Great spaghetti”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

If you're looking for a quick lunch, this is a good place. The special "Kastart" sauce is delicious! But be careful, don't order a big one i you're not very hungry. The portion is about the size of a large salad bowl.

Visited January 2013
Ghent, Belgium
“Below average”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Been there 3 times. The first time, I was expecting a lot since everybody in Ghent was talking about how good their spaghetti was. After my first spaghetti there, I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about but since I was in bad company, I figured I had to give it another try. Went there with colleages at noon for a second time: this place is so hectic and crowded: NOT relaxing or cosy. I chose macaroni with ham this time: not good at all (and so thought my colleague who had the same.) Greasy, heavy, ovecooked pasta.

Third time I tried the spaghetti again (a small portion this time. It still is equal to a normal sized portion for me) It was ok, but I can cook tastier sauce myself. Cheap overcooked pasta with a greasy sauce at a relatively high price (compared to what it's worth.)

And still: this place is so crowded every day that it must be a goldmine. It's the Mac Donald's amongst the spaghetti restaurants.

• Visited March 2013