All reviews helford river hot tub jacket and tie dress code for dinner health spa swimming pool hole golf course superior room tennis courts snooker room signature room glendurgan gardens superb food visited this hotel hotel grounds relaxing stay self catering
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband & I have stayed at this Hotel a few times and we throughly our stay yet again. The staff, food and Hotel is fantastic I would recommend this Hotel to anybody who likes to get away from it all. If you walk through the gardens you will end up by the Heleford River absolute bliss, it is so relaxing. Also the hotel offers massages, facial treatments well worth a try.

Penny & Jim

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. No doubt an externally beautiful hotel – with fantastic access to walks and marvellous countryside/gardens. I’m not a golfer – but the course looked very good. Criticisms mainly because the stay costs £200 a night – which means that the hotel must be more than externally good. Room large and pretty clean. Breakfast was fine. However – bathroom was very tired – reminded me of my parents’ bathroom circa 1980 – nothing special– usual boring soap etc. Mattress had a bit of double dip and extractor fan was not clean. Dining area was all in yellow (!) – very boring continental breakfast buffet – no cheese /ham slices, boring bread, sale croissant. A lot of staff taking individual orders for cooked breakfast which seems very inefficient – why not provide an outstanding buffet? – owners could take inspiration from any reasonable Austrian ski hotel. Some of the audible chat amongst reception staff indicated to me that the owners are not aroudn too often. A lot of older (regulars?) who probably don’t mind. Overall – wonderful position – but expensive - nothing that a bit of internal investment would not cure.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank 3HappyTraveller3
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This is the first review I have ever written but I do not know of another way to express my fury at the contemptuous way the Directors of this establishment must view their clientele by not bothering to respond to my serious complaint. The way in which my meal was served resulted in my having nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhoea, which obviously ruined an otherwise enjoyable stay. I told Reception the next day and got a somewhat casual "sorry to hear that" response. I thought I would get a letter of apology and an assurance that the problem, which had resulted in my sickness, had been addressed. When I heard nothing I thought I must write to the Directors as, had I been in charge of such an establishment charging iro 300 per night, I would want to know. It is now over a month and I have not even had the courtesy of an e-mail or phone call, let alone a written response. I know what happened to me and why, as does my husband who is a Physician. This is no way for a top hotel to treat its guests, especially when the criticism was intended as constructive and for the benefit and safety of all future guests. D.A.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jocaan
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife, 16 month old daughter and I stayed here from 14-16th July 2011. We paid £526.00 for two nights with bed and breakfast and one night dinner on 15th July for my Wife's 40th Birthday.

On arrival the receptionist Wendell was very friendly and courteous. The reception staff were all very courteous. Wendell said somebody would help us with our baggage. Jon the porter assisted me but seemed to bemoan the fact he was working on a sunny day and half-heartedly assisted me with the bags as I carried most of them myself.

The rooms are jaded and need a massive overhaul. Our room 63 had a great view over-looking part of the golf course. The bedroom doors need cleaning. The interior of the lobby and corridors all need mass refurbishment.

We stayed at this hotel in July 2005 and since then there seems the hotel has become worn out.

The food in the restaurant was good but not exceptional for the price we paid. Breakfast was a buffet which offered local produce. The evening meal was of good standard but the dining area setting is old world and needs a total revamp.

The staff in the restaurant did not smile enough and appeared at unease. James and Wendell were very professional.

The hotel gardens are beautiful and some lovely walks.

My wife used the spa facilities and enjoyed it immensely. The staff very professional.
My wife did comment that the spa area needs to be refurbished.

There was no bar menu when we sat out on the lawn to grab some afternoon tea. The barman just said "we have everything..."

I was surprised that only a limited number of rooms were accessible to guests with restricted mobility.

I was delighted to see that the room had a bag for recycling.

The night before we stayed in a B&B that cost only £70 for us three for one night. The establishment was way ahead of Budock Vean.

In my opinion this hotel is over-priced and I would not recomment this hotel to friends or family.

I hope the directors invest in something that was once great and make it great again. I feel that the staff have so much potential to offer great customer service all the time and not just some of the time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Philip19700
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The two of us went for the a weekend , we found the room very clean and nice bedding, the pool is a really good size also a steam room and jacuzzi all really clean. The food was great and all the staff really friendly and helpful. There is also a good size golf course and some nice walks. The treatments I had were lovely (done by Sam) All in all we have had a really relaxing break the only thing is the decor is a little dated.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple